New Boutique Brewery For Cairns Fnq

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some good beers coming up including a pale ale and chocolate porter.

Looking forward to trying them both. Jury is still out on whether I really like the stout or not it seems a little bit 'thin'. :beer:
Prefer the heavier Irish style stouts. More tasting required..

A hoppy Pale Ale supposed to be on tap from tomorrow June 16th.

They are making a Cherry Chocolate porter ready soon I was told today..

Looks like another trip down to town on the bus coming up.

MMmm... Hoppy Pale sounds good.

Do they still have the ice-bar?

Brisbaneites can taste a few beers from Blue Sky at the upcoming International Brewers Day festivals...
I believe the Smoked wheat is coming, and the pilsner too, maybe more...

MMmm... Hoppy Pale sounds good.

Do they still have the ice-bar?

I presume you are meaning the cooling system around the bar. They are supposed to have opened Blu Esky Bar a proper ice bar like they have in other countries with ice sculptures and ice furniture etc. In Cairns What the.?????.
Don't know if they opened it or not never actually went looking for it but it is on the website.

The bar cooler is still there pity they serve all the ales at super cold lager temperatures.

I got a schooner of the stout and left it 1/2hour to warm up and it tasted soooo much better you could actually taste something. Not bad at all but unlike any of the mainstream stouts I think somebody described more like a Porter (6.6Abv).
not good for drivers. :eek: .

I asked about the Pale if it was like Little Critters but they just said come down and try it... Good marketing wonder if they intend to bottle any of it ?

Quick update dropped in to try the Pale Ale could not get much info but it does use Simcoe hops.
Quite nice with a very fruity flavour and quite cloudy. The Chocolate Cherry porter is still in production no date for release yet.

No brewery tours at the moment the brewing is down for maintenance.

No Pilsner on tap yesterday boo boo my favourite.

Coopers Pale Ale and A Boags beer on tap must be keeping up until the brewery gets going again.

Domestic Airport launch opening Thursday 24th June 2:00pm.

Blue Esky Bar Cairns only 'Ice Bar' is due to open 30th August

The Smoked Hefeweizen won a Gold Medal at AIBA so some 2010 bottles for sale. $19.95 a four pack.

Apparently the Cherry Chocolate Porter did not come out quite to plan so both batches have been blended and bottled.
Not sure but I think it said stout on the label.

Brewery maintenance over Pilsner back on tap.

I think they should give me lots of free beer for all the free advertising done for them :p

Coles First Choice stores are going to be stocking some of the bottled brews. FNQ Lager and the lower alcohol lager Cairns Gold first up to see how they go.

I will be downtown next week so hopefully the Pale Ale is still there I hope they add it to the regular brew list. :chug: Been trying to persuade them to make another batch of IPA which was quite noice.

The Brew wench and I dropped in last week for a couple , unfortunatly there was no stout on for her :( ... I had and enjoyed very much the smoked wheat , very nice drop ...

cheers

There is an IPA on tap now that is a corker it is not super bitter but great hop flavour shining through. Pretty sure it is Simcoe hop used and I was told it is going to become one of the normal regular brews. Damn any excuse for going down town now can't get enough. Great place to go in the daytime usually relatively quiet and time to chat to the staff about brewing.

Brought home a six pack of the Brewers Reserve True Blue Mocha Stout which I believe was the result of the not as expected Cherry Choc Porter. Bit disappointed with this one lacks the bitterness and roasty taste of a good robust stout.

The bottled Pilsner is wonderful and unfiltered so might try a yeast growing test as there is a nice ring of yeast at the bottom of the bottle. :icon_cheers:

:icon_offtopic: managed to harvest the yeast from two Pilsner stubbies to put into my latest Toucan of Coopers Mex and Coles brand Lager.
Don't know what yeast strain they use in the Czech style pilsner but it is one of the best brews they do IMO so the results of my experiment may be interesting. :icon_offtopic:

I was there last weekend & enjoyed the Pale Ale & Pilsner
Even got a mixed 6 pack to bring home

Octoberfest going off on Saturday 2nd October from 11:00 Wheat beer + Ommpah Band etc.

Should be good 9 of the Blue Sky brews on tap.

I'll be heading up to Cairns tomorrow and will be around for a week for XMAS, so I'll be popping in to Blue Sky at some point.

I'm really liking what I'm reading in this thread since I visited in 2008.

Any chance of bumping into any FNQ boys there??

PB

I'll be heading up to Cairns tomorrow and will be around for a week for XMAS, so I'll be popping in to Blue Sky at some point.

I'm really liking what I'm reading in this thread since I visited in 2008.

PB

Travelling by boat are you Dave?

-BD

PB

Whatever floats your boat PB :p

ned.jpg

I should be there this afternoon for a couple around 3pm.

SB, I second that warning about going out after dark, if you do then always go by cab and don't walk along any dark streets by yourself. (SWMBO and her daughter who lives up there are mainly indigenous themselves so it's not a racist comment ... just from experience of visiting the place)

Anyway I'm sure you will have a great trip and don't forget to eat plenty of Spanish Mackerel if it's in season :icon_drool2:

Lol Bribie, I worked in PJ O'Briens nearly 10 years ago, think it might have been the morning after the twin towers came down, walked out of the pub on my luch break, lit up a smoke outside the front door, & a native comes up & tries to take the ciggy straight out of my mouth, needless to say being a broke backpacker, I showed him some fistycuffs & told him to eff off, never had any problems at night though, must have been too pissed to remember.

Good memories of Cairns, I took up fishing there, even landed a wee bronze whaler.
Speaking of fishing, caught this cutie on a tiny scrap of squid on a handline last week (was set for flatties), thank god I had gloves on, cause he pulled back some line a few times.

SNAPPER_1.JPG

I should be there this afternoon for a couple around 3pm.
Dammit. I checked on here minutes before your post Duff, then went out in the rain to brave the shopping centres and visiting.....

I'll get there before I leave on the 29th.

Supposed to be catching up with a few more friends after XMAS day......will make the meeting place BSB :D

PS - I should have packed a canoe....bloody wet up here.

PB

Dammit. I checked on here minutes before your post Duff, then went out in the rain to brave the shopping centres and visiting.....

I'll get there before I leave on the 29th.

Supposed to be catching up with a few more friends after XMAS day......will make the meeting place BSB :D

PS - I should have packed a canoe....bloody wet up here.

PB

Buy a canoe PB - like at Otter's pocket in BNE too :ph34r:

Back