No chill and hop additions

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simchez

Reaction score
Hey. I am doing a pacific ale clone BIAB and no chilling soon. Do i need to alter the hop time additions? Out of the software out there is there one where can you just press a button and it will alter it for you?

brewmate is free, doesn't alter the timing, just alters the ibu contribution from each addition

This is one of those questions where there are a heap of different answers depending on who you ask.

What works for me and my system is adjusting all my hop additions by 15 minutes to make up for the extra time the hops are in contact with hot wort. For example.
  • 60 minute additions go in a 45 minutes
  • 30 minute additions go in a 15
  • 20 minute additions go in at 5
  • 15 minutes go in at 0
Anything less than 15 minutes gets a mini-boil in about 5 litres of wort on the stove and chilled prior to pitching.

This works for my system, and is by no means the only method.

I've recently been adding a small bittering addition at 60 minutes then a massive cube hop (usually calculated as 15 minutes) for the rest of the bitterness and flavour +/- dry hopping after a week or so of fermentation. My best ever APA was made with this method. Huge hop flavour and aroma and very well balanced bitterness.

JD

I use brew mate, and just calculate my cube additions as 20 minute additions.

My house APA is 100% cube hopped and calculated at 30 ibu, gives a great smooth bitterness to the beer too.

Latest posts

Back