Nice Neutral Bittering Hop...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

0M39A

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just about to do an order, and need to get some more nice high alpha bittering hops.

normally i use pacific gem, but its out of stock atm, any good suggestions?

cheers

Was thinking northern brewer, but its a tad low in AA.

southern cross is more like it!

If your'e ordering from Ross see if they still have those Newport hops for $4 - they are BITTER so go carefully.

crap, forgot to put in the first post.

going to try an english ipa for the first time, whats a decent yeast? I have pretty much no experience with english beers, only made a couple in my time that turned out a bit average (using s-04)

[edit]

newport not avaliable. only 11%aa and was 04 crop... would have lost a bit by now i would think...

I like Warrior when they're on special. Same warning as BribieG's about Newport, 15%AA so you need accurate scales. Ye Olde Handfulle don't cut it when a couple grams makes 5IBU difference.

ahh, didnt notice warrior hiding there on the next page :p

reckon ill just stick with southern cross, already in the cart, and its fresher.

already used to working with pacific gem with is around 15%, but that said, i love plenty of bitterness, so its only an issue when working to style :p

crap, forgot to put in the first post.

going to try an english ipa for the first time, whats a decent yeast? I have pretty much no experience with english beers, only made a couple in my time that turned out a bit average (using s-04)

[edit]

newport not avaliable. only 11%aa and was 04 crop... would have lost a bit by now i would think...

Yeah, I find s04 a bit....tame. I know others like it, but not enough character for me. For dry, try Nottingham, its the better choice of the 2 imo. But liquid rocks, 1275 is my personal fave, but might be better suited to esb or best bitter. Or 1968 and 1318 are both reccomended for IPA.

sorry, should have mentioned im looking more at liquid, not dry.

already have a pack of nottingham in the fridge, i like using it at 16C in apa's :p

mate if you are after liquids, i have used the wyeast esb in a few bitters and its lovely, there might be better out there, but this wont dissapoint.

Magnum for the hop, WY1318 for the yeast. Not a big fan of english beers so I can't say that 1318 fits the beer that way, but a good yeast none the less. I had trouble with WY1335 clearing, though others seem to rave about it.

I'm a fan of Northern Brewer, in spite of its' relative low AA% as a bittering hop.
I think it is fairly neutral, and allows your later flavour and aroma hops to do their thing.

Kiwi Super A is OK. Base hop for all James Squire beers. Look for hops with low co-humulone for smooth and assertive bitterness.

Green Bullet and Chinook for bittering for me lately, don`t mind Mt. Hood for a finisher when you can get them.

staggalee.

i've found warrior quite inoffensive... then i've only needed 10g at a time (at 15% AA) and i usually drown out my brews with flavour/aroma hops...

Magnum for the hop, WY1318 for the yeast.

Are you reading my mind? I use 1318 in all of my English and American style ales. I use Magnum to bitter almost all of my beers. It gives a great smooth bitterness and doesn't get in the way of the flavour additions added later. You just can't go wrong with Magnum.

Latest posts

Back