My Rogers Clone Recipe Tastes Great

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never used chocolate wheat malt so have no idea what it does? What is the reasoning behind adding it? From reading the thread it seems like it was a way of darkening the beer while sticking to the malts listed on the blackboard at the brewery (one of which was wheat)?

I got 1/4 of a sack of the stuff in a bulk buy a while ago - pretty much every beer that I brew that needs a dark grain gets choc wheat - simple as that - lucky I like the flavour though

Coodgee said:
I've never used chocolate wheat malt so have no idea what it does? What is the reasoning behind adding it? From reading the thread it seems like it was a way of darkening the beer while sticking to the malts listed on the blackboard at the brewery (one of which was wheat)?
Yep, mainly used for colouring, i'd say. Similar to my use of Midnight Wheat (And fwiw, similar to Earle, i got 1/5th sack of it in a BB, everything gets some if i can). The MW lends a tiny bit of flavour, so i'm guessing the Choc wheat would be similar, maybe a bit more flavour again, given a bit more is required for the colour impact.

Back to me B) I just compared mine to the real thing. I'd drop the wheat in mine - stands out like dog's balls. There might be a whisker in there, like 2-5%, but i'd be satisfied to try the next one without any (aside from the Midnight Wheat). So i'd increase the balance of Ale, Vienna and Munich malts.

So in short, mine is starting to look more like Earle's :lol:

This is my slight adaptation of Earle's recipe. Main change is centennial instead of cascade and carafa special II instead of the choc wheat.
Code:
Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 30.60 l
Post Boil Volume: 28.60 l
Batch Size (fermenter): 23.00 l   
Bottling Volume: 22.50 l
Estimated OG: 1.041 SG
Estimated Color: 23.0 EBC
Estimated IBU: 27.8 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 89.7 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt                   Name                                     Type          #        %/IBU         
1.65 kg               Pale Malt, Maris Otter (Thomas Fawcett)  Grain         1        41.2 %        
0.80 kg               Munich II (Weyermann) (16.7 EBC)         Grain         2        20.0 %        
0.80 kg               Vienna Malt (Weyermann) (5.9 EBC)        Grain         3        20.0 %        
0.50 kg               Caramel/Crystal Malt - 65L (Bairds) (110 Grain         4        12.5 %        
0.20 kg               Carapils (4.0 EBC)                       Grain         5        5.0 %         
0.05 kg               Carafa Special III (Weyermann) (925.9 EB Grain         6        1.2 %         
20.00 g               East Kent Goldings (EKG) [5.70 %] - Boil Hop           7        11.8 IBUs     
30.00 g               East Kent Goldings (EKG) [5.70 %] - Boil Hop           8        10.8 IBUs     
50.00 g               Centennial [10.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool   Hop           9        5.2 IBUs      
1.0 pkg               American Ale II (Wyeast Labs #1272) [124 Yeast         10       -             

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, No Mash Out
Total Grain Weight: 4.00 kg
----------------------------
Name              Description                             Step Temperat Step Time     
Mash In           Add 10.43 l of water at 80.5 C          72.0 C        60 min        

Sparge: Fly sparge

Coodgee said:
This is my slight adaptation of Earle's recipe. Main change is centennial instead of cascade and carafa special II instead of the choc wheat.
It's hardly beer without the choc wheat.

(sorry, Toowoomba joke)

earle said:
Now kegged and drinking very well. Will have to get an actual Rogers from the bottle shop to do a side by side.

med_gallery_7015_1311_25601.jpg

love that colour. what EBC did your recipe predict? Mine is coming in at 23.6 at the moment. that's with 50grams of carafa special III. was thinking of adding 50grams of special B?

Coodgee said:
love that colour. what EBC did your recipe predict? Mine is coming in at 23.6 at the moment. that's with 50grams of carafa special III. was thinking of adding 50grams of special B?
That's a photo of my version 1 so predicted colour was 27.7EBC

earle said:
That's a photo of my version 1 so predicted colour was 27.7EBC
56 grams of carafa special III will get me to 27.4EBC. hopefully that is not too much. I think the dark colour is an important part of the beer.

You could always try the cold steep or add it at mash out as suggested in some posts. FWIW, i added the choc wheat along with the rest of the grist at mash in.

I just realised I can actually get chocolate malt. Was the reason you dropped the choc from 100 to 50 because it was too roasty/chocolatey? if so I will probably go with version 2 grain bill. What would you change if you brewed it again now? I was thinking of using 1272 american ale II just to give it a bit more fruit and complexity which is not out of place in a mild. But the original rogers is pretty clean so maybe just US-05.

regarding colour, an easy way to make it darker is probably to just use a bit of red & green food colouring together. it's tasteless and harmless and would definitely darken the beer.

When I tasted my version 1 next to an actual Rogers, the Rogers seemed a bit sweeter. While mine didn't really taste roasty, I though the choc wheat could be over-riding the malt sweetness a little so I halved it in the second version. The second version is probably closer to the mark but I think I prefer the first version. If/when I brew it again I'll probably go back to the first version but I'm also thinking of subbing in whack of biscuit malt to see what that can bring to the party.

thanks man. I might try a darker crystal then and go with a bit more choc. would be be keen to have a few beers with you Toowoomba hooligans some time :)

Got this one set to 18 degrees in the fermenting fridge now. I set my efficiency to 65%, upped the grain % by 20% and only sparged with 8 litres instead of the usual 16.
Code:
Style: Ordinary Bitter (rogers)
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
Boil Size: 29.60 l
Post Boil Volume: 27.60 l
Bottling Volume: 21.00 l
Estimated OG: 1.042 SG (was originally 1039)
Estimated Color: 27.1 EBC
Estimated IBU: 25.4 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 % (got 70% instead of 65%)
Est Mash Efficiency: 80.7 %

Ingredients:
------------
Amt                   Name                                     Type          #        %/IBU         
23.00 l               Brisbane                                 Water         1        -             
1.00 g                Salt (Mash 60.0 mins)                    Water Agent   2        -             
2.16 kg               Pale Malt, Maris Otter (Thomas Fawcett)  Grain         3        48.6 %        
0.96 kg               Munich II (Weyermann) (22.0 EBC)         Grain         4        21.6 %        
0.96 kg               Vienna Malt (Weyermann) (8.0 EBC)        Grain         5        21.6 %        
0.24 kg               Caramel/Crystal Malt - 65L (Bairds) (145 Grain         6        5.4 %         
0.06 kg               Chocolate Wheat Malt (1100.0 EBC)        Grain         7        1.4 %         
0.06 kg               Special B (Dingemans) (300.0 EBC)        Grain         8        1.4 %         
20.00 g               East Kent Goldings (EKG) [5.70 %] - Boil Hop           9        12.1 IBUs     
20.00 g               East Kent Goldings (EKG) [5.70 %] - Boil Hop           10       7.3 IBUs      
0.50 Items            Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins)        Fining        11       -             
56.00 g               Centennial [10.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool   Hop           12       5.9 IBUs      
1.0 pkg               Safale American  (DCL/Fermentis #US-05)  Yeast         13       -             

Mash Schedule: Low Gravity Mash
Total Grain Weight: 4.44 kg
Name              Description                             Step Temperat Step Time     
Sacc Rest         Add 16.00 l of water and heat to 68.0 C 68.0 C        60 min        
Mash Out          Heat to 75.0 C over 5 min               75.0 C        10 min        

Sparge: Fly sparge with 8.05 l water at 75.0 C
Notes:
------
 mash ph 5.5, no acid addition. post boil ph 5.3.

Soooo. Anybody got any idea of how i might convert this to an extract / partial recipe???

I was stupid and promised a mate i would make a tasty mid strength, and so looking at doing a rogers.

It will be a 27L batch in total (1 keg and 24 x 330ml bottles), and the boil will be about 14L

So far i am looking at a tin of amber malt extract, a tin of wheat extract, and a grain steep using some pils.

Was also going to add some maltodextrine for some head retention and mouthfeel.

Have already got the EKG, Cascade and Ella hops. Thinking a 60 min boil with 30g of EKG, 10min Boil with 10g Cascade. Then dry hop with 20g Cascade and 30g Stella (oops i mean Ella :) )

Coodgee said:

Recipe Specifications
Boil Size: 30.60 l
Post Boil Volume: 28.60 l
Bottling Volume: 22.50 l
Estimated OG: 1.041 SG
Estimated Color: 23.0 EBC
Estimated IBU: 27.8 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 89.7 %

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
1.65 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (Thomas Fawcett) Grain 1 41.2 %
0.80 kg Munich II (Weyermann) (16.7 EBC) Grain 2 20.0 %
0.80 kg Vienna Malt (Weyermann) (5.9 EBC) Grain 3 20.0 %
0.50 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 65L (Bairds) (110 Grain 4 12.5 %
0.20 kg Carapils (4.0 EBC) Grain 5 5.0 %
0.05 kg Carafa Special III (Weyermann) (925.9 EB Grain 6 1.2 %
20.00 g East Kent Goldings (EKG) [5.70 %] - Boil Hop 7 11.8 IBUs
30.00 g East Kent Goldings (EKG) [5.70 %] - Boil Hop 8 10.8 IBUs
50.00 g Centennial [10.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool Hop 9 5.2 IBUs
1.0 pkg American Ale II (Wyeast Labs #1272) [124 Yeast 10 -

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, No Mash Out
Total Grain Weight: 4.00 kg
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Mash In Add 10.43 l of water at 80.5 C 72.0 C 60 min

Sparge: Fly sparge
Just had my first taste of this one sitting in the primary fermenter currently at 4 degrees. I think the chocolate wheat really dominates. It's got a dominant toasty flavour.

That toast my meld in time, but currently in my very humble opinion my original guess is closer to the original:
Code:
Ingredients:
------------
8.00 g                Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 mins Water Agent   1        -             
3.00 kg               Pale Malt, Maris Otter (Thomas Fawcett)  Grain         2        83.3 %        
0.25 kg               Munich II (Weyermann) (16.7 EBC)         Grain         3        6.9 %         
0.20 kg               Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (110.0 EBC)   Grain         4        5.6 %         
0.10 kg               Wheat Malt, Dark (17.0 EBC)              Grain         5        2.8 %         
0.05 kg               Special B (Dingemans) (290.6 EBC)        Grain         6        1.4 %         
20.00 g               Centennial [9.30 %] - Boil 20.0 min      Hop           7        12.4 IBUs     
10.00 g               Simcoe [13.20 %] - Boil 5.0 min          Hop           8        2.9 IBUs      
1.10 tsp              Brewbrite Slurry (Boil 0.0 mins)         Fining        9        -             
30.00 g               Centennial [9.30 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  5 Hop           10       3.1 IBUs      
30.00 g               Simcoe [13.20 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  5.0  Hop           11       4.4 IBUs      
1.0 pkg               American Ale II (Wyeast Labs #1272) [124 Yeast         12       -

This beer is on my deff to do list soon, I'm following the pioneers with interest ...

Back