Help, Did wife dry hopped my Beer too early?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrdanielpcollins

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I'm currently brewing a lager in my Snub nose Fermentasaurus and prior to sealing her up I placed 50g of both citra and Vic secret in a hop bag with a piece of metal and held it to the top of the fermenter with a strong magnet that was on the back of a bottle opener. (in hindsight not the greatest idea)

I arrived home from work tonight to check how she was progressing and was amazed to see a great krausen head and my pressure off the scale. I dialed it in to just under 15psi and was about to head to bed when I noticed my hop bag sitting on top of my beer.

I started searching for the magnet and couldnt find it. I'd figured the krausen head had got so big it had risen to the bottom of the hop bag and essentially dragged the thing in...

I quickly did a google to see what issues I could be facing, before heading inside my to find the missing magnet on the kitchen bench next to a bottle of Pale Ale....

The wife had gone to the fridge and grabbed a beer albeit at 12°c and saw the bottle opener and popped the cap, in the process dry hopping my brew a few days early....

Question to all those more knowledgeable. Is there any bad side affects to this, how angry should I get with her! Lol

Hoping I won't loose too much of the aroma, guess time will tell!

Trade her in on an expert barmaid instead, but first question yourself as to why you are dry hopping a lager.
On the other hand, a wife who drinks beer is better company than one who slurps expensive cocktails.
I'm glad I don't dry hop lagers, and my wife is basically allergic to alcoholic beverages.

first question yourself as to why you are dry hopping a lager.

Probably because there are no rules saying that lagers can't be dry hopped. 'Lager' is a massive grouping of beers, so your attitude is, dare I say, a little ignorant!

@Mrdanielpcollins you'll be fine mate. Some people still spout the old wives' tale about longer dry hopping causing grassy flavours, but there's growing opinion now that it is more a function of hop variety, as opposed to time

, but first question yourself as to why you are dry hopping a lager.

I'm just experimenting and had a small amount of hops left over from my last brew. I loved the smell and taste so thought I'd chuck them in to.

Guess now it's a real experiment, I was just hoping the brew wasn't going to be wasted.

Thanks for the replies.

Citra and Vic Secret will be fine! Might get a bit of juiciness in the lager... hoppy lager incoming!

Back