New Boutique Brewery For Cairns Fnq

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm heading in after lunch for a quick six beer paddle....?? around 2ish maybe.
Looking forward to it.
PB B)

I'm heading in after lunch for a quick six beer paddle....?? around 2ish maybe.
Looking forward to it.
PB B)

Can't make it down town so have a pint of IPA for me its good. Don't know if they still have the smoked wheat on anymore maybe worth an ask if you like that kind of beer.

You can also grab a takeaway of Pilsner in bottles that is damn good too.

Can't make it down town so have a pint of IPA for me its good.

Wasn't a fan of the IPA on Friday, not enough body (needs crystal) and the hop choice wasn't right. Was told it was a NZ hop but with Hayden away the staff were unsure what it was. It was familiar but I couldn't pick it. It's more of a pale ale than an IPA. The pilsener is probably the pick of the beers there.

Wasn't a fan of the IPA on Friday, not enough body (needs crystal) and the hop choice wasn't right. Was told it was a NZ hop but with Hayden away the staff were unsure what it was. It was familiar but I couldn't pick it. It's more of a pale ale than an IPA. The pilsener is probably the pick of the beers there.
Thanks Duff,

The Pilsner was the pick 2 years ago too. I'll still probably try the lot - just to be sure. :rolleyes:

At least they've got an IPA now...I'll see if I can shed some light on the hop choice, but I'm not NZ hop expert.

PB

When they first put on the IPA they told me it was Simcoe but could have changed the recipe since then and batches may vary quite a bit.
I like it well enough to place it No1 with the Pilsner a very close 2nd. Agree with Duff it is quite light to be called a full on IPA but it compliments Brewdog Punk IPA quite well minus a good few IBUs.

I was there a couple of weeks ago. Very impressed. Good beer and good setup.
They had a Smoked Hefe on tap as a seasonal. Picked up a Gold at AIBA this year. Very nice drop

Enjoy

I learned something really important on the way to Bluesky Brewery today.

toybox.jpg

Yes - my Brewery is apparantly a strip club.... :eek:

For some reason I was the only one in the car that thought stopping for a photo was a good idea. :)

PB

So that's what the poles at the bar are for and the ice cooler to keep the patrons cool.

I learned something really important on the way to Bluesky Brewery today.

View attachment 42960

Yes - my Brewery is apparantly a strip club.... :eek:

For some reason I was the only one in the car that thought stopping for a photo was a good idea. :)

PB

Ha ha ha, the truth was always going to come out. :p

I've been there twice now, wish I could drop in more often!

The IPA was nothing special, actually didn't taste very IPAish, but then I'm not a regular IPA drinker anyway.
The wheat was refreshing but a touch too phenolic, not the worst Wheat available in oz though, much better than some.

The pilsener was cracking good :) I had a jug of it all by myself on a hot hot evening, $10 jugs of this pilsener are just awesome!

PS: On the other hand, I haven't touched a HB for a while since having to move up here, eagerly awaiting my chance to go back to melbourne and get my 'stuff' up here ;)

PPS: Florian, I owe you that Xmas lotto beer mate, soon as I can get you something :) Might have to be commercial, hope you don't mind.

hey pk, have u moved up north ? did you get a job up there ?
I've been there twice now, wish I could drop in more often!

The IPA was nothing special, actually didn't taste very IPAish, but then I'm not a regular IPA drinker anyway.
The wheat was refreshing but a touch too phenolic, not the worst Wheat available in oz though, much better than some.

The pilsener was cracking good :) I had a jug of it all by myself on a hot hot evening, $10 jugs of this pilsener are just awesome!

PS: On the other hand, I haven't touched a HB for a while since having to move up here, eagerly awaiting my chance to go back to melbourne and get my 'stuff' up here ;)

PPS: Florian, I owe you that Xmas lotto beer mate, soon as I can get you something :) Might have to be commercial, hope you don't mind.

yep, just got it b4 christmas eve, total surprise present, lol

I'm battling the heat and drinking the beer :)

Actually, on that thought, I'm heading out to blue sky again soon :D

PS: Not to worry, I've already located probably Cairns' only HB shop too, lmao, thats gonna get some visits if they are decent :)

PS: Not to worry, I've already located probably Cairns' only HB shop too, lmao, thats gonna get some visits if they are decent :)

There are 2, Marlin Homebrew in Showground Shopping Centre and Brewcan 102 Spence Street (opposite side of road near Harvey Normans.) If you go to Marlin ask for your VIB card "very important brewer". These shops are only for the K&K brewers and moonshiners I don't think they stock any grain and only hop teabags. I get most of my stuff mailorder from the sponsors above.

NB: Seeing as this is the Blue Sky thread you could get a six pack of the Pilsner it is unfiltered and grow the yeast strain.
Hope that does not get me barred. :lol:

When they first put on the IPA they told me it was Simcoe but could have changed the recipe since then and batches may vary quite a bit.
I like it well enough to place it No1 with the Pilsner a very close 2nd. Agree with Duff it is quite light to be called a full on IPA but it compliments Brewdog Punk IPA quite well minus a good few IBUs.
Here now, and the brewer (not Hayden) was happy to talk to me and show me the brew log. POR to bitter, Simcoe and D- Sazz @ ~55 and Amarillo @ 5. Sundays are $10 a jug.

G'Day all,

Old thread I know but didn't want to start another soooo.

I am heading To Palm Cove & Cairns in July and heard that Bluesky was clossed :( Is this true?

...and if so, is there anywhere in the area that you can get some decent beer? Any reccomendations for food aswell would be greatly appreciated.

I wouldn't mind meeting any FNQ brewers for a beer either if anyone is interested.

Thankyou.....Bong

G'Day all,

Old thread I know but didn't want to start another soooo.

I am heading To Palm Cove & Cairns in July and heard that Bluesky was clossed :( Is this true?

...and if so, is there anywhere in the area that you can get some decent beer? Any reccomendations for food aswell would be greatly appreciated.

Thankyou.....Bong
A mate of mine was up there (Cairns) last weekend and drank the pilsener. I don't know if that means its open but thats what he was drinking when he was there, dont know where he had it tho sorry.

bah
Edit - if you like Indian then 'Marinades' in Cairns is excellent imo, only a couple doors down from a stripclub too I think lol

A mate of mine was up there (Cairns) last weekend and drank the pilsener. I don't know if that means its open but thats what he was drinking when he was there, dont know where he had it tho sorry.

bah
Edit - if you like Indian then 'Marinades' in Cairns is excellent imo, only a couple doors down from a stripclub too I think lol

Thanks mate. Beer, Indian and Stripjoint....Now I just have to figure out what to do with SWMBO and the kids.

I just went to the Bluesky website and they are indeed open.... Fucked if I know where i heard it was closed :huh:

Thanks mate. Beer, Indian and Stripjoint....Now I just have to figure out what to do with SWMBO and the kids.

I just went to the Bluesky website and they are indeed open.... Fucked if I know where i heard it was closed :huh:
I think they were closed for a bit a some stage due to issues/problems/something or other regarding their premises, I dont recall exactly but I had heard that it had been resolved. But to be perfectly honest I don't really know all that much about them, I've never had their beer but my mate was impressed.

bah

The Brewery is open again for visits. I don't think they have a bar in town open yet. I did notice a load of Blue Sky stuff in a closed up shopfront on Spence Street fairly close to the brewery.

The Domestic Airport Bar is open for business and you can buy some of the beers at the local bottleshops.

They have a page on Facebook which may give you more up to date information I have not been downtown in the last month.

If you like good seafood and other stuff The Beach Almond in Palm Cove is very good and right on the Esplanade.

Hayden did mention at some stage that the bar would move from the brewery to a better location.

@ Palm Cove, the Aprs bar has a decent selection of beers incl some Belgians.

Back