New Boutique Brewery For Cairns Fnq

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But Duff has grown up in Cairns, attended school in Cairns, played sport in and for Cairns, and has been in the Cairns Post for a few things over the years. Silly me, thinking that living Port Douglas would make me immune to the local community by living under a rock, with my eyes closed and fingers in my ears.

Fairly simple really, like any town in the country, you go looking for trouble you will find it.
Shite I worked in TI for four years, a visit to Cairns was a walk in the park. :lol: use to go there cause it was safe.
GB

I found Cairns 2 weeks ago a lot safer at night than 15-20years ago. Got rolled twice last time! Found myself unconscious on the promenard after walking home. The other time I just lost my wallet. Anyone remember the End of the World night club? Jeff Fenech was guest DJ hahaha.

But it's much safer than PNG! It's probably more like TI.

But Cairns recently was absolutely gorgeous. Everyone we had to deal with was happy, friendly and helpful. There was no undercurrent of 'here's another bloody tourist', like there is sometimes on the Sunshine Coast. In fact, I started to feel a little embarrassed about the way we treat our tourists here!

But the beer is more important!

Went to the BS Brewery for the tour, but they had no brewer to do the tour - why? NFI. Oh well, me and another punter stayed anyway and tested all the beers....so the best part about it for me was the chilled coaster that runs the length of the bar. Well needed.

There beers were OK, better that I had been drinking for a day or so from the bottle shop! A very safe offering for the palette, bit nothing that stood out for me - mind you, nothing does after drinking from Jye's randall in 2006...! :lol:

Cheers,

InCider.

I lived in Cairns for a while in the late 90's. I got told to not walk anywhere at night...especially coming home from the pub. Maybe I was lucky but never had any problems whatsoever. I did get asked for smokes a few times on the promenade, instead of giving them one i'd give them 5 or so and I was their best mate. When I was there you'd have more chance of getting trouble from the pissed tourists than the locals. I loved it.
Cheers
Steve

I found Cairns 2 weeks ago a lot safer at night than 15-20years ago. Got rolled twice last time! Found myself unconscious on the promenard after walking home. The other time I just lost my wallet. Anyone remember the End of the World night club? Jeff Fenech was guest DJ hahaha.

But it's much safer than PNG! It's probably more like TI.

People worry and stress too much about all this NQ stuff, they should visit the peaceful tropical paradises further up the cape, like Pormpuraaw, Seisia and Bamaga. Heck the pub in Bamaga has never even had a window broken. ;)

Apolgies to the OT police.

I lived in Cairns for a while in the late 90's. I got told to not walk anywhere at night...especially coming home from the pub. Maybe I was lucky but never had any problems whatsoever. I did get asked for smokes a few times on the promenade, instead of giving them one i'd give them 5 or so and I was their best mate. When I was there you'd have more chance of getting trouble from the pissed tourists than the locals. I loved it.
Cheers
Steve

Yeah - I agree! I found myself looking at property when I was up there too. I'd rather be up there where it's almost on Melanesian time. Everyone is happy and relaxed - it's great. There's not a lot of work for me up there, but I was looking! Definatelty a goal of mine would be to spend a long time up there. Or NT.

The best bit I found was that bus drivers stop anywhere to pick up a fare, and it's no trouble!

Back to the brewery - as I didn't get to do the tour, the fit girl behind the bar said that when I needed to answer the call of nature I'd still be able to have a good look at the brewery - from the urinal! :lol: I thought she was taking the piss! :lol:

InCider.

Back to the brewery - as I didn't get to do the tour, the fit girl behind the bar said that when I needed to answer the call of nature I'd still be able to have a good look at the brewery - from the urinal! :lol: I thought she was taking the piss! :lol:

InCider.
InCider - I did do the tour.
It was run by one of the girls from the tour desk at the front.

As I said - the brewery, the bar and the dispensing system (and cold bar thingo) for the beer was awesome...

The beer was OK and the tour was fine when the guide stayed in the pages of her script...

That wasn't one way glass either..The mind boggles.... :huh:

PB

People worry and stress too much about all this NQ stuff, they should visit the peaceful tropical paradises further up the cape, like Pormpuraaw, Seisia and Bamaga. Heck the pub in Bamaga has never even had a window broken. ;)

Apolgies to the OT police.

Aahh, Seisia, what a beautiful place.

Did the tour on Wednesday. Allen (the assistant brewer) took time out in the middle of a brew show me around. Stopwatch around the neck and all (interrupted the spiel to put the aroma hops in). Then Hayden (chief brewer) took over and showed me the remainder. Probably spent about 25-30 minutes with them. Once done with the brew Hayden took over the bar, and we (myself, Hayden and an english backpacker) discussed and tasted the beers for over an hour. He even took the backpacker for a free tour at the end.

Really enjoyed the beers. Just the right amount of hops for my liking. The best for me was the Draught (reddy colour with a good dose of hallatuer) and the light ale (amber ale with amarillo). You wouldn't have picked it was 2.5%.

Incider, all the barmaids were fit! :p Very good hiring practices me thinks!

Been to Cairns 3 times now and never had any issues out after dark.

Anyway, I highly recommend a visit to Blue Sky.

Cheers Kenlock

great beers. I love the Pilsener and seeing as i had that i had the bratwurst to make sure i was in style. Trued all the others as well, got some take-away and a cooler. Enjoyable evening.

No comments from Swinging Beef, either all the beer was total crap or he missed the party.

+1 with Biergeliebter I enjoyed the Pilsner most. The Blonde with NS hop was a bit thin but a good hop flavour made up for it.

Weird, I thought i jumped on as soon as I got back to blow sunshine up the butts of the brewers at the Blue Sky.
I dont know where the post went.
We go to the Blue Sky a couple of times while up in Cairns.
I was really quite impressed with the venue.
THe look of the place is modern, but not a scary formica beer barn.
The windows to peek in at the brewery were nice, and while I couldnt be arsed with waiting around for tour time, the asistant brewer was kind enough to spend some time talking to me about his beers and what was going on with them.
We had a jug of each of the beers there and a couple of spares of the favorites, which were the Pilsner, Weisen and the outstanding LoCarb beer.
All the beers there were good, but the Weisen stood out as the most intersting of the bunch to me, with all the weisen buttons being pressed, even if maybe it was a little dark, but it certainly didnt effect the flavour any.
The LoCarb was the most impressive because LoCarb beers are usually rubbish. Now I dont know if it is because the temperature outside is around 30 degrees and it is nearly always 99% humidity, or what it was, but this beer was a ripper. Crisp, dry, clean and with a massive hop aroma.
I was a little underwhelmed by the cask on the counter, and while I thought it was a good idea, and a nifty selling point, the beer that came out of it was a little on the medium side of exceptional.
I would have liked to see a stout on the menu, or some belgian specialities, but this is Cairns and nearly everywhere still only sells xxxx in cans, so I reckon its a brave man that tries to get his clients into a Bier de Gaurd or a Saison.

We had a good time, my grotty teenage kids won some prizes at trivia, and apart from them stuffing up a bowl of french fries, thought the place was great.

Well as luck would have it I am in Cairns for work so I took the opportunity to try the beers yesterday.
The Czech Pils and FNQ lager were both very good I thought.
The Blonde is okay but I can't detect the Nelson Sauvin hops they use.
Woody ale had an edge to it that didn't seem right and as someone said before it is served too cold. They no longer serve it from the wooden barrel.
The True Blue stout was more like a strong porter for mine, minimal roast lots of chocolate but I really enjoyed it anyway.

The set-up is pretty open, I like what they have done with it. Was suprised to see it was built on the site of one of my favourite Cairns venues, Club International ;) .

C&B
TDA

Blu Sky having an Octoberfest on 17th October at the brewery.

They are hoping to get a partial road closure approved so they can have foodstalls and stuff out on the street.

( heard it this morning on local radio ).

Some of their beers are now available in the newly designed domestic terminal at Cairns Airport.

( I thought Octoberfest was in September in Munich so may as well have two a year instead :) ).

Snowdog I dropped in yesterday just to check that the bar was still cold , and its all good news , frosty as ...

The beers were good too ;)

Cheers

just been there. had a good chat with hayden ( head brewer). didnt mind there beers thought the woody was great but needed some oak in it.

Had a bottle of the pilsner the other night. Terrible label ! ......well made and tasty beer!!!

Blu Sky having an Octoberfest on 17th October at the brewery.

They are hoping to get a partial road closure approved so they can have foodstalls and stuff out on the street.

( heard it this morning on local radio ).

Some of their beers are now available in the newly designed domestic terminal at Cairns Airport.

( I thought Octoberfest was in September in Munich so may as well have two a year instead :) ).

Yesterdays Cairns Post reports that rod closure has been approved, just waiting for license/approval to sell beer in the street.

Was passing by so had to drop in to see what was happening the pilsner was as good as ever and they had a smoked lager and a smoked wheat bear on tap not sure whether these are regulars or just one offs. Very smokey flavour but not my cup of tea. Good value for money though as you can still taste it 4 hours later. :p

They had a nice IPA on last month served way too cold though but the barkeeps were a bit busy so didn't get chance to ask any questions.

Some good beers coming up including a pale ale and chocolate porter.

Latest posts

Back