My New Ag Sysytem

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Back Yard Brewer

I HAVE A WIFE THAT UNDERSTANDS
Reaction score
Well it is finally starting to happen. Got my shit together this arvo and started putting my new sculpture together. All SS and IMHO it is more satisfying knowing that it has only cost me $30 probally less, for the tube!! Work was clearing out the scrap yard to send away to scrap so a few offers later I have enough SS to go stupid with.I have used a mig welder but I have not had any experience TIG welding so it has been quite a learning curve for me. So far I am happy with the results. Now it is just a matter of some more inspiration to build on to what I have done this arvo. Will update this thread as I progress.

BYB

IMGP2012.JPG

I'm already jealous :( I can't wait to move away form the milk crates that form the skeleton of my brewery...

I'm already jealous :( I can't wait to move away form the milk crates that form the skeleton of my brewery...

You mean something like this :( This was my earlier days. I have evolved but still use milk crates for my HLT

My next project is to have a crack at making a small conicall SS fermenter. That would be a treat.

BYB

IMGP1254.JPG

Great start on the rig there. Can I enquire as to why not 3 level? Are you planning on using a pump from Mash Tun to Kettle?

Slightly off topic - I have been informed the SS has been ordered for my 100L kettle. Hurrah!

Great start on the rig there. Can I enquire as to why not 3 level? Are you planning on using a pump from Mash Tun to Kettle?

Slightly off topic - I have been informed the SS has been ordered for my 100L kettle. Hurrah!

I have a march pump which is being used on my current system. Just a matter of deciding whether I sell my current system when my new one is finished or just rape and pillage the parts for my new one.

BYB

Looking good also tells me my welding isnt to far away!!

Brilliant Idea, I have been racking my brains to work out a quick convenient moveable platform to support my urn when it arrives in a couple of weeks (BIAB) so it's under the skyhook in the garage and high enough to transfer to cube afterwards, and had never even thought of milk crates.
Thanks for that. :rolleyes:

SS on wheels will come later.

Just an update. Will install my march pump and italian spiral burner next then will be waiting on the 98ltr SS pots from Beerbelly to fire it up. The tower where the HLT will be on, is to be enclosed on the sides and bottom for storing my brewing bling.

BYB

IMGP2018.JPG

nice work BYB B) , looking fwd to seeing it finished.

cheers

Brilliant Idea, I have been racking my brains

I reckon milk crates are akin to basic building blocks for brewers...

I wont be able to provide a strucutral engineers certificate for load rating though! :D

Well its been nearly 6 weeks since my first post and things are coming along nicely but slowly. Just waiting now for the stockpots. 100ltr HLT, 70ltr MT, 100ltr kettle. Then a 3.6kw ellement for the HLT.

BYB

IMGP2086.JPG

Well its been nearly 6 weeks since my first post and things are coming along nicely but slowly. Just waiting now for the stockpots. 100ltr HLT, 70ltr MT, 100ltr kettle. Then a 3.6kw ellement for the HLT.

BYB

nice, very nice B)

going to look the dux nuts with the pots in place

cheers
Yard

btw, got a link for the HLT element ?

Steady as she goes. Have now picked up my SS pots compliments of Beerbelly Still have a bit of bling to attach to it. The MT in the middle is bottom draining and will have a 12" round FB. I will need to move my chiller a fraction sideways so the MT can be more central to where I want it. Still throwing the idea around whether to go for a 3.6kw or 3kw ellement for the HLT. Will most likely mash in with around 30ltrs. My idea is to only heat what I need for mash in then fill again for sparging. With this in mind I would only need to heat around 70ltrs at any one time. In a nutshell 30-35ltrs for mash in then reheat around 70 for sparging. With a little bit of a clean the sha bang should come up well. Currently 46c in the shed :(

BYB

IMGP2107.JPG

IMGP2108.JPG

Looking good BYB, so jealous of the staino frame, maybe in my next life time... I went for the 3600W element, glad I did now. I only heat 45-48L of water in my HLT and it only takes around 15 min max

Looking good BYB, so jealous of the staino frame, maybe in my next life time... I went for the 3600W element, glad I did now. I only heat 45-48L of water in my HLT and it only takes around 15 min max

How have you got it wired? 15amp plug? Through a controller? So many questions.......

BYB

Hmmm.. brief description, I have a 20A rated circuit with the one outlet for my brewery. The panel for my brewery has a mains supply 16A combined RCD/MCB. On the element circuit I have a 20A contactor driven by a rotating switch on the front of the panel as an on off. The contactor then supplies active to the load side of a 40A SSR. The SSR is driven by a PID. Hope that makes sense...

Hmmm.. brief description, I have a 20A rated circuit with the one outlet for my brewery. The panel for my brewery has a mains supply 16A combined RCD/MCB. On the element circuit I have a 20A contactor driven by a rotating switch on the front of the panel as an on off. The contactor then supplies active to the load side of a 40A SSR. The SSR is driven by a PID. Hope that makes sense...

A little way over my head. Was hoping to do something similar to my current ellement set up that I have on my kettle, that is a 2.4kw ellement with a 15amp plug wired. This runs of a dedicated 16amp circuit in my shed. I also have a 1.8kw running to a 10amp supply. I have only once had the 32amp shed breaker trip out at the house which was my fault. On that day I had the a/c in the bar running along with 3 fridges. Nowadays I run the 1.8kw to the house if needed which is very rare.

BYB

Wow that is so fast

Latest posts

Back