My Education Into Beer Appreciation

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kook,

You'll love the Deus. Another winner from Bosteels. This one is a real treat. :super: Very much a cross between a tripel and champagne. IIRC they even mature it in the Champagne Region in France. An interesting beer that may leave you with a headache. :rolleyes:

Give us all a good rundown on the Achel too. The newest of the trappist brewers and unfortunately the only one I've yet to try. :(

Warren -

kook,love the educational momento,s if only i could con the better half into.... nah bugger that i will keep on dreaming. :p

macr said:
Very disappointed with the Holgate white ale. It was dead flat :angry: so maybe I will have to try that another day.
Must have been a duff bottle - I've had a fair bit of Holgate, and never had a flat one. More often too much condition than too little.

The Holgate Old Pale Ale, was suprising dark, for what I imagined a pale ale was meant to represent, but its flavour was quite nice, can't describe it any better as I was getting a wee bit drunk, so I will need to get another one of those to try again :party:.
[post="62230"][/post]​
Old Pale Ale is named in the English style of "Pale Ale" - ie synonomous with Bitter/Best Bitter/etc and otherwise completely meaningless.

nonicman said:
Kook, that is impressive. Can't wait for the Belgium Beer Festival at the Grande Palace this Sept.

A note on the Ruddles County that I and (I'm guessing) Snow have tried at the pig and Whistle branded pubs. Walked up to the bar and spotted a promo light with tap advertised Ruddles Smooth, after telling the barman no I don't want Redstripe (Jamacian VB at $7 a pop, second time they've pushed it on me) I asked for that, pointing at the promo light/tap (I thought it was a real tap, silly me) the barman went over to the tap labelled Ruddles County. Was informed that it is a "mid-strength" ale. Hence the colour and favour difference.
[post="62312"][/post]​
Purely an academic question, since I've no intention of drinking the stuff whatever the answer, but is Red Stripe sold here manufactured locally, imported from Bedford, or imported from Jamaca?

Likewise for Kingfisher (except for replacing Bedford & Jamaca with Faversham & India respectively)?

i lived in Jamaica for 5 years & was quite partial to the Red Stripe at the time... not condoning it, as it was quite a few years ago, wouldn't mind trying one just for nolstalga - i'll have to give the pig & whistle a hit next time I'm up your way Nonic - was up there last weekend & got in trouble at O'Malleys the Irish pub ;) ...

I had a red stripe recently, and it wasnt bad. There's nothing much to recommend it, but it was a decent example of a bland commercial lager. It had no strange flavours.

macr said:
Very disappointed with the Holgate white ale. It was dead flat :angry: so maybe I will have to try that another day.
Sean said:
Must have been a duff bottle - I've had a fair bit of Holgate, and never had a flat one. More often too much condition than too little.
I think that is what happened :(
macr said:
The Holgate Old Pale Ale, was suprising dark, for what I imagined a pale ale was meant to represent, but its flavour was quite nice, can't describe it any better as I was getting a wee bit drunk, so I will need to get another one of those to try again :party:.
Sean said:
Old Pale Ale is named in the English style of "Pale Ale" - ie synonomous with Bitter/Best Bitter/etc and otherwise completely meaningless.
Ah yes, as stated on their web site:
Holgate Brew House said:
Bitter Pale Ale/Old Pale Ale -5.0% a/v
After the classic English bitter style, this Pale Ale is copper-red in colour and is big on hops - both bittering and aroma. A special blend of crystal and roast malts contribute to a light roast/nutty flavour that balances the bitterness.

Tried the Duvel and the Chimay last night. I said to swirl the Duvel around the mouth for a bit before swallowing and she said that accentuated the alcohol in it. Checked the bottle 8.5%. Wow how did she pick that. I thought that the Duvel had a nice malt flavour to it and not much of a bitter after-taste. I would definitely buy this beer again. It poured just like the picture on the back of the bottle. Lots of head.
Then there was the Chimay Red. What can I say, The colour was a muddy brown, the aroma was beudifulllll :beerbang: The flavour was the most distinctive caramel flavour, that I have tasted so far and it really accentuated it in the after taste. This beer will appear as a regular beer for me :chug:. It may be expensive but now I know why they compare other beers to the Chimay :beer:. I think I need to buy one of the big bottles next pay day.
This only leaves we with one of my current crop to try, and that is the Abt / Quadrupel - Rochefort 10 (Belgium). I hope it compares favourably to the Chimay red.
Kook, that is so unfair teasing us like that :(. Do give a full review for us on this thread.

macr said:
Tried the Duvel and the Chimay last night. I said to swirl the Duvel around the mouth for a bit before swallowing and she said that accentuated the alcohol in it. Checked the bottle 8.5%. Wow how did she pick that. I thought that the Duvel had a nice malt flavour to it and not much of a bitter after-taste. I would definitely buy this beer again. It poured just like the picture on the back of the bottle. Lots of head.
[post="62352"][/post]​
Hope you chilled the Duvel well - it's just about the only great ale best drunk cold rather than cellar temp.

kook said:
Heres some education material I bought back from Belgium on the weekend.
[post="62296"][/post]​
Envious of the Cantillon. What's the one in the bottom right though - I don't recognise the label?

Sean said:
Hope you chilled the Duvel well - it's just about the only great ale best drunk cold rather than cellar temp.
[post="62367"][/post]​
Certainly did.

Sean said:
Envious of the Cantillon. What's the one in the bottom right though - I don't recognise the label?
[post="62369"][/post]​

Grand Cru Bruocsella 1900 (2002 Vintage). It's the finest of their unblended lambic, aged for 3 years in the cask before bottling.

Sofar I've only tried two of the beers:

Lindemans Pecheresse
AR: 5/10, AP: 3/5, FL: 6/10, PA: 2/5, OV: 11/20 - 54/100
Orange with a white head. Mild tinned peach aroma. Sweet but balanced peache flavour, with a slight tart finish. Quite thin in mouthfeel. Refreshing though.

Fantome Hiver
AR: 8/10, AP: 4/5, FL: 8/10, PA: 5/5, OV: 17/20 - 84/100
Poured cloudy light gold, edging on brown. Heaps of yeast. Aroma is yeasty, spicy and sweet. Flavour is a wonderful balance of citrus, vanilla, fresh grains, spices and yeasty bread. Really easy drinking, wonderfully smooth. Great stuff!

Edit: FYI as requested below-
AR=Aroma
AP=Appearance
FL=Flavour
PA=Palate / Mouthfeel
OV=Overall Impression

kook said:
Sean said:
[post="62369"][/post]​

Grand Cru Bruocsella 1900 (2002 Vintage). It's the finest of their unblended lambic, aged for 3 years in the cask before bottling.
Thanks. I know the beer, but didn't I recognise the label.

Kook, can you elaborate on the acronyms for me please? I think I recognise a couple. AR=Aroma, FL=Flavour, OV=Overall?
I had the Abt / Quadrupel - Rochefort 10 (Belgium) tonight and what a suprise, this beer was! I was suprised at how sweet this was, as I was expecting completely different. I shouldn't of been suprised after having the Chiamy red. Quite a light aroma, with not much hop aroma. Taste, as i said before suprisingly sweet, but could taste the alcohol in it and lingered into the aftertaste. Not bad at all, but I think these were the dearest of all the beers, that I bought, so I don't expect to have them as often as some of the more reasonably priced beers. A good experience, none the less :beerbang:
Tonight I also had a break and then hit the Monteiths summer ale again, but this time i fitted some fresh lime into the bottles. 5 of these later and I more impressed with this beer, than the original tasting. The lime made a big difference. Knocked the ginger down a notch. I'm guessing after these beers are gone, I expect to never get to taste these again, so I am happy to have had the opportunity. :chug:

Sean said:
Purely an academic question, since I've no intention of drinking the stuff whatever the answer, but is Red Stripe sold here manufactured locally, imported from Bedford, or imported from Jamaca?

Likewise for Kingfisher (except for replacing Bedford & Jamaca with Faversham & India respectively)?
[post="62338"][/post]​

Red Strip imported here is from Jamaica.
Kingfisher - we were getting from India, now brewed under license by the Kiwis.

nonicman said:
Kook, that is impressive. Can't wait for the Belgium Beer Festival at the Grande Palace this Sept.

Hey Nonic, where is the Grand Palace? Please say it's somewhere near Kenmore.... :unsure:

Cheers - Snow.

Tried a Boag's honey porter last night and I think the review below was quite accurate. Not much hop aroma, even when warmed and a noticable honey flavour. It reminded me of the Blue Tongue Autumn ale that we had the other night for Ross' visit. Not a honey taste, but lacking hop aroma. My better half thought it was a little bit sweet for her and could not drink much of it.
boags_honey_porter.jpg
Newcastle weekender said:
Beer with Troughear

J.Boag & son
Honey Porter 5.5% Tasmania
U'S always good to see the established breweries putting out seasonal beers, so we can have something different every so often. This is the third edition of the Boag's Honey Porter and it seems to be as good as its predecessors. The (almost unreadable) back label says porter is a "mysterious and elusive" style of beer.
Probably, what they mean is that, porter was a varied beast in the early 1700s in England, when it was being developed. Then in the 1800s, when it became a massive industry in its own right, it was different again, because of new brewing techniques. Then it was overtaken by pale ales of various sorts and then it finally died out in England under the weight of World War I restrictions on coal use that prevented the extra roasting of the malt to make dark beer.
So the porters we have now are revivals of dead been that had a lot of variety. One of the many types of modem porter that has become a bit trendy is honey porter. Porter is generally rich, tasty and well hopped - a meal in a bottle - but Boag's Honey Porter goes a little easy on the hops and adds a smooth overlay of honey instead.
It goes down well enough and someone out for a fairly sweet beer that wasn't too sticky would like it. Good for a cool evening or some solid food I had a bottle with some Turkish pidda and it didn't cause any problems, even when I added a d0llop of hot chilli sauce. So it looks like a versatile beer. It was good on its own, too, and it went well with some dessert
Boag's beers are like that -versatile, without being overpowering - and this is one of their good beets. Not everyone will like the combination of sweetness with wide British bitterness at the finish, but there's a place for it, and since they didn't make very much of it, you're not likely to have the opportunity of getting sick of it. In general this is a - beer you will probably enjoy a couple of bottles at a time. It's got a quite nourishing feel about it.
Available: Mostly at Theo's outlets.
Typical prices: single $3.50; 6-pack $18; carton $60

-Tony Troughear
The Exotic Beer Club: [email protected]

Hey Macr,

Did you type that out or is there somewhere online to get the weekly Newy Herald beer reviews. I have looked but haven't found.

Borret :blink:

Latest posts

Back