My Rogers Clone Recipe Tastes Great

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've wondered often if the Rodgers is the second running's from a white rabbit dark ale.

Wasn't it around before white rabbit became part of little creatures?

I think so. White Rabbit is in Vic?
Haven't they always done a dark beer in Freo though?

FWIW, pitching yeast onto my most recent failed batch (mash temp dramas). Which paves the way for planning of the next brew day as the keg of this only lasted half the expected amount of time [emoji3]

Finished out at 1.008, bugger. Should still be quaffable albeit not really a clone of Rogers...

Liam_snorkel said:
not sure if it's been posted yet, but the website lists the hops these days, it might be stella that you tasted:
Malt:
Pale malt, Wheat, Carapils, Vienna
Hops:
East Kent Goldings (UK) used in the kettle, Cascade (US) in the whirlpool with Stella (Aus) and Cascade (US, NZ and Tasmanian) whole hop flowers used in the hop back.

IBU

EBC
I was just drinking one thinking amarillo was in there flavor wise but yep stella would do it. Also I wouldn't be worried about finishing at 1.016 as the commercial version dare I say it seems a little thin?

Coincidence someone posted in this tonight. Just cracked my first almost-at-2-weeks bottle of my clone today.
Don't have the original to compare with, but tastes pretty damn close. Bit high in IBUs but as a great man once wrote, My Rogers Clone Recipe Tastes Great!!
(The extra bitterness tastes a bit more like the polyphenols(?) from cube-hopping - should hopefully mellow over a few weeks)

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1464344295.797947.jpg

(Free plug for Yeast Forge - it's da Bomb!)

technobabble66 said:
Coincidence someone posted in this tonight. Just cracked my first almost-at-2-weeks bottle of my clone today.
Don't have the original to compare with, but tastes pretty damn close. Bit high in IBUs but as a great man once wrote, My Rogers Clone Recipe Tastes Great!!
(The extra bitterness tastes a bit more like the polyphenols(?) from cube-hopping - should hopefully mellow over a few weeks)

attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1464344295.797947.jpg

(Free plug for Yeast Forge - it's da Bomb!)

How close is your recipe to chrisluki's first post?

Nice one techno! This recipe is. An ever changing evolving beast. Don't be shy guys/gals, bring what you got [emoji1][emoji1][emoji1]

View attachment 90544
My attempt, loosely based on earls recipe. Something/several things went wrong during the process and I ended up with a 2.4% ABV beer that tastes nothing like Rogers but is still well tasty and refreshing after a 30 min run. Out of the 3 light beers I've ever tasted I like it the best.

Edit: trying to fix sideways photo.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    64.5 KB · Views: 75
think I will give this one a go next week. Just read every post in this thread! Is the consensus that Earle has got closest so far? Earle, what is your current recipe?

Earle's may well be the closest.
Coincidentally DJ and I compared our clones on Tuesday night (without the real one unfortunately) and I'd say we're both pretty close on the grist. Mind you, I don't have a computer next to me to easily compare, but I think us 2 and Earle are all on a similar-ish grist. DJ's had a slightly odd caramel element that was a bit too strong, and the hops in mine are wrong (and massively overcarbed which frustratingly really throws it out, making it much harder to properly gauge the recipe I used [emoji49]). I'd be tempted to redo mine but change the hops regime - no galaxy in the dry hop, probably cascade for fwh & cube, maybe try a whirlpool or Argon with the galaxy, EKG in cube and/or dry hopped.

Otherwise, just follow Earle's [emoji1]

Frothy1 said:
I've wondered often if the Rodgers (sic) is the second running's (sic) from a white rabbit dark ale.
No, it isn't.

By the way it's Rogers', with the apostrophe after the "s", indicating a possessive plural (the beer is named after two blokes named Roger).

Coodgee said:
think I will give this one a go next week. Just read every post in this thread! Is the consensus that Earle has got closest so far? Earle, what is your current recipe?
I made a second batch of this and I think the only change I made was halving the choc wheat. This meant the colour was lighter but that doesn't really matter that much to me, but it did reduce the slight roastiness that my first batch had. I don't get much roastiness from Rogers so I guess my second batch was closer to the 'real' thing. I'm more interested in a tasty mid strength beer than creating a perfect copy of Rogers so in the next batch I might go back to the full amount of choc wheat as It was more to my taste or I might try it with a good whack of biscuit malt. Tasted the Croft Brewing Biscuit Blast (3%) and quite liked the contribution that the biscuit malt made to a midstrength beer, so might see what it brings to this recipe.

earle said:
I made a second batch of this and I think the only change I made was halving the choc wheat. This meant the colour was lighter but that doesn't really matter that much to me, but it did reduce the slight roastiness that my first batch had. I don't get much roastiness from Rogers so I guess my second batch was closer to the 'real' thing. I'm more interested in a tasty mid strength beer than creating a perfect copy of Rogers so in the next batch I might go back to the full amount of choc wheat as It was more to my taste or I might try it with a good whack of biscuit malt. Tasted the Croft Brewing Biscuit Blast (3%) and quite liked the contribution that the biscuit malt made to a midstrength beer, so might see what it brings to this recipe.
Can't believe you ever took a step backwards with choc-wheat. More, not less!

pcqypcqy said:
Can't believe you ever took a step backwards with choc-wheat. More, not less!
I wondered if any Toowoomba guys were going to pick that up. :p

Don't worry. I'm thinking of brewing another batch of that black IPA which has 460g of choc wheat in a 23L batch. That should help use up some of my stockpile.

Latest posts

Back