New fermenter .... what should I be buying?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arismac

Reaction score
I currently have a 23 litre plastic fermenter but want to add a second. My question ... what material should I be using, stainless steel, glass or plastic. I would love to go for glass but unless someone can point me towards one with a bottom tap I will have to give the glass carboy a miss as I am physically disabled and could not lift to empty.

I do however have an "auto syphon" which I have not used yet but may overcome the problem of using the carboy?

All suggestions most welcome.

For me

Stainless would be choice no 1 (its what I use now, just cause its shiny mostly, and less cleaning worries)
Plastic would be choice no 2
Glass and incredibly distant and less practical/safe no 3

Hard to go past plastic for the price though
- A 30L water storage container from bunnings will set you back less than $30 with a tap
https://www.bunnings.com.au/icon-plastics-30l-blue-tint-wide-mouth-water-storage-drum-with-bung_p3240534
- A stainless fermenter of similar size is going to be closer to $200 or more (much more depending on brand etc)
http://www.theolivecentre.com/Olive-Equipment/OLIVE-OIL-STORAGE-SETTLING/30L-Olive-oil-storage-tank.html

pretty sizeable $ difference if you just want something thats going to work and do a perfectly good job

Many thanks. As I am busily spending the kids inheritance so they can't find out what I was ging to eave them :lol: , I shall go for SS.

Stainless is probably the go for a lot of reasons. But if you were to go plastic drum-style, the best thought out fermentor on the market IMO is the one from Coopers. Designed as a beer fermentor and not a re-purposed drum. Well moulded with a very nice break-apart tap for easy cleaning.

coopers fermenter.png

coopers snap tap.png

Whatever you go with, there is also the opportunity of getting a conical, in either stainless or plastic. If money is not an issue a stainless conical would be the thing.

The conical in SS is a new concept for me. May I have a link, please?

Ah, Grasshopper...

conical.jpg

The search function is your friend here.

Decision made. I will go for the Ss Brewtech Chronical 26 Fermenter. Off to speak with Ralph at Brewers Delight first thing tomorrow. Thank you for assistance.

With the olive oil drum is the capable to be fitted with a standard bottle filler, how do people generally fill bottles with them? Can you attach hose?

It looks like a great bit if gear. I am tempted.

M8 Corny Keg fermenter with a spundling pressure valve the only way to go for the money. I made the change from plastic last year and haven't looked back. Go for it.

Markbeer said:
It looks like a great bit if gear. I am tempted.
Took delivery from a Perth distributor yesterday ... it is a great piece of gear. Off to Bunnings to get the trisodium phosphate to get rid of the manufacturing oils later today.

Good luck with your retirement hobby. Or am I reading this wrong?
I can't think of anything better than brewing into retirement, as long as it's not a forced retirement.
Get setup with the easiest kit you can and adjust from there. Ideally you want to be independent, but sometimes a brew day mate can fill in any gaps which might be too physically challenging for you, plus it's nice to have someone to drink and bullshit with!
All the best to you, I'm envious.

No you are indeed correct and thank you for your best wishes. I can no longer drive except for emergencies and my battery operated wheelchair and they do not get caught by a booze bus very often. So I am very much looking forward to acting as my own maker, taster and consumer. :beerbang:

Mate, if you're wheelchair-bound, make sure you get some casters for that SS Chronical. It'll make moving stuff around a shitload easier.

The SS stuff has dedicated casters that are made to fit, but if you can find something in Bunnings, go for it.

grainfather some new on coming out and it has heating and can cool with a gycol chiiler..aint cheap

Back