My Rogers Clone Recipe Tastes Great

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
technobabble66 said:
No issue with tannins if too fine?
not that I'm aware of. With my Black IPA I triple mill about 700g of black malt and add to mashout for colour and slight flavour, no issue's. the mashout temo for me though is at 74c these days, ive doen it at 78c also and nothing like that noticed.

technobabble66 said:
No issue with tannins if too fine?
Jamil recommends grinding Special Roast to a dust for the desired colour and flavor in his Dry Stout.

Ah right. Good to know.
I tossed the first lot of 25g because it was powder & I thought I'd heard/read if the grain is powdered the tannins will extract too significantly. I guess if it's roast barley or midnight wheat it's so roasted it won't matter.

Going to put one down this weekend, based on the recipe Earle posted as I have no midnight so choc malt will go in.
I will have to sub what ever I have on hand for bittering also as I have no EKG.
*edit* As long as it's close the wife will be happy as it is her favorite beer.

Bigger, no EKG in the freezer. I have some Sazz. Hallertau MF or should I just use Magnum

Done with MF, Brew went smooth enough missed gravity by 3 points though I might need to look at the beersmith set up however I have never done a high 30 min mash before so next time I will change the efficiency and see what happens.

meathead said:
Not my best brew day but not my worst either.

Should have dust gone with GF water volumes instead of being clever

SG ended up at 1031 after adding 200 grams ldme

21L into fermenter

In hindsight should have boiled longer.

Soon see how she tastes.
Awesome beer 3 weeks in bottle looking fwd to tasting in another 3 weeks

Kegged yesterday, I will see how it tastes on the weekend. The sample I tried seemed a bit thin. But flavor was ok may be not enough roast coming through though.

Had one off the wood at Little Creatures on the weekend and I'm pretty sure they have changed the hops since last visit in late Feb.
I just couldn't pin it down but I don't think Galaxy was there.
It wasn't as bitter and seemed sweeter than normal.
Sadly, It wasn't the Rodgers I was looking forward to, but was OK.

Goddammit!!
My batch of this has been sitting flat-lined in the FV for 2 weeks now on SG=1.016.
It's meant to finish at FG=1.013. :(
I've tried waiting, swishing and stirring. Nothing.
I might try a forced ferment test, but I'm starting to suspect it's simply finished high rather than stalled.
Not sure why - maybe my mash temps were higher than expected or something.

Anyway, my Dubbel is sitting a little high as well (for the last week) in the other FV, so i might give them another few days then dry hop this and CC both of them.

I didn't take any hydro readings off mine but would expect a relatively high FG as it has quite a bit of body. Its possible that the calcs can't handle a very short high mash accurately.

Yep, that's what i'm hoping.
Especially with this one where it's low OG, but mashed very high for a short period of time.
So i'm inclined to think/hope it's done.

:icon_offtopic:
Not sure whether it might be similar with my dubbel, given its a rather high OG, with ~1kg of home-made candy syrup ... though that should be ~100% fermentability, and even if it's at 78% fermentability, it only raises the FG a point or 2.
So the problem is now that i have one beer i'm probably ready to dry hop & CC, and another beer that probably needs another 1-2 weeks at 20°C to ensure its definitely fermented out. FWP!!

Sorry, mants, i just saw this.
(i wasn't trying to ignore you. Honest! ;) )

The Mash schedule was intended to be 70/72/78 for 30/15/2.
But ended up being a bit more like 68/70/68/72/78 for 3/20/5/15/2.
Probably will be the same, but the slight drops down to 68°C made me think it'd attenuate out a bit lower. Doesn't seem to be the case now, though!
Also, i've obviously sat at ~70-72 for 45 mins (rather than 72°C for 30mins), so i assumed this would also drop the FG down a bit more. Again, not so.

Thanks for mentioning that it seems about right for the schedule you use, mants. I'm guessing you're normally doing something more like 72°C for 30mins, but at least they should provide similar results, so i know i'm in the ball park.

Also, it's sat at the same FG for over 2 weeks now, so i'm happy to call it done.

earle said:
Now kegged and drinking very well. Will have to get an actual Rogers from the bottle shop to do a side by side.

med_gallery_7015_1311_25601.jpg
Sad news, keg blew last night.

Frothy1 said:
Had one off the wood at Little Creatures on the weekend and I'm pretty sure they have changed the hops since last visit in late Feb.
I just couldn't pin it down but I don't think Galaxy was there.
not sure if it's been posted yet, but the website lists the hops these days, it might be stella that you tasted:
Malt:
Pale malt, Wheat, Carapils, Vienna
Hops:
East Kent Goldings (UK) used in the kettle, Cascade (US) in the whirlpool with Stella (Aus) and Cascade (US, NZ and Tasmanian) whole hop flowers used in the hop back.

IBU

EBC

Latest posts

Back