New Diy Coopers Kit

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi guys,

What capacity are these fermenters, 25L or 30L? I searched online and looked at a sealed DIY kit and didn't note the size. I'm looking for a pail type fermenter, 30L, preferably with spigot. So far I've only seen the 25L ones.

It has volume markings to 27 litres, and the markings finish about 10cm below the rim of the fermenter (without the Krusen Kollar in place). Sorry, don't know the exact volume...

ordered one last night seeings there was 20% off with online ordered on Coopers site

Are they selling the hydrometer's separately as well? I need a plastic one. I've broken 2 in the last few years, and my current one is a bit of a dud.

It has volume markings to 27 litres, and the markings finish about 10cm below the rim of the fermenter (without the Krusen Kollar in place). Sorry, don't know the exact volume...

Thanks for your reply, sounds close enough to 30l to me. I need the extra room for 3086 and the occasional Belgian that blows it's bags

Are they selling the hydrometer's separately as well? I need a plastic one. I've broken 2 in the last few years, and my current one is a bit of a dud.

not yet when I looked, this is the same for the Fermenter still :(

Thanks for your reply, sounds close enough to 30l to me. I need the extra room for 3086 and the occasional Belgian that blows it's bags

No worries with foam. The Krusen Kollar is designed (and from my experience) to handle very high amounts of krusen. When the Kollar is in place it gives quite alot of headroom! :D

I am wondering,

If you are making beer from kits, why do you need a hydrometer? Is it so the brewer feels that they have some influence over the final product?

GF

I am wondering,

If you are making beer from kits, why do you need a hydrometer? Is it so the brewer feels that they have some influence over the final product?

GF

So they learn about fermentation and understand when a brew is properly finished so they don't bottle early and put glass through the eye of their four year old child.

Was that a serious question?

I am wondering,

GF

And so they can get an accurate alc vol reading.....

So they learn about fermentation and understand when a brew is properly finished so they don't bottle early and put glass through the eye of their four year old child.

Was that a serious question?

Yeah it was serious.

I was under the impression (falsely perhaps) that the only accurate hydrometer samples were those taken prior to fermentation (OG) and when the ferment has completely ceased (ie no bubbles) (FG)

If you bottle because "the hydrometer said so" doesn't mean that your not going to "pop" an eye out. Besides, doesn't the kit come with plastic bottles?

GF

And so they can get an accurate alc vol reading.....

And a plastic hydrometer is going to be how accurate?
Most first time homebrewers I know forget to adequately mix the "kit and water" and hence achieve falsely high OG readings and therefore substantially skew their ABV.

Plastic hyrometer has its uses (virtually indestructible) but a refractometer is probably a better investment in the long run.

GF

The reason you use a hydrometer is, as you suggest, to take the original gravity and the final gravity. Bubbles are irrelevant and should not be relied upon to tell when fermentation is complete.

This is true for any type of brewing - why you singled out kits is a mystery.

A KK brew that uses dextrose will have a different OG and FG to one that uses all malt or a proprietary brewing sugar.

Any yeast can stall or even not begin in the first place. How do you tell if a brew has started fermenting? Krausen, condensation and above all - dropping gravity are the best signs.

Many people buy a fermenter, get a can from the supermarket and brew away so the kits coming with plastic bottles doesn't save people from exploding glass if they don't know what they are doing and if they are using glass. I inherited my dad's old gear and started with glass bttles (still use them). I'm not alone.

Finally - regardless of what vessel you use for your finished beer - plastic bottles, glass bottles or kegs, why wouldn't you want your beer to have finished fermentation before you have put it in there? There are all sorts of reasons besides kaboom that mean allowing ferment to finish is a good idea. Kaboom is a particularly good one though - especially for new brewers.

A hydrometer costs around 15 dollars and can save anything from headaches to eye injuries if you learn to use it properly.

You don't bottle because the hydrometer says so. You bottle because the hydrometer gives you consistent readings within a range that you would reasonably expect represents finished beer. It's an instrument that gives you a measurement. How you interpret that measurement is up to you but without it, there is no interpretation. Just because you misused a hydrometer in your early brewing days, doesn't make the hydrometer a useless instrument.

Good on Coopers for pushing forward in development of simpler and user-friendly introductions to making beer

GF

=(

A split? I'll take the bottles and the hydrometer and you take the fermenter?

lol

unfortunately not this time as I also wanted the hydrometer and the bottles

they still have there 20% off sale though on the online store

Tanga

The only plastic hydrometers I can find are in the order of about $60-70. Given that if you want to measure hot wort they will need to be fairly robust or risk melting.

You may have better luck with the Google.

http://johnmorris.coleparmer.com/catalog/p...ex.asp?cls=2413

Rowe Scientific also do lab stuff and wine making gear, they might have what you want.
http://www.rowe.com.au/cats/catE4web-HL.pdf

Tavas

Good on Coopers for pushing forward in development of simpler and user-friendly introductions to making beer

GF

Agree, that's how I got started. Something I'd always vaguely wanted to have a go at but thought it was too hard based on the few setups I'd seen with dedicated fridges, kegs, gas, taps etc. I saw one of those Coopers kits and thought "That's all there is to it?"

That was about 2 months ago, and I now have a dedicated fridge, but anyway...

here are a few picks I took last night

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

Back