My Rogers Clone Recipe Tastes Great

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not my best brew day but not my worst either.

Should have dust gone with GF water volumes instead of being clever

SG ended up at 1031 after adding 200 grams ldme

21L into fermenter

In hindsight should have boiled longer.

Soon see how she tastes.

These Rogers clones are cursed with brewday disasters.

Tbh, it sounds like you got off lightly. [emoji57]
Or at least you've hopefully done a good job correcting it.

Oh I just re-read your post. Was that 1.031 at 20*C into the FV?? If so, that kinda sucks - that's quite low! Maybe chuck some more LDME in if so.

technobabble66 said:

Oh I just re-read your post. Was that 1.031 at 20*C into the FV?? If so, that kinda sucks - that's quite low! Maybe chuck some more LDME in if so.
Hey Techno......isn't that why you make your invert sugars? Just whack a bit of that in. Instant OG.

I made a Rogers clone today, subbed in some carared in place of the medium crystal and also added 200g of my dark invert sugar. In the FV now. Might be interesting.

Waiting is always the hardest part.

technobabble66 said:
So can I put more LDME in now?
If so how much?
Should I dissolve it first in boiling water then cool?

Meathead, yep you can put it in now.
Have you pitched your yeast yet?
If not, then dissolve in some boiled water and throw it in. If you've already pitched then let it cool down to FV temp first.
If you're worried about sanitation maybe boil the water + LDME mix for several mins.

Not sure how much LDME to add. Run it thru ianh's spreadsheet. Should be 200-400g at a guess.

AJS2154 said:
Hey Techno......isn't that why you make your invert sugars? Just whack a bit of that in. Instant OG.

I made a Rogers clone today, subbed in some carared in place of the medium crystal and also added 200g of my dark invert sugar. In the FV now. Might be interesting.

Waiting is always the hardest part.
Sounds great AJ. The dark invert sugar should replace the caramel flavour from the Ned crystal perhaps, plus the maltiness from the carared. Should be v interesting!

Instant OG - one of the benefits of the Candi Syrup! Doesn't do much for the FG though [emoji6]

technobabble66 said:
Meathead, yep you can put it in now.
Have you pitched your yeast yet?
If not, then dissolve in some boiled water and throw it in. If you've already pitched then let it cool down to FV temp first.
If you're worried about sanitation maybe boil the water + LDME mix for several mins.
Not sure how much LDME to add. Run it thru ianh's spreadsheet. Should be 200-400g at a guess.
Thanks for that, I've got 253 grams and I boiled in a cup of water.

earle said:
Glad it worked out for you with the choc wheat. I brewed a very close version of this on Saturday but with 100g choc wheat as well. Very much looking forward to trying it. Thanks to the guys who have put is a lot of work on this one.
Now kegged and drinking very well. Will have to get an actual Rogers from the bottle shop to do a side by side.

med_gallery_7015_1311_25601.jpg

Side by side tasting.

Colour is spot on. Better head retention on mine. The commercial example has a bit more residual sweetness and a little more hop character. If I was trying to get closer I would perhaps increase the crystal and dry hop a little more.

med_gallery_7015_1311_13070.jpg

Great to see the comparison, earle!
Could you throw up your recipe?
What was your calc'd EBC?
Did the roasty element of the choc malt come through as a difference?

I don't think too much roasty flavour came through from the choc wheat but it could have made the difference in sweetness. On the hops and sweetness, I would be adding more hops before adding any more crystal so your suggestion could be on the mark.

I'll have to get into beersmith on my tablet to get the EBC but the recipe from a pdf for a 23l batch is:

1.65kg Maris Otter
0.8kg Munich II
0.8kg Vienna
0.2kg Caramel/Crystal
0.2kg Carapils
0.1kg Choc Wheat

Mashed at 70C for 30 min, then mashed out to 74C

10g Liberty (4%) AT 60min (4.5IBU)
15g Cascade (5.5%) at 20min (5.6IBU)
15g Galaxy (14%) at 20min (14.3IBU)

I reckon a dry hop with Cascade is the next for me.

Just ran the numbers in ianh's spreadsheet.
Should be OG=1.037, FG=1.012, 27 IBUs, 30.6 EBC, 3.5% alc

Hmmm, looks like mine's gonna be a little pale then.
I think mine is calc'd at 21 EBC. Maybe i'll steep a few grams of Midnight wheat to crank it up a fraction closer to 30...

Did you ferment it out using US-05?

EDIT: i think i might steep & boil 25g extra midnight wheat to get the colour up to 26.5 EBC, when i go to pitch my yeasties.

The more I think about it the more I would be tempted to back off the choc wheat in the mash, maybe to about 60g. Then maybe a cold steep of the other 40g to add colour.

Yep, US05

Was inspired to finally get mine into a FV.

Did the 25g Midnight Wheat steep thing using 500mL at 70°C (took 2 efforts to do the crush - first time thru the coffee blender turned it into fine powder - how on earth did NickJD do it?!?) for 30mins, then boiled down to ~200mL. Brings my recipe to a total of 50g MW.
Rehydrated & pitched the US-05 at ~23:00, so i'll see if it's cranking along tmrw. Hydro sample (OG=1.043 (of ~20L), so added 1.5L to hopefully get it to OG=1.040) tasted about right, but with a slightly strong harsh hoppiness, so i'm hoping the fermentation mellows this a little.

Fingers crossed!

Just happens that I got a 1/4 sack of choc wheat in a bulk buy a while back so it goes in everything that requires a dark grain until its gone

Don't bother with the cold steep, just run it separately through the mill a few times to make it nice and fine and add to the mashout.

Back