My Next Brew - an Imperial IPA

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cheers Gigantorus!

I picked up the grain and hops for this over the weekend, so once I stock up on DME and dex I'll have a crack and let you know how I go!

No worries, Dev. Look forward to hearing about your results.

Incidentally, if you drop back the dextrose to 1.0kg you'll get about 7.9%ABV.

Cheers,

Pete

[SIZE=12pt]Don't know whether it's just me or there is something in that Imperial IPA I made, which was calculated at 8.4%. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]Last night was yet another experience in a long line of experiences with this particular brew. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]Was heading out for a date night dinner with my better-half and remembered that there was a small amount of the IIPA still in the fridge that I hadn't finished from the weekend - so emptied that in a glass and downed it over a 5 min period savouring it as I went (it still is tasting nice with a great grapefruity flavour about it). Then we head down the road to the local tavern for dinner. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]About half an hour later (and this aspect has always been the same) I'm suddenly feeling un-steady on my feet and a little hazy in the head. Man this stuff sneaks up on you and then just whacks you in the noggin, and it's been that way right from the first bottle - one moment happily drinking and enjoying it and then "wham" everything changes about 30 mins later. Can never get past 1 x 740ml bottle in a sitting.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]So just in case it ain't me and it's the brew - you folks be careful with it and don't operate heavy machinery after drinking it OK? [/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]J[/SIZE][SIZE=12pt] This is your conscience warning you.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Cheers,[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]Pete[/SIZE]

Whoa Pete, that's one badass IPA you made!
I believe home brew beer effects me more than commercial beers these days. Not sure why. Most of my beer is around the 5-6% mark but usually 2 beers in a sitting effects more than 8 pots down at the pub?

It's like when I down a couple of pints of my Pliny the elder Beer which is at about 9% double APA and hopped up to the max.Very tasty but also is a great night cap/ killer lol.

It's not just the alcohol working on you, it's the mega hop load. Hop oils have a therapeutic effect on you. I have a couple of old hippy mates that actually like grabbing some pellets / flowers from my brew house and smoking them when they are over downing a few of my beers. They recon it's a nice mellow affect after a few of them. Although I don't smoke, I did try this once with them and found after a few conical shaped amounts lol, I did get a mellow sort of state for say 10 mins, nothing to rave about but they did do something.
I prefer to drink them.

I was told by an old brewer once, but in the old days when hops commercially were picked by hand, they sometimes would find a hop picker or 2 sleeping amongst the vines from the oils getting into their skin.
Not sure if it's that true, but hops do contain compounds that act like a sedative.I like telling the story after pulling out a keg of Pliny to end a party . Lol
There are natural remedies etc about that use hop compounds from what I've been told.

[SIZE=12pt]Most of the brews I make are in the 5% to 6% range with the occasional 7.5% (this is my Midnight black ale) and though I get a little tipsy I never go down like a rhino shot with a tranquiliser dart, which has been the situ with the IIPA.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]So Coldspace's comments about the concentrated hop effect could be the key to all this malarkey. It certainly make sense to me. This is the first brew ever that I used 3 x 90grams of hops pellets in - my largest amount previously was 2 x 90grams. So will keep this in the back of the mind for future evaluation - might do a big hoppy American Pale Ale with 3 x 90grams (130grams at flameout and 130grams as dry-hop) and no Dextrose and see what the affect is.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Thanks all for your comments.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Pete[/SIZE]

Finally had a crack at this one last night, only ended up going with 1kg of dextrose and made the dumb mistake of topping it up to 23L then realising I still had 2kg of DME to add so it ended up sitting just under 25L

So i think it may be a little less imperial than intended, but hopefully still churns out something tasty and probably a little more week night friendly haha

Devhay said:
Finally had a crack at this one last night, only ended up going with 1kg of dextrose and made the dumb mistake of topping it up to 23L then realising I still had 2kg of DME to add so it ended up sitting just under 25L

So i think it may be a little less imperial than intended, but hopefully still churns out something tasty and probably a little more week night friendly haha
Dev,

The original recipe was for 24Litres - so you weren't far off (23L for bottling and 1L for sampling while bottling).

I just ran the 25Litres and 1kg of dex equation and it will give you: OG 1.068, FG 1.013, ABV 7.28%, IBU 58.37.

The general specs of a Double IPA/Imperial IPA are: OG 1.065 - 1.085, FG 1.008 - 1.018, ABV 7.5 - 10.0, IBU 60 - 120. But lets not carried away with tradition. ;-)

It will probably be a cleaner, better brew actually. You'll probably taste the hops better.

Cheers,

Pete

That makes me feel a little better about it actually my OG was 1.066, so it should still be on track!

The joys of brewing and learning as you go haha

It was bubbling away happily this morning.. will be interested to see if it ferments as aggressively as yours did too

Dev,

It's all good fun.

Good to hear. I'm sure it will pick up the pace by tomorrow. :D

Cheers,
Pete

Google sedative affects of hops. Lots of info there.
Better still, brew mega hop bomb beers like Pliney the elder with 450 grms total hops, yeah baby..

Gigantorus said:
Will do, Coldspace. Thanks.

Mmmm let me think about that. ;-)

Speaking of Pliney recipes, Brewers Choice up here had the attached recipe listed the other week. Doesn't use much hops at all compared to your suggestion (and what I believed the Russian River original actually uses). 3kg of dex though?
That receipe has 479grms or over 1 lb of hops. Similar to mine but I use an all grain one.
Go for it.

[SIZE=12pt]Yeah I don't know, Coldspace. Not particularly keen about the having to feed the brew the dex - can see an infection in that. And anyway after the Imperialist IPA, my big brew interest has been satisfied for now. Actually had one yesterday and it's mellowing into a nice brew. It has a nice fine-bubble head that hardly dissipates and still a great grapefruity flavour. The heavy alcohol back flavour has mellowed as well - don't really taste like it's 8.4%.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Pete[/SIZE]

Have been over seas for a week, so my version has had a nice 14 day ferment so far, dry hopped Tuesday and will let it sit for another day or two before I cold crash it.
Took a hydrometer reading and its sitting at 1.015 which I'm pretty happy with, will see if it drops or hangs around over the next few days
Tasting the sample after though.. wow! I definitely see what you were saying about the flavour now, beautiful strong grapefruity taste with a hint of passionfruit maybe? and a decent kick to back it up

Can't wait to bottle this one up

Hey Devhay,

Good to here it's all going as planned.

Yeah it's like drinking fresh grapefruit juice with the hint of passionfruit that has a solid kick to it. You'll sleep well too. ;-)

I've found that it mellows quite a bit over time, as all brews do. So drink it young and enjoy it at it's best.

Attached is my next brew (I think) - a Blonde Ale using Brooklyn and Galaxy hops late in the boil and in a dry-hop. A nice easy summer brew.

Cheers,

Pete

View attachment BrooLaxy Blonde Ale 2016.pdf

It must be getting to that time of year.. my next brew planned will be a nice easy drinking summer ale too haha
I'm thinking of aiming for a sessionable SMaSH Kolsch with ale malt and czech saaz though

Latest posts

Back