My Next Brew - an Imperial IPA

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gigantorus

Reaction score
Been playing with the Brewer's Friend software and have decided to do an Imperial IPA next with my new favourite hops - Brooklyn (Moutere) and Azacca. Want to keep it as simple as I can.

Attached is what the recipe is looking like.

So throw your thoughts/comments/ideas at me before the weekend?

Cheers,
Pete

View attachment BrooZacca Imperial IPA.pdf

Hey Brad,

Have only just started playing with rye of late. First used some in a pale ale (50grams) which really didn't come through, then in an American Brown Ale (200grams choc rye and 200grams caramel rye) which has just come through. 500grams is my highest amount in a recipe so far.

How much rye do you generally use in a recipe?

Cheers,

Pete

the DrSGA, I use 1kg of rye for a 4.75kg grain bill. and yes it comes through in buckets and always gets great compliments. However for my IPA I wound it back to 500g. and now writing this, I don't know why I did.

mongey said:
As a IIPA whore I'm keen to hear how this goes.
No worries, Mongey. Will report back.

It's a bit light for an IIPA but its planned that way - I wanted something real light and clean. Had a newstead brewing Azacca IPA the other month and it was nice and light and clean tasting (pic attached).

Cheers,
Pete

newstead-azacca-ips.jpg

Gigantorus said:
Hey Brad,

Have only just started playing with rye of late. First used some in a pale ale (50grams) which really didn't come through, then in an American Brown Ale (200grams choc rye and 200grams caramel rye) which has just come through. 500grams is my highest amount in a recipe so far.

How much rye do you generally use in a recipe?

Cheers,

Pete
Sampled the Rye American Brown Ale last night for the first time since bottling and it is rather delicious. Choc rye flavours giving over to great malt and hops. Think I'll be killing a few of these over this weekend. Glad I tried the 2 rye malts. Made a quick label to go with it for a laugh.

Cheers,
Pete

spicy-grizz-2016.jpeg

I've brewed a few RIPAs and 15% is a lovely spot to have the rye...
LOVE Brooklyn too..

nice one

Ta. The label was done at wwww.beerlabelizer.com

Thanks. Yeah I've tasted a few rye IPA's over the years and enjoyed them to a degree - some just had too much pepperiness to them. But I have never seen a Rye American Brown Ale - so I made one and it works. The Chocolate rye really works nicely with the dark flavours - it also tames down the pepperiness. But like with all brews, lets see how it develops over time. Could turn into crap is a few weeks. I hope not.

Yeah I'm loving the Brooklyn, or Moutere as it's now known. The Yanks got upset with the Kiwis for using the name Brooklyn so the hop name got changed to the district that the hop was first grown.

Well done Pete! Do you print the labels too, if so what type of paper or printer? I'm keen to do some occasionally

Looks good,
I did a few IPA's with these and a few other hops.
One issue i found, using Azacca for bittering was it can impart a harsh almost astringent bitterness. one suggestion would be to look at swapping the 60 min azacca out for something like Warrior, Melba or Magnum that have a lower Co-Humulone level, these seem to be a bit smoother to me

peekaboo_jones said:
Well done Pete! Do you print the labels too, if so what type of paper or printer? I'm keen to do some occasionally
Peek,
I rarely use labels to be honest. I bought a license to beer labelizer early on in my home brewing thinking I'd be using them. But really haven't. Just use one now and then as a bit of a joke with family (if I think up a crazy name or give a bottle for a birthday present and put their pic on label etc.).
When I do a label just use standard photocopy paper. I occasionally use some glossy picture paper (if I can find it in the drawer).
Cheers,
Pete

MickGC said:
Looks good,
I did a few IPA's with these and a few other hops.
One issue i found, using Azacca for bittering was it can impart a harsh almost astringent bitterness. one suggestion would be to look at swapping the 60 min azacca out for something like Warrior, Melba or Magnum that have a lower Co-Humulone level, these seem to be a bit smoother to me
Hi Mick,

Thanks for the heads up on Azacca. I have some other packets of hops in the freezer and will grab something else for the front end and keep the Azacca for flameout and dry-hop.

Cheers,

Pete

Looks interesting. Im going to have to keep posted on this. My next project will be an Imperial IPA or double IPA. Ive read that you need to get your hop bill right. (Styles together) and constant, regular additions through the boil.

Fender,

Be aware that I'm not going for a big IBU beast with this. I'm aiming in the mid-50s to just hitting the 60s IBU range.

Cheers,

Pete

Brewed this sucker on Saturday arvo and it's sitting in the brew fridge at 18C in the early stages of fermentation - It should be bubbling away this afternoon when I get home.

I end-up just going with the Brooklyn & Azacca hop additions as per my recipe, as I only had Galaxy in the freezer and didn't have time to go any get some more. The wort is nice and pale, which was my intention.

Just not sure if I should dry-hop with 90grams of Galaxy or not? Never used 3 x 90gram packets of hop on one recipe before - must be the Scottish in me. What you think folks? Should I leave it as is or throw the 90grams in 4 or 5 days before bottling?

Cheers,

Pete

Hahaha love the label. Keen to see how this turns out, an IIPA has been on my to do list for a while now

Devhay said:
Hahaha love the label. Keen to see how this turns out, an IIPA has been on my to do list for a while now
Devhay,

Thought what does Imperial really mean, then found this pic on Google Images. Thought it hit the mark.

Am working from home today and have been past the brew fridge a few times today and it's really bubbling hard at the moment, which I expected.

Should be interesting. At 8.4% it will be a snoozy brew.

Cheers, Pete

Latest posts

Back