Nasa V Portable Hotplate V Immersion Heater

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rough60

Reaction score
Hi all,
I currently boil my single AG batches on the stove top (electric) inside but want to start doing it in my brew shed.
My preference is for a portable 2000W duel element hotplate but would consider going the immersion heater route or getting a NASA.
If it takes a while for the wort to come to the boil that's no prob.
What do people recommend and why!!
How many single batches do people get out of a NASA and a 9kg LPG bottle.
Cheers.

I use my NASA to heat both mash/sparge water and do the boil. I boil for 90 minutes most times and get 5-6 brews out of a 9kg gas bottle. I am a gentle boiler though so mileage may vary.

A number of nearby brewers really like their 1800w immersion elements for heating the strike water and accelerating the boil. Clever use of timers means the water is hot when you wake up or get home from work, while the NASA power + element shortens wort heating times dramatically.

cheers

grant

while the NASA power + element shortens wort heating times dramatically.

cheers

grant

Thanks mate, just wondering is there any advantage to shortening wort heating times other than just saving time?

Thanks mate, just wondering is there any advantage to shortening wort heating times other than just saving time?

Not really, but if you ever want to brew a larger batch you will be glad to have the power.

I use my NASA to heat both mash/sparge water and do the boil. I boil for 90 minutes most times and get 5-6 brews out of a 9kg gas bottle. I am a gentle boiler though so mileage may vary.

A number of nearby brewers really like their 1800w immersion elements for heating the strike water and accelerating the boil. Clever use of timers means the water is hot when you wake up or get home from work, while the NASA power + element shortens wort heating times dramatically.

cheers

grant

Where is the best place to pick up a NASA these days. Beerbelly seems to have been sold out for ages now....

edit: just checked and they're not even listed anymore

so fellas, is there a 'calculator' that'll tell me how many btu's i need or what size burner to use to bring a given kettle to boil in a given time? am thinking of a big kettle - up to 140 litres. thoughts?

The BCF ones include a high pressure regulator, which i think beerbelly were selling for approx 50 bucks + shipping to sydney. Its not overly bad..... but yes you think BCF could afford to sell them cheaper.

Go into bcf find out what the brand is go home and google/contact the people involved....undercut bcf.

i spoke to bcf last week and asked if i could buy the burner only, the said i could for $64. ordering 3 next week

i spoke to bcf last week and asked if i could buy the burner only, the said i could for $64. ordering 3 next week

I hope you have a pressure regulater though. Without it the Nasa burner is pretty much useless.

I hope you have a pressure regulater though. Without it the Nasa burner is pretty much useless.
If I am hard plumbing with shut offs do I need a pressure re for each or just one from the bottle

I've ordered one of the 23 jet mongolians from Auscrown for $45 + postage. Food for thought.

If I am hard plumbing with shut offs do I need a pressure re for each or just one from the bottle

Sorry havn't tried that, so i wouldn't know. I just hooked it up to a normal BBQ Regulater, and it wasn't much chop. It would boil but you would have to wait for ages.

I got a 32 jet mongolian burner (128-200mj or 120000-190000BTU) with reg, 1.8m braided stainless hose, 18" steel pipe and stainless ball lock for around $110 delivered from keefer bros. It has shortened my brew day considerably and i will never need to upgrade, even if i start brewing in 44gallon drums!
If i were to buy another i would only go with the 23 jet, its way cheaper, could do anything i want it for and will use less gas. If you already have the reg and hose then it will be cheaper again.
My 32 jet one without all the extras was $50.

EDITED TO ADD- i hear people saying that the mongolians soot really bad when they are turned down low. I had to have mine down quite low as not to overflow but i did not find it 'sooted' at all.

I got a 32 jet mongolian burner (128-200mj or 120000-190000BTU) with reg, 1.8m braided stainless hose, 18" steel pipe and stainless ball lock for around $110 delivered from keefer bros. It has shortened my brew day considerably and i will never need to upgrade, even if i start brewing in 44gallon drums!
If i were to buy another i would only go with the 23 jet, its way cheaper, could do anything i want it for and will use less gas. If you already have the reg and hose then it will be cheaper again.
My 32 jet one without all the extras was $50.

EDITED TO ADD- i hear people saying that the mongolians soot really bad when they are turned down low. I had to have mine down quite low as not to overflow but i did not find it 'sooted' at all.

how does your setup look?

it looks sweeeeet :)

Sorry i don't have a camera.

But basically i have a 50L-ish pot sitting on some cinder blocks with the mongolian sitting on the cement underneath... with a man with crazy in his eyes dancing around it, paddle in hand.

if you want to see a pic of the burner its here Its halfway down the page under mongolian, its the WS1032

it looks sweeeeet :)

Sorry i don't have a camera.

But basically i have a 50L-ish pot sitting on some cinder blocks with the mongolian sitting on the cement underneath... with a man with crazy in his eyes dancing around it, paddle in hand.

if you want to see a pic of the burner its here Its halfway down the page under mongolian, its the WS1032

Nice :icon_cheers:
Either deiciding between that and the cheap spiral burner... just not sure which is going to be better heating for a keggle? Wasnt sure how the keggle would sit on the 3 legged spiral burner either, seems like it would be kinda unsafe and possibly sit too high above the flame
Does it cause any damage to the ground where you have it running Ekul? and is it the high or low pressure reg on it?
Cheers

Latest posts

Back