My Next Brew - an Imperial IPA

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It'll be my first AG BIAB so I'm just trying to figure it out at the moment, Brewersfriend and the BIAB Beer Designer spreadsheet are giving me wildly different results on grain amount so I'm tracking it back to see where I've gone wrong.
4kg of grain seems like way too much to only achieve 4.48 ABV for 10L into the fermenter

Devhay said:
It'll be my first AG BIAB so I'm just trying to figure it out at the moment, Brewersfriend and the BIAB Beer Designer spreadsheet are giving me wildly different results on grain amount so I'm tracking it back to see where I've gone wrong.
4kg of grain seems like way too much to only achieve 4.48 ABV for 10L into the fermenter
Without putting it through beersmith id say your efficiency may be out. That mount of grain should give twice that volume into fermenter.

Ah that's what it is! Thank you! the efficiency in Brewersfriend was set at 30% for some reason

Gigantorus said:
Dev,

Heres the updated recipe. Having tasted a bit now I'd be inclined to drop the Dextrose to just 1kg. 8.4% is way too sleepy a brew. I have one bottle (740ml) and I'm falling asleep. :)

Cheers,
Pete
Am thinking that the next time I do this one I'll drop the Dex to 0.5kg and up the Extra LDME to 4.0kg to cut back on the firm alcoholic taste. Had another one on Saturday and it's still a good drinking brew - just could do with loosing a little of that alcoholic taste.

Next brews will be: (1) English IPA and (2) an even more Choc Rye'd up version of the American Brown Ale. Then will do a few pale ales for summer.

Cheers,
Pete

Mine have been bottled up for a week now.. I might have to have a sneaky taste of one this week because I'm impatient haha

Let us know how you go if you re-brew it, I'd like to give it another crack and hopefully hit the target figures this time.

Devhay said:
Mine have been bottled up for a week now.. I might have to have a sneaky taste of one this week because I'm impatient haha

Let us know how you go if you re-brew it, I'd like to give it another crack and hopefully hit the target figures this time.
I'm keen to hear what you think, Dev. I reckon it was way better to drink when it was young - so don't hold back ya hear. :)

Think it will be a few brews before I do it again. Just created an easy pale ale recipe, which will be a nice easy drinking ale for the summer months. Now tossing up which one I'll do this weekend :)

[SIZE=12pt]This is getting brewed on Saturday. It's a slight change to my old recipe (chucking in more choc rye), which was a re-jig of the Coopers Ol Brown Dog recipe. My mouth is already watering just thinking about it. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]I can't believe that someone hasn't already cottoned on to putting rye in an American Brown Ale. It is truly magnificent. And yes, it is no longer meeting the BJCP guidelines for an American Brown Ale.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Cheers,[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]Pete[/SIZE]

View attachment Spicy-Grizz-V4.pdf

Gday Pete,
Sounds delicious! Do you still use the Coopers kit can for this or is it per the recipe with dry malt etc?
I need to get some Rye, it's making my mouth water!

Hey Peek,

I normally use 1 x Cooper Dark Ale can + 1 x Coopers Amber Malt can. The last time I did the Spicy Grizz I also used: 500g LDME, and a 40 min steep of 1.1kg of grains:

• 200grams CaraMunich3 Malt
  • 200grams Rye Malt
  • 200grams CaraPils Malt
  • 300grams Shepherds Delight Malt
  • 100grams Chocolate Rye
  • 100grams Belgium Special B Malt

This new recipe will use mainly dry malts plus a can of Coopers Liquid Amber malt (only using the liquid as I have it and need to use it). If I didn't have the can of liquid amber malt, I would have just used 1kg of amber dry malt. My steep for this new version will be simple and use 1.4kg of grains:

- 500grams Caramel Rye
- 700grams Choc Rye
- 200grams Shepherds Delight

Yeah loving the choc rye malt. The choc version seems to have more kick than the straight caramel rye (maybe). It seems to particularly go really well with the American Brown Ale style.

Cheers,
Pete

After sucking on a couple of my previous Ryed-up American Brown Ale I was worried that 1200grams of rye would be a little too much in the new recipe. So ended up cutting back on the rye and including a couple of extra malts, which was:

- 300grams Caramel Rye
- 500grams Choc Rye
- 300grams Shepherds Delight
- 100grams CaraMunich3
- 100grams Belgium Special B

The FV is happily bubbling away this morning. :)

Cheers,

Pete

Gday Pete,

Your recipes sound great. I think with some beer it really works out well blending some different grains together.

Looking forward to your results.

This weekend I'm putting down a Stone and Wood pacific ale clone, for a friend.
After that I'll be making my partial mash IPA probably testing the Robobrew out

Hey Nick,

Time will tell I guess whether it's too much rye. I quite like the Belgium Special B malt - but you can over do it as well. I won't use anymore than 100grams. Otherwise you get a big buttery raisin flavour going on that takes 3+ months to tame down.

Mmmmm a S&W PA huh? Would you mind sharing the recipe?

Ah the Robobrew. Am still thinking about that. Have been dropping my spare change into a bucket to save up for one.

Cheers,

Pete

Hi Pete,

My taste pallet isn't that good, I have used 150g Special B and only picked up caramel flavour similar to caramalt. Oh well.

Yeah will share for sure, it's pretty simple and I'd say fairly easy to adjust kit can for a Coopers Pale Ale tin.
A box of BE3 and some dry wheat malt could do the trick too?

cheers
Nick

1474439933463.jpg

[SIZE=10.5pt]Hey Nick,[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]I wouldn't say my palate is anything special. But the first time I use Spec B I threw 300grams into the recipe (American Brown Ale). While it was all steeping there was a nice raisiny aroma in the kitchen and I thought "that's a real nice aroma". Then when I first tried the batch .... wholly jesus .... friggin big doses of buttery raisins, which lasted for 3 months before it calmed down. So went easy after that point.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Thanks for the recipe. Looks real simple and tasty. Yeah your suggestions like about right I reckon.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Cheers,[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Pete[/SIZE]

Well the Rye'd up American Brown Ale is now bottled and will get sampled in 2 weeks time. German Rye Ale was mixed up on Sunday and is in the FV bubbling away.

Now the mind is turning to the next recipe, which will be a collaboration brew with my Bro-in-law, who loves a good stout. So we've found an existing Russian Imp. Stout recipe from the USA (North Coast Old Rasputin RIS Clone recipe from American Homebrewers web site), which we've played around with. Bro-in-law loves the Clout Stout (don't we all). So we are attempting to make something in the same style (I say hopefully). We've called the brew : "Putin On The Ritz - RIS". Attached is the recipe so far. Fingers crossed its drinkable.

Cheers,
Pete

Putin-On-The-Ritz-RIS-2016.jpg

Some how over-looked the German yeast details, which said:

A German ale yeast selected for its ability to form a large firm head when fermenting. This top cropping ale yeast (AKA K-97) is suitable for top fermented beers with low esters levels and can be used for Alts & Belgian type wheat beers. Sedimentation: low. Final gravity: low.

Boy that sucker was spewing out through the airlock and spitting all over the inside of the fridge. That was an active ferment once it got going. Note to self for future use of German Yeast. :)

I've yet to have a squirter but await the day lucky I had a 12%odd 21 L RIS in a 85l vessel or may have come up out the top!

Digga said:
I've yet to have a squirter but await the day lucky I had a 12%odd 21 L RIS in a 85l vessel or may have come up out the top!
I'll bottle the German Ale this Saturday. Looking forward to seeing how it turned out.

I'm planning on adding a 3/4 inch outlet on the fermenter lid and run a 3/4 inch hose from lid into a half-filled bucket of water for the RIS ferment. I expect this to be a big bubbler. Only doing a 20L batch in my 30L FV.

Latest posts

Back