My Next Brew - an Imperial IPA

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Walked past the brew fridge this morning when heading out to work and the FV is still viciously bubbling away I love a big hearty brew in full flight. :super:

[SIZE=10.5pt]Had a look at the fermenter when I got home yesterday and the bubbling has slowed to a crawl somewhat. But was more amazed at seeing lots of krausen foam splattered all over the lid and top of the fermenter. The fermenting activity was obviously very vigorous. Have never seen that before. It's at least a good sign that the conversion was a good one. [/SIZE][SIZE=10.5pt]J[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Cheers,[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]Pete[/SIZE]

Sounds like a great brew mate. Looking forward to hearing how it goes as i may try this. As mentioned i was also looking at doing one too. Im trying to recreate Hop Dogs Shizzam! Or Big Sheds West Coast IPA. Big strong flavours.
At the moment trying to see what way to go for hops. Seems to be where i cant decide haha or i can but cant get a hold of them.

Sounds like a ripper Pete. goodluck, I look forward to your tasting notes

Pic of the FV attached. Zoom in. Krausen all over the lid and up into the airlock. That was one volatile ferment
. Gotta love it when beer gets frisky. :beerbang:

IIPA-FV-2016.jpg

Decided to dry-hop for last 3 days with 90grams of Galaxy. Will bottle on Sunday. Look forward to sampling it.

Bottled it yesterday and it tasted like grapefruit juice with a kick. Came out nice and light in colour which I wanted. Will be interesting to see how it develops.

1469432502608.jpg

Sounds and look very interesting Pete. I'm sure it will turn out well for you once carbonated too

peekaboo_jones said:
Sounds and look very interesting Pete. I'm sure it will turn out well for you once carbonated too
[SIZE=10.5pt]Made the fatal mistake (again) of sampling too much as I bottled, and particularly as this is 8.4%. By the time I cleaned up and finally sat down to watch the 6pm News I was done for the day and had to go have a shower and fell into bed. Woke up Monday morning at 5:30am when the alarm went off. Will I ever learn [/SIZE][SIZE=10.5pt]L[/SIZE]

By geeze how much did you sample?? And when did you start bottling?

Digga said:
By geeze how much did you sample?? And when did you start bottling?
I now make 24 Litre batches to allow me to assess/sample well and still have 23 Litres to fill 30 x 740ml bottles. Mind you this batch is 8.4%ABV and kicks like a mule.

Started bottling around 2:30pm and I think I finished around 4:30pm/5pm-ish - I did stop halfway to grab some snacks and change the brewing music.

I recall being given a toasted sanga for dinner by SWMBO and then the 6pm news started and that's when I hit the shower. Everything after that is a blur.

Wow Pete - I thought that I was the King of Sneaky Tasters but I hereby relinquish my claim to the throne.

Hey and don't forget that next Thursday 4th August 2016 is International IPA Day - so make sure you drown a few IPA's. I'll be road-testing my Imperial beast that day.

And then the day after, Friday 5th August 2016 is International Beer Day. So we have a good excuse to hit it hard for 2 days knowing the weekend it there is sober-up (or to keep drinking).

Cheers,

Pete

Interesting to know!,, my birthday is the 9th and i will be cracking my 150 lashes clone this year

Well here is The Imperialist. All I can say is yum. But has a hell of a kick. Very fruity and surprising clean flavour for 8.4%.

Will be interesting to see how it develops.

Cheers, Pete

1470182871629.jpg

1470182898029.jpg

Looks like it turned out well!

Pretty tempted to have a crack at this for my next brew

Dev, I've changed the previous recipe slightly and will update with the one I used next week. Essentially used the Brooklyn abd Azacca in the boil and dry-hopped with 90grams of Galaxy 4 days before bottling. Cheers, Pete

Back