New to brewing will this recipe turn out right?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leo_Dean

Reaction score
Recipe NIEPA #1

Water:

Distilled or RO water

5.6 grams gypsum

7.5 grams calcium chloride

Grains:

Maris Otter extra pale 1.75kg

2 row 1.75kg

Flaked oats 2kg

Flaked wheat 1kg

Honey malt 0.5kg

Carapils 0.5

Lactose 500g at end of boil

Hops:

2 oz of citra + 1 oz mosaic + 1 oz galaxy at whirlpool

London fog ale yeast

4 oz of citra+ 2 oz mosaic + 2 Oz galaxy dry hopped

Also I know their will be people telling me not to do a NEIPA if I’m still new to brewing but I’m gonna do it anyway 🤷🏻‍♂️.

Appreciate any and all advice.

Maris Otter is a 2 row malt.
What's the other 2 row listed?
I've never seen Honey malt in Australia. Is this an USA recipe?

Can't help you otherwise, as I've never brewed a NEIPA and I never will (they're just not my thing), but if it floats your boat, I'm sure others on here will have better answers for you.

Can't help you otherwise, as I've never brewed a NEIPA and I never will (they're just not my thing), but if it floats your boat, I'm sure others on here will have better answers for you.
My bad, I was thinking of using caramalt as my second base malt.

Considering the use of ounces in all the hop additions it sure looks American.

Honey malt is the American name for a version of braumalt, Weyermann Melanoidin would be a fair substitute, just a little more aromatic and biscuity, the Gambrinus honey malt is a little more on the toffy caramel end of the spectrum.
Might be worth using UK Caramalt rather than Carapillis if you are looking for the sweetness of honey malt.

The people telling you that NEPIA may not be the best place to start are in fact right. It’s a problematic style unless you are well set up and know what you are doing; particularly when it comes to oxygen exclusion.
Read up on low dissolved oxygen brewing before making a NEPIA, especially if you want the beer to last for more than a couple of days before it goes to shite.
It would be a good idea to learn your brewing skills on something a bit less challenging.
Mark

PS
Caramalt is a spcialty malt not a base malt, just use all Maris or Golden Promis...
M

I would imagine most NEIPAs have a lot simpler grist than this. Can you give a bit more information on why you have chosen the malts you have? And why the lactose?

It will beer, but could be stressful and you might be disappointed with the results. Packaging may be difficult and could easily result in oxidised beer that you’ll probably not enjoy drinking.

Go for it if you want, but you could consider a hazy pale with a lighter hop load and simpler grain bill to reduce the number of variables you’re managing.

FYI: Honey malt is a brumalz, Canadian, from Gambrinus. Half a kilo of that and half a kilo of lactose will give you a decidedly sweet-tasting beer. What the carapils, often used in pale beers, would bring in that grist escapes me

The two-row probably refers to American two-row. Why combine an assertive ale malt, MO, with a lightly kilned one? My preference in NEIPAs is to use Golden Promise, oats and a small addition of light caramel, end of story

As far as I can work out, carapils is a mouthfeel contributor and that’s about it. When I first encountered it, people were talking about head retention but I believe that’s been shown to be incorrect.
Honey malt I think I equate with melanoidin malt. As the name suggests, it’s inclined to sweetness.
Caramalt is not a base malt. I like to use Caramalt to bring some residual sweetness to help balance a hoppy beer.

NEIPA per se I have no helpful advice. I don’t mind it but have no real desire to brew it. Seems like an expensive exercise in gear and ingredients and then it needs to be consumed fairly quickly. I’ve read enough about it to convince me I’m probably better off buying a pint, in my circumstances.
I am officially an old fart though. Maybe I’ll make a batch when I get my small-batch rig sorted. I enjoy brewing different styles and often but I just can’t drink the volume.

I get that some people mess around with water and think of brewing as a science project. I don't, I reduce as many variables as possible. It just adds more work and potential to introduce something bacterial.

I'll bet no one could tell the diff between a tap water and distilled water with additives in a home brew situation. A pro brewery maybe, where consistency between batches is critical.

Best advice I have is if you're new to brewing, keep it simple. Brew a Pale Ale. Hard to stuff that up. Get to know the processes before taking on the finicky styles.

If I were making this recipe in Australia (and I don't do NEIPAs either) I'd be using all Gladfield American Ale malt ie 3.5 Kg, and I'd use Gladfield Redback for the honey malt. I see beerco.com.au does the Redback, but not the American Pale Ale. I think the standard pale ale might be a bit dark and I think I'd go for their Malteurope Pilsen. You guys know the suppliers better than I do, but I've always had great service from Beerco. At the end of the day, it's about matching the colour in this style since the niceties of the base malts are going to be drowned out by the hops.
I wouldn't start with an NEIPA either, but seeing as the OP is set on this, I'd advise him to drink it within a week or so of kegging and force carbonating. At least he doesn't have to wait for it to drop clear!

Latest posts

Back