My first all grain

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cavemanbrew

Reaction score
Well from reading all posts and absorbing everything i can, I gave it ago and I'm quite impressed with the result.

The brew was made brewed in a single pot in pot half assed system but I managed to maintain the temps.
Hops were added I think a little early but time will tell.

That moss stuff removed a small amount of suspended particles but was quite clean to start with.

My pump stuffed up, ( not sure on that, cheap ass) but a pool pump worked ok,
I would like to thank everyone who posted advice on all grain brewing, thank you

I have placed a dark/old/woodcutters old in the fermenter and let's see the results.

Hi all, up date beer in keg yes beer in keg, gassing and tomorrow or Friday night will be the first pour.

Picture to come.

Well done on your first brew mate. You wont look back now. I reckon brewing is possibly the best hobby anyone could take up

Well due to the brewclonematho'scontrol not going to well boys and girls here she is

Caveman Old

image.jpg

Taste very nice
Pour good head
Head retention nice

All in all I may have done it

Cheers to all who advised thx

Nothing like the first AG. That's it now, you'll be spending half your free time recipe researching, then half brewing. Once i had a few AG's under my belt, I felt the need to have a whole load of grain in the shed, some yeast washes in the fridge sitting next to a bulk lot of hops. That way I could go out and do a brew when ever I liked rather than plan to have it all ready at the store.

Good to see it turned out well!

Just one question, what was your brew date? I may be wrong, but it appears you went from brewing to keg in 6 days. That's awfully quick. If its the case, to show further improvements in your beers, you can leave it on the yeast a good few days after it has hit final gravity. Although the beer has finished fermenting, the yeast is still active in cleaning up off flavours it creates during the fermentation process. Also, if you were to bottle it too early (I know you are kegging) you could end up with bottle bombs.

All ways kegged, but this is my first all grain, brewed in a make shift pot two weeks ago today, was just after I could not make the offer from one of the AHB members, so I thought I give it a go. Cheers for the info and advice

Looks good mate,

I'm doing my first AG brew tomorrow. :D

I usually leave my brews around 4-5 days after finishing fermenting and add some hops. But if you bottle straight away, it might just take a while to get real nice. My local HBS person told me that everyone use to rack (me included) but now they've found that leaving it in primary gives better long run flavours.. I always found this was the case when I first started brewing about 8 years ago, seemed the 'racking' made the beer taste a bit off. Will never rack to secondary again.

I just opened my first all grain. It's a fairly hoppy IPA and is freeking delish. I split my grains into thirds and BIABed it because I only have a 10 Lt pot for a 23 Lt batch. Next time, a little less hops but I did a brew sheet so I can make appropriate changes.

I still am learning doing AG and I've been doing it for 5yrs off and on. There is always something to learn, the rewards are worth the extra effort. Good stuff keep it up.

Latest posts

Back