Portable Immersion Water Heating Element

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trq

Reaction score
Has anyone here used one of these types of elements?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-Port...421316&hash=item20ea33dccc:g:wEsAAOSwEK9T4NCR

I currently have one of these (http://kegking.com.au/distilling/di...200-watt-stainless-steel-heating-element.html) in my kettle (50L), and it's been ok for smaller batches of BIAB starting with about 30L of water, but I'd like to start doing some bigger batches and I think I'm gonna need more grunt.

These things look pretty dangerous to me, but it also looks like it would be pretty simple, and would get out of the way when I don't need it.

Id probably use it just to get up to temp, then remove it for the mash. Then put it back in to help with the boil.

Any advice, comments or tips much appreciated.

They are not dangerous if used correctly. Just make sure they are submerged before applying power.

I've had great luck with them. Two things I've learned:

1. There's a little handle welded onto the back ( you can see it in the photo). Use that to pick it up and move it when it's hot. Don't use the cord junction.

2. Leave them in hot liquid to cool. They don't like being hung up hot and it greatly shortens the life of them. It might also give you unique burns.

You can use them to heat mash steps in BIAB or otherwise. Just hold onto that handle and keep it moving about. Otherwise you'll get scorching.

I used one of these for a while to heat my HLT. The cord warmed up and started to melt after 2 or 3 brew days. It was retired when someone else got a kick touching the brewstand...

I have one and it is 30 years or so old. I have had to replace the cord as the element heats up the connectors. It is a good idea to check the screw terminals do not become loose or get wet as that will shorten the life.

They do get very warm at the handle and if you drop the whole thing in the liquid that stuffs them right up.

I used to get to temp and to get a really good rolling boil.

Like others have said, leave in the liquid for a couple of minutes after switching off so they do not overheat.

James
Zwitter

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Latest posts

Back