Need to age a dunkelweizen?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

manson81

Reaction score
I'm going to have a crack at a dunkel for a German themed party we're having in about a month.

I know a hefeweizen would be best drunk fresh, but would this be the same for a dunkel? Or would it benefit a bit of aging in the keg?

FYI it'll be force carbed.

Excellent, cheers! I don't plan on making it til next weekend (mainly cos I haven't ordered the grain) so that'll give me 3 weeks to get it fermented out, kegged and carbed.

I have finally finished a keg of dunkelweizen that was kegged about 4 months ago and I reckon it tastes the same now as it did when first kegged. You can interpret that however you like but I think it shows that ageing isn't needed but also isn't harmful.

Dunkel lager should be, but not a dunkel weisse. Easy on the roast, maybe just a tiny bit (0.5-1%?) carafa special 1 and get the colour with dark munich/wheat/care-wheat. I'm sure there are some awesome recipes out there.

No need to age them but I find they drop nice and clear over a few weeks and drink better. The clovey phenolics really seem to come into balance as the banana ester fades a little.

That's based on my setup/temp/etc.

I did a dunkel weizenbock about .... 2 months ago now I reckon.... Anyway, I've noticed it improve significantly

Bah! Hit send by accident.... Anyway, I was trying to say that the recipe recommended 4 weeks bottle conditioning and I found that even after 4 it didn't taste as good as it does now after what... 6-8 weeks in the bottle? I've also noticed that this brew also tastes far better after cold conditioning for at least a week in the fridge - very noticeably compared to just chilling it for a day or so....

Dunkelweizen I made this winter like last year was grain to glass in 7 days......fresh is best.

What recipe are you planning?

Still trying to think of the recipe. But I'm think 50% dark wheat, 40% pilsener and the rest some dark Munich, carafa and special B. Obviously in small amounts. Completely open to ideas though.
Could chuck in a small amount of Melanoidin.

I've got this in the keg now. Fermented at 17C with a deliberate 70%'ish underpitch of 3068. Fermented out in 4 days, kegged and carbed soon after. Great chocolate and vanilla blended in with the usual banana esters. Everyone seems to be enjoying it.

Recipe: Frau Farbissina Dunkelweizen
Brewer: CarnieBrew
Style: Dunkelweizen
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 26.17 l
Post Boil Volume: 22.17 l
Batch Size (fermenter): 17.50 l
Bottling Volume: 15.80 l
Estimated OG: 1.056 SG
Estimated Color: 36.6 EBC
Estimated IBU: 14.8 IBUs
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
2.80 kg Joe White Wheat Malt (3.5 EBC) Grain 1 61.3 %
0.75 kg Bestmalz Pilsner (3.2 EBC) Grain 2 17.5 %
0.70 kg Joe White Light Munich Malt (16.0 EBC) Grain 3 15.3 %
0.15 kg Special B Malt (354.6 EBC) Grain 4 3.3 %
0.12 kg Carafa I (900.0 EBC) Grain 5 2.6 %
25.00 g Hallertauer Mittelfrueh [4.80 %] - Boil Hop 7 14.8 IBUs
0.50 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Boil 10.0 mins) Other 8 -
1.0 pkg Weihenstephan Weizen (Wyeast Labs #3068) Yeast 9 -

It doesn't take much Carafa I/Special B to give it that dark brown colour, and there's no roasted flavour at all, as it should be.

This is the recipe I used - its an attempt at an Erdinger Pikantus clone.
credit and thanks to the author , but I have to apologise because I cant remember who it was!
Its for a dunkler weizenbock, but you could easily scale it down to bring it back to an average ABV.
Its a little on the heavy side (as in mouthfeel) , but I think that had more to do with mistakes I probably made while brewing it, however IMO its a really well balanced tasty brew and would be excellent if toned down to a standard Dunkelweis.
I also primed the bottles with DME instead of dex/sugar - but I'm not well versed enough in brewing to be able to say which is better for this beer.

Batch Size = 22L
OG 1.072 (70% efficiency)
EBC 60.6
IBU 25.2

60 minute 63C mash (Optional: do a 30min 55C protein rest with the wheat before the main mash):
4kg Weyermann Wheat
2kg Weyermann Pilsener malt
300g Weyermann Munich I
300g Weyermann Cararoma
200g Weyermann Caramunich I
100g Choc Wheat
100g Roasted Wheat

90 minute boil:
36g Tettnanger Pellets (4.5% A/A) for 90 mins
26g Tettnanger Pellets for 10 mins

WLP300 yeast or Wyeast 3068 - make a basic clean wheat beer first and repitch the Pikantus wort onto the fresh slurry to get decent attenuation - keep the wort under 19C to avoid excessive esters and bananas in the final product. You should try for a sub 1.015 FG. Best served after at least 4 weeks bulk conditioning.

After everyone's advice and my searching around online, I think I'll go something like this:
Wheat Malt 2.50 kg
Pilsner Malt 2.00 kg
Carafa 1 0.10 kg
Special B 0.10 kg
Wheat Chocolate Malt 0.05 kg

25g tettnanger @ 60
15g tettnanger @ 5

3068 yeast.

What do you reckon?

It maybe a matter of taste

mine is 34 weeks old and nice and mellow

but then I drink most of my brews a 4 months +

manson81 said:
After everyone's advice and my searching around online, I think I'll go something like this:
Wheat Malt 2.50 kg
Pilsner Malt 2.00 kg
Carafa 1 0.10 kg
Special B 0.10 kg
Wheat Chocolate Malt 0.05 kg

25g tettnanger @ 60
15g tettnanger @ 5

3068 yeast.

What do you reckon?
Personally wouldn't bother with any hops after 60m, unless you're after something different from a traditional dunkel style. Rest looks good.

Just saying 3068 isn't quite enough though...if you're after something like the commercial offerings, you need to underpitch 3068, and ferment at 17C.

Thanks Carnie, so if I got a packet of Wyeast liquid 3068,i should only add about 70% of it?

Do not under pitch it, seriously.

When they say to under pitch this is in relation to commercial pitching rates which is normally much higher than home brewers would pitch.

Pitch a healthy starter at the correct rate and ferment at 17.

Slightly OT, but I read this article on BYO not too long ago which talks about wheat beers and yeast management.

Backs up what parks says about a nice big healthy starter.

EDIT: Not trying to open a wheat-beer-pitching-rate-can-of-worms, more just for reference sake.

Latest posts

Back