Newcastle! Where To Drink?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah another +1 for Clarendon and Mary Ellen, probably the only places you can find a half decent tap beer in Newwy. Check out Warners at the Bay if you can get there, the bottle has an amazing selection of beer.

A quick run down as far as I know at present:

Adamstown Bowling Club - (where Hunter United Brewers club meets) Murray's Nirvana and Hunter Bock on tap (a wee bit from the city centre)

Mary Ellen - as of last week included Moo Brew Velvet Sledgehammer and Pale Ale, Mountain Goat Steam Ale, Hofbrau Maibock, Schofferhoffer Hefe, S&W Pacific Ale, Kronenbourg, Hoegaarden, Little Creatures Bright Ale (normally a regular tap here, but I don't like it so don't check) and bottles of Budvar Dark for $5 - sadly the Coopers Vintage Ale not on

Clarendon - Little Creatures Pale regular tap plus 2 guest - I believe now is 4 Pines Kolsch and Pale

Albion - haven't been for a couple of months, last I knew was S&W Pacific Ale, McClaren Vale Ale, White Rabbit White Ale

Northern Star (Hamilton) - full range of James Squires on tap - Pilsner, Golden, Amber, IPA and Porter - always has the Mad Brewers release on tap when out. One of the few pubs anywhere that has IPA on tap - all at $5.90 an imperial pint and on one of the best eating strips in Newy (no affiliation, just my work local)

The Brewery - used to have Alpha Ale on tap not sure if still does

Pickings are slim from here on. Honeysuckle you will find Dockyard with perhaps Murrays Whale Ale and Dark Knight, and Schofferhoffer or Erdinger. Silo as mentioned has good bottle range - you can do worse than a pot of Mussells and a Belgian from here.

Cliff

I was going to suggest we go to the Hairy Mellon (Mary Ellen) for those from out of town, its fairly central and has a good range of beers, the food is pretty good and its only about $10 by taxi to everywhere, if anyone wants to keep drinking after.
Mark

The Wicko ~ bog stadard Australian pub but it has whale ale on tap. Good pub grub.

+1 Adamstown Bowlo.

Home of the Hunter United Brewers (HUB) plus Murrays Nirvana and Hunter Beer Co. Bock are only $4.30 a schooner...

Chhers
Booz

[quote name='The Ol' Boozeroony' post='794858' date='Jul 14 2011, 10:45 AM']+1 Adamstown Bowlo.

Home of the Hunter United Brewers (HUB) plus Murrays Nirvana and Hunter Beer Co. Bock are only $4.30 a schooner...[/quote]
And a stones throw away from Mugs Brewery/Chateau Mugaux... ;)

I think everything else has been covered...it's not hard to get a good beer in a pub up here.

I just got back from having a Vale Ale and a Stone Pacific Lager at the Albion Hotel in Wickham. While there I spoke with Corey Crooks the owner, he said, "they were adding 10 taps and will soon 20 taps and 1 hand pull. All but 3 will be devoted to craft beers". This is great news for Newcastle but probably not soon enough for your weekend. There were still plenty of great beers to be had on draft and in bottle.

Big thanks for the big respone! Cheers all... you can all sleep easy knowing I'll now be able to trick... I mean enjoy the sights of Newcastle with my wife and sample some great beers. Def going to try and check out Murrys or one of the other breweries out of town. is Murrys the pick of the 3 (guessing it is)?

I would put Murrys and Potters on the same level, and while I am ranting it is worth seeung Blue Tongue just for the size.

I would put Murrys and Potters on the same level, and while I am ranting it is worth seeung Blue Tongue just for the size.

My sister in law turned up at Potters yesterday and was told there was no bottled beer to take away. So if you plan on taking some home, I'd recommend Murray's.

+1 for the Clarendon. Was there last night and they had Coopers Vintage on tap. Thats as far as I got any of the others but had a good selection.

Thought I'd do a little update for those who care...

So we visited Newcastle for a few days, and managed to score some decent weather for winter time.

Checked out a few places:

Clarendon Hotel. First night was here... pretty bust little place, food was decent. I got the ribs, def reccomend! They had an OK assortment on tap and the barman was very helpful and said they'd be getting more on soon. I had a Fanny's from Burleigh Brewing, and a White Rabbit dark ale. They seem to be proud about having White Rabbit on tap around there?

After the Clarendon we went down to the waterfront to check out Silo, who advertise in Beer&Brewer as being Newcastle premiere boutique beer venue.... umm, did I miss something? We had a look and they only had 1-2 taps? Must have been bottled? Anyway, the vibe didn't look too impressive so we went nextdoor to the The Dockyard where it was pumping. They had some reall good tap beers AND they had awesome bottled beers... I had a Rogue Dead Guy ale and a Renaissance IPA, good prices as well...

Next day we walked around town, had a few local brews... Tooheys Old, terrible! Checked out the Brewery, nice spot, had an Alpha Pale ale that didn't taste as good as I'd had before... That night we went to Mary Ellen for some grub. Parma was OK, seafood basket was great. They had some great beers on tap, pick of the bunch. The atmosphere is not the greatest here, but too much like a TAB/Sports bar & bistro... but the beers made up for it. Shame I'd just missed the very well priced keg of Moo Brew Stout! Bugger...

Next day we went to Potters Brewery... we were there at 11am, I give em that, but no service and bit of a ghost town. We eventually got served some drinks. I had the paddle... some nice beers. The Pale was the standout (I think). Then it was off to Murrays. We did the little tour, was quite cool to see the brewery shed in action! Always gives me hope when I see a small brewery rocking along... the old 'I could do this one day'. Had a pricey pizza here that was AWESOME and worth it. Sat around in the sun for 3 hours chugging back 2IPA's... mmm tasty! Got a Shawn's Fault BIPA and an Imperial IPA for the road, headed back to the airport and cruised off!

I'm lucky to have a great wife!!!

Latest posts

Back