New Boutique Brewery For Cairns Fnq

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mwd

Awful Ale Apprentice
Reaction score
Just opened in Cairns after nothing like fresh beer in the last 15 years. I haven't ventured down to check it out yet but looks promising. There is a bar too to taste
the products.

blueskybrewery

looks like we now have a meeting place in the north ... haha
saw this in last weeks paper ... about time ...

will be waiting on your reviews kans guys ..

cheers

I'm heading up that way around XMAS time......

Will definately drop in for a beer/tour.

PB :icon_chickcheers:

good to hear its up and running. I heard about that last year on the day we left Cairns on a permanent move south :(

Yes I have tried a few brews on the odd few trips to town I make.

The ales are served way too cold for my liking so you need to wait a while until they warm up a bit.

I really enjoyed the Pilsner ( Czech style ). Pleasantly bitter.
Blonde with Nelson Sauvin hops was a little bit bland but with a nice hop flavour.
Woody brown ale was sadly a bit lacking in the flavour dept. but still quite quaffable.

Have not got to the stout or lager yet maybe next time.

Definately worth a visit as all the brews seem to be in a different world to the megabrew stuff available everywhere else in the area.

Not sure how they will vary from batch to batch which should make each visit interesting.

They have this strange grid cooling system that runs the whole length of the bar top like a freezer element from a fridge on which you can stand your glass to keep the contents cold. Never seen anything like that before.

They have this strange grid cooling system that runs the whole length of the bar top like a freezer element from a fridge on which you can stand your glass to keep the contents cold. Never seen anything like that before.

An ice bar! Cool. experienced one of those while in the states at the Williams Streey Pub in Renton, Washington state. A nice gimmick, and was fun writing in the ice with a coin, and I guess in theory it will keep a glass cold, which would have more of a function in a tropical place like Cairns.

Forgot to add I tried the Wheat Beer but not drinking much wheat before noted it tasted very fresh but not very hoppy.

I gather wheats are supposed to be consumed fresh so it met the style and I could easily knock back a few pints of the brew again anytime.

Must make another trip to town again soon.

P.S. the last time I was there the prices were $6.40 per pint.

going back up home soon for my 30th,lookin forward to trying all they have to offer.
have spoken to a few friends and the general feeling is that most beers arent too bad,but those commenting do enjoy craploads of xxxx heavy!

cheers,dan

Nice, thanks for the reviews. I'm going up there in a week for a few days for work. Will definitely drop past for a pint or several...

Nice, thanks for the reviews. I'm going up there in a week for a few days for work. Will definitely drop past for a pint or several...
Went to Bluesky brewery a couple of days before XMAS....

Was very envious of the brewery, the beer dispensing system, the bar etc etc....Great setup. They did their home work!

Did the tour and had the 6 beer tasting platter and also a little taste of the others....

Gotta say - there were no outstanding faults with any of the beers, but they were very average.

...bugger cos I was drinking Goldies for a couple of days b4 the visit and was so looking forward too something with hop or big malt flavour.

Anyway the Stout wasn't actually a stout, it was barely a dark ale, APA or IPA was nowhere to be seen... :angry:

Midstength, lager, pils, wheat, low carb, woodys ale served from a wooden barrel, stout, english ale (Light beer).

Having given them a hard time for the beer, I'm still glad they are there and I still think they'll do well due to location, heat in Cairns, and still more interesting beer than the usual XXXX Gold.

PB :D

Just saw in the local newspaper that BlueSky won 4 silver and 5 bronze at the AIBA in Melbourne.

The Pilsner is my favourite beer they make. Still not tried the stout.

Wish they would try a few more adventurous brews though. We need something a bit different.

SB, I second that warning about going out after dark, if you do then always go by cab and don't walk along any dark streets by yourself. (SWMBO and her daughter who lives up there are mainly indigenous themselves so it's not a racist comment ... just from experience of visiting the place)

Anyway I'm sure you will have a great trip and don't forget to eat plenty of Spanish Mackerel if it's in season :icon_drool2:

SB, I second that warning about going out after dark, if you do then always go by cab and don't walk along any dark streets by yourself. (SWMBO and her daughter who lives up there are mainly indigenous themselves so it's not a racist comment ... just from experience of visiting the place)

Huh?

You make it sound worse than it actually is. Bluesky is in town and apart from the odd pissed person (like anywhere in Australia), Cairns it is not a dangerous place at all.

Just based on our experience staying at the Fig Tree Lodge on Sheridan street last year. There's a small shopping centre in the area with heaps of chinese, Pizza etc places and an English pub round the corner so we ate there mostly, and we made sure we were well indoors after dark due to the ferals roaming the place. Just walking down the street for a pizza was running the gauntlet with chroming kids, aborigines having fist fights in laneways, hoons throwing things from cars etc. No doubt the town centre is better policed, but only went there during the daytime when it was quite calm and respectable. Port Douglas no probs, will stay there next time, probably just picked a bad suburb. Heck Bribie had problems before we got the 24hr police station.

Huh?

You make it sound worse than it actually is. Bluesky is in town and apart from the odd pissed person (like anywhere in Australia), Cairns it is not a dangerous place at all.

But Duff is in Port Douglas probably does not read the Cairns Post/Local Radio or has talked to the nurses in Casualty dept. of Cairns Base Hospital.
Cairns has been classed as the 'Assault Capital' of Queensland does wonders for International tourism :(

BUT Bluesky is in the town centre with good lighting so is perfectly safe unless you like wandering around in a drunken haze at 03.00 AM.

+1 follow Bribies advise.
Groups of thugs first ask for a cigarette before beating the hapless victim senseless then robbing them.

At least you know unlike the Asian and Japanese females who are lambs for the slaughter.

A total world of change here in the last few years from what it used to be. :angry:

But Duff is in Port Douglas probably does not read the Cairns Post/Local Radio or has talked to the nurses in Casualty dept. of Cairns Base Hospital.
Cairns has been classed as the 'Assault Capital' of Queensland does wonders for International tourism :(

BUT Bluesky is in the town centre with good lighting so is perfectly safe unless you like wandering around in a drunken haze at 03.00 AM.

+1 follow Bribies advise.
Groups of thugs first ask for a cigarette before beating the hapless victim senseless then robbing them.

At least you know unlike the Asian and Japanese females who are lambs for the slaughter.

A total world of change here in the last few years from what it used to be. :angry:

But Duff has grown up in Cairns, attended school in Cairns, played sport in and for Cairns, and has been in the Cairns Post for a few things over the years. Silly me, thinking that living Port Douglas would make me immune to the local community by living under a rock, with my eyes closed and fingers in my ears.

Fairly simple really, like any town in the country, you go looking for trouble you will find it.

Fairly simple really, like any town in the country, you go looking for trouble you will find it.

Dead right there Duff and I also can remember back when you only saw half a dozen cars an hour midweek on the Captain Cook Highway going North of Palm Cove. :p Times have changed.

Nar mind the doomsayers there SB just post your revue of the beers if you get time to test them all during your visit. Not been down there since November last year nice and quiet and uncrowded during the daytime.

Latest posts

Back