New Diy Coopers Kit

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The old coopers vhs is gold "alcohol is important as it helps make the beer taste like it should and it helps you relax" (not verbatim but very close). Mmmmm alchohol helps your significant other to be less inhibited when it really matters...Before I crack out my old-school Coopers bucket I ensure the beard is shaved down to a handle bar mo, the stubbies shorts are on and the thongs are close at hand. "Don't worry about the cloudiness, thats just the yeast"...I really must advise having a few beers and watching the old coopers video, it is classic Aussie know-how.

I got a VHS tape with mine but never had a machine to play it on. Still use the tape as a wedge below the fermenter to get the last 2 litres out of the tap.

Until the last few posts, I didnt even know there was a video instruction on those coopers sets. Nice to see the tape housing has provided some worth.

Was Paul Mecurio in the Coopers video's ? And did he dance ? :p

Sorry Merc, if youre reading - but Im going to post this because youre the only bonafide star that I have picked out of the bunch. Tho I think Bum might be Chopper Reid B)

paul-mercurio.jpg

I got the kit maybe around 2005?? came with the VHS tape then, and yeah i agree and have always said the chick in it never even looked like she liked beer!
So Paul Mecurio is a member here? what is his user name? when was he last active?

Tho I think Bum might be Chopper Reid
Nah, I can spell.

Not sure what the dig at Mercs is about - did your missus have a thing for him after Strictly Ballroom and you hold a grudge?

Nah, I can spell.

Not sure what the dig at Mercs is about - did your missus have a thing for him after Strictly Ballroom and you hold a grudge?

I don't know about him, but when I contacted him and asked him if he would like to celebrate the premiere of Mecurio's Menu by co-signing a mortgage with me, I heard nothing!

So Paul Mecurio is a member here? what is his user name? when was he last active?
A quick search shows that Mercs posted last Monday.
So he does still pop in every now and then.

I wonder if he still makes that peach ale?

Mercs mostly active on the threads involving food. Has a food/beer book coming out next fathers day.

Those new Coopers fermenters look like a bucket in a bucket

I can't see why they'd be any different to glass ones accuracy wise

So are plastic hydrometers any good? (as far as accuracy is concerned)
I think these are be a great idea.. I dont think there is anyone who has been brewing for a while that hasnt dropped (or had someone drop) their hydrometer...

I would certainly buy one next time mine gets dropped...

I for one think they may have put a lot of thought into this.
I see the people in this hobby making due with wine making equipment that is poorly suited to beer making.
The glass carboys are difficult to clean, difficult to do things like add a bag of hops for dry hopping, and quite often just too small and krausen foam overflows out the airlock
The plastic buckets are cheap but have huge drawbacks too. That sharp right angled edge at the bottom is just asking to hold bacteria to ruin a batch, and the opaque plastic means, who knows what's going on, without opening up the fermenter. And the soft plastic just scratches too easily.
The original Coopers fermenter had a large opening, so dry hopping and cleaning was easy, the plastic was still a little soft but better than the buckets. The partially see through sides and clear lid were good for seeing what's going on inside. And all the corners were curved to prevent bacteria from catching in the corners.
Now there new fermenter, maybe the bottling spigot will be a better design, course threads would be easier to attach and clean, I see more clear plastic for better visibility. They've said a plastic hygrometer rather than breakable glass, and brew enhancer2 instead of suger will definatly make a better first batch than the suger.

At the risk of being called a cynic I guarantee the motivation for the new fermenter is production cost. If they cared enough to invest in a new design to improve the beer they'd stop telling people to ferment at 28C.

Not saying for a second the new fermenter won't get the job done.

At the risk of being called a cynic I guarantee the motivation for the new fermenter is production cost. If they cared enough to invest in a new design to improve the beer they'd stop telling people to ferment at 28C.

Not saying for a second the new fermenter won't get the job done.

:eek: really, you? a cynic?

So what are peoples thoughts on what the bucket will actually be?

Perhaps a way to remove the trub before bottling?

I see the people in this hobby making due with wine making equipment that is poorly suited to beer making.
The glass carboys are difficult to clean, difficult to do things like add a bag of hops for dry hopping, and quite often just too small and krausen foam overflows out the airlock
The plastic buckets are cheap but have huge drawbacks too. That sharp right angled edge at the bottom is just asking to hold bacteria to ruin a batch, and the opaque plastic means, who knows what's going on, without opening up the fermenter. And the soft plastic just scratches too easily.
The original Coopers fermenter had a large opening, so dry hopping and cleaning was easy, the plastic was still a little soft but better than the buckets. The partially see through sides and clear lid were good for seeing what's going on inside. And all the corners were curved to prevent bacteria from catching in the corners.
Now there new fermenter, maybe the bottling spigot will be a better design, course threads would be easier to attach and clean, I see more clear plastic for better visibility. They've said a plastic hygrometer rather than breakable glass, and brew enhancer2 instead of suger will definatly make a better first batch than the suger.
I'll ask for forgiveness for my cynicism too, but a first post 20 minutes after joining the forum, to discuss this matter with such high praise? :ph34r: Suspicious is all.

I would think it's a minority of brewers using wine-making equipment in lieu of brewing equipment. Glass carboys are still a bit rare.

On the matter of the new fermenter, I would love to think that the bucket is built in two pieces with a gap for inserting cold water or ice to bring the ferment temperature down to something that will actually make good flavours in the beer.

On an entirely different matter, completely unrelated, absolutely tangential, I think that if the marketing folks at Coopers are interested in our opinions, they should sign up as 'CoopersMarketing' and, I dunno - ask us.

I'm actually a bit confused by your post. You suggest that coopers have put a lot of thought into this new fermenter then go onto detail how the old fermenter was superior and how the new one has so many disadvantages. :huh:

QB, searching for his username on Google (eventually) points you to the Coopers board. Asked a handful of elementary/intermediate k&b questions - that's about it. I'd be surprised if he ended up being a Coopers spook. Just a bit of a fanboy, I'd say. Nothing wrong with that, SunyJim - they largely make respectable products and I hope this continues with the new kit. Welcome aboard, btw.

Back