New Diy Coopers Kit

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think these are be a great idea.. I dont think there is anyone who has been brewing for a while that hasnt dropped (or had someone drop) their hydrometer...

I would certainly buy one next time mine gets dropped...

My hydrometer is made out of kriptonite so I've had the same one since 1998 when I got my starter kit. I feel a bit ill when I use it but I survive.

I'm in Canada, and everybody up here is using either glass carboys or cheap plastic pails, what are they using to brew beer where you are then if not glass.

Many Aussie homebrewers use this kind of arrangement

lillypilly3b.jpg

Some use glass, better bottles etc. I have a few glass demijohns but use them for beers that need long term storage - funked beers and aged beers etc.

OK so that looks exactly like my original coopers fermenter.
But everybody in North America are using this

7601.jpg
or this
7603.jpg

they seem to be making do with crappy alternatives that are not well thought out for brewing beer.
And they all seem to be so terrified of the yeast going bad autolysis and if they don't transfer then it will spoil the batch in a week or two?!
That's why I'm here.... you guys seem to leave the beer alone for a few weeks, let it finish, let it settle, then right to the bottles, no constant racking, no glass carboys and siphon tubes, no cheap plastic buckets like restaurants get pickles delivered in.
So far it's been good advice and interesting reading.

Many Aussie homebrewers use this kind of arrangement

lillypilly3b.jpg

Some use glass, better bottles etc. I have a few glass demijohns but use them for beers that need long term storage - funked beers and aged beers etc.

I dont see what the big deal is about 'cheap plastic buckets'. As long as you look after it, clean and sanitize, and it seals well, then theres no problem. I would brew in a garbage can if it could fit in the fridge.

Glass carboys for regular use just seem like a bit too much hassle. They are heavier, theres always the chance of breakage, cleaning is going to be a nightmare and siphoning might be romantically oldschool, but a plastic spigot and a tube is so much easier.

It's the brewer, not the vessel, that makes a good beer.

Reviving this due to some new info. Spotted the new boxes in Big W on the weekend.

Photo_Dec_07__5_16_11_PM.jpg

Closer inspection (without opening the box unfortunately) seems to suggest that the bucket is a two-piece where the top bit just sits in the bottom bit, perhaps for easier cleaning? There's a loose-fitting lid which may or may not remove the need for an airlock (there doesn't appear to be one supplied) and a strange overly-complicated tap that looks like infection heaven.

Photo_Dec_07__5_16_23_PM.jpg

It is nice to see a 'brewers log' (though it would be better if it included the missing apostrophe) and hopefully this design is a step-up. I'll reserve opinion until someone gets one open and has a proper look.

From the pictures it looks like the insert increases the height of the fermenter by maybe a couple of inches. I'm trying to figure out what advantage could be gained by doing this by an insert rather than just making the fermenter itself taller? Maybe it will become evident once someone opens one. I looked on the weekend but my Big W still had all old ones.

I hope the new tap is easier to break apart without the leaking issue, could be a good addition.

From the pictures it looks like the insert increases the height of the fermenter by maybe a couple of inches. I'm trying to figure out what advantage could be gained by doing this by an insert rather than just making the fermenter itself taller? Maybe it will become evident once someone opens one. I looked on the weekend but my Big W still had all old ones.

Would the extra height matter? I'm just thinking you'd save a couple of inches anyway without the airlock.

anyone able to direct me to a BiG W in Sydney that has the DIY version in stock, all the ones I find only have the old one?

Cheers

Reviving this due to some new info. Spotted the new boxes in Big W on the weekend.

Closer inspection (without opening the box unfortunately) seems to suggest that the bucket is a two-piece where the top bit just sits in the bottom bit, perhaps for easier cleaning? There's a loose-fitting lid which may or may not remove the need for an airlock (there doesn't appear to be one supplied) and a strange overly-complicated tap that looks like infection heaven.

It is nice to see a 'brewers log' (though it would be better if it included the missing apostrophe) and hopefully this design is a step-up. I'll reserve opinion until someone gets one open and has a proper look.

I'm on hols in sunny Port Macquarie and the local Big W has the new DIY kits on sale for around $74 (about $10 off). Not sure if it's the same price country wide, but worth a look if you're interested in getting one.

anyone able to direct me to a BiG W in Sydney that has the DIY version in stock, all the ones I find only have the old one?

Cheers

Hi Mate,

first post and first time brewing. I got one of these for xmas... but the mrs wont let me open it yet. so i cant really comment. probably wouldnt know what to comment on either as i still dont know much about brewing... this site is a great help though..

anyway, big W tuggerah have them at the moment for $74.... i think Erina has them also for the same price... means a drive up the f3 though..

Cheers!

Some discussion and photos accross on the coopers forum. here

The extension thing at the top of the new fermenter is a krausen collar - provides extra headspace during initial vigorous fermentation and also a double wall which extends down to the brew. When fermentation slows it can be removed, while the krausen ring is still moist it is easier to clean. Not everyone seems to be able to fit it in the fridge with the collar on.

Seems to be a bit clearer plastic so you can see in better.

Appartently the new tap hole doesn't have a thread.

I read the thread from the Coopers forum. They list the dimensions of new fermenter:

FV with Krausen Kollar and Lid: 55cm tall
FV with Lid only: 48cm tall
Lid is 36.5cm across and 40cm at the tabs
Footprint is 25cm x 25cm

I want to hear more about how well the tap goes on without a thread and about the bottom of the interior, which is apparently more 'conical' shaped!

I've got the Coopers DIY kit. Being a new home brewer I don't have experience with other fermenter designs, but this one does the job just fine. I've only made one batch so far but the toucan stout I'm putting down this week should put the Krusen Kollar to the test! ^_^ It's also very easy to clean with the wide open top and smooth curves, no tight corners. The clear plastic is also a bonus for me, I like being able to see the fermentation activity :lol:

Latest posts

Back