My Wife Hates Me! Because....

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjp

Reaction score
Was goin to put a brew in on the weekend so thought I'd get a yeast starter goin on Sat-never had an issue with re-cultured CPA so did as usual --sat and sun and half of monday were over 30C --hadnt released pressure from my swing top starter for 48 hrs as usual (in winter)--As I was pulling it out of the pantry to release sum pressure my wife was telling me how she washed the kitchen floor and how she only just saved the washing from the storm by bringing it into the kitchen on a wire rack when I cracked the swing top---SHIT went every where.The roof-the windows-the stove -the washing-my kids homework,the clean floor--- not only that,I went ass over tit trying to grab a tea towel to hide the mess, so my wife didnt know wether to cry at my mess or laugh at my aching back on what was her once clean floor!! Have we all been in a similar situation or what? Just as a bit of a laugh for everyone.

My SWMBO is cool with all and everything brewing and I really appreciate this when I hear how guys are banned from brewing in the house.

If you have an angry SWMBO - jot down what you would have spent on beer last year if you were buying cartons from the Bottlo ... and tell her she can spend the difference.

I made a starter a few months ago from a yeastcake, shook the crap out of it every chance I got. NEVER released the pressure though!! 12am go to pitch, BOOM all over the kitchen.

I feel your pain, my wooden venetians are still stained, I'm sure the tile grout is yeast now too. :lol:

I am outdoors doing one right now.

My missus poured herself a beer on Sunday arvo..( one of nick JD 's 20 ltr specials ) I heard her whisper before she had a sip..." fuggen desperate ".

She had a couple more though.

This was the beer I was initially banned from making anymore in the house .
To be honest I prefer doing it outside now....everything I need is right there.
Laundry , my kegerator , the computer.

I have to say the only time my missus cracked was when she caught me talking to my fermenter.

the one time the mrs got the shits with my brewing stuff, is when i "accidently" :ph34r: left all my empty bottles around in the kitchen and in the pantry. She used to get really pissed off with it.

Then i told her, "you know what would be good? and i wouldn't have bottles laying around everywhere". So she goes, "what? that'd be great!!!... but how do you do that?" So i showed her a pic of a keg from Craftbrewers with a $70 price tag. "Right... when can you go get one of those, to get these bloody bottles out of the house!!"

I think i was in the car about 45 mins later.

A couple of hours later... 4 kegs, 1 x 6.8kg CO2 bottle and reg, JG fittings, copious amount of line, 1 picnic tap and an order for 4 ss perlicks off ebay.

"Now isn't that better than having bottles strewn everywhere in the house?"

:D

The slightest smell of beer can set SWMBO.

Example 1 , my first KnK boilup in the garage... the hop aroma went through the door, straight up the stairs into our bedroom. She was PISSED off.....
Example 2, rinsing fermenter yeastcakes in the laundry sink.... and Glen 20 smells worse trying to cover it up.
Example 3. just about anything to do with it.

Love your story mjp...made me LOL!

My long term gf of nearly 8 years (im to cheap to get her a ring) Hates all my brewing stuff around the house, and i have stuff all compared to some of you!
I call our spare room "the brew room" My gf says ....

"its not your fu#%!ng brew room its the spare room!, Get the FU@%*NG rumpess room out the back together and the power hooked up to it and get your sh!t out of here!!!"

But she is more then happy to drink the end resault! ;)

+1 to the "A keg is only $70 and no more bottles" followed by $500 on kegs, regs, gas, taps, fridges etc... :)

I'm lucky to have an AG-certified-friendly SWMBO. My only issues have come when pushing for the third fridge and sometimes trying to juggle kids/brewday time.

I'm very lucky too, I have a brick double garage and a wife who is a teacher so in her office most of the time she's at home.

On the other hand there was the time she dropped a 3l Oztops bottle in the kitchen... instant pressure jet of cider all over the kitchen, ceiling, walls, her... the squeal was worth it though :D

threads like this make me feel very lucky.

+1. My lady friend helps me out on brewdays (if she is home. Try to avoid it as it is not great time together). She even used to help me clean all the bottles before I realised that's a waste of time. Labels shmabels.

SWMBO still gets the kitchen and Brewery confused... I seem to be telling her all the time it's ONLY a kitchen when food is involved, if we break up the time, between Yeast farming/washing, cleaning bottles, prep work etc etc.. its far more a brewery than a kitchen... + all the drawers Ive taken over for Dex and Dme and Grains etc... ;)

still having trouble getting the idea over that I NEED a second fridge too.. :rolleyes:

:p

Great thread lads!

I live in a tiny 3x8m cabin and when my SWMBO comes down for the weekend, she always complains about the bubbling of the airlocks on the fermenters, and flames at me in the morning because she couldn't sleep with the 'bloooop, blooop, blooooooop' going all night.

To be honest I've become so comforted by the noise that I struggle to sleep without it. There's something very reassuring about knowing your baby is still breathing ;)

Maybe one day i'll give the SWMBO a break and use glad-wrap lids :D

I have to say the only time my missus cracked was when she caught me talking to my fermenter.

My missus once caught me showering with my fermenters... I figured the easiest place to wash them was in the shower. Well, one thing led to another, and I have been banned from bringing fermenters into the house.

Not as easy under the garden tap.

Wish I lived in a 3x 8 cabin in Margaret River...Injidup ...would be even better.

threads like this make me feel very lucky.

I with JonnyAnchovy. My missus just says of the extract boil, 'ooh, that doesnt smell good'. Or of the finished product 'tastes OK'. Thats about it. I am living in no hassle, no interfernce utopia.

Latest posts

Back