My Education Into Beer Appreciation

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No worries Ross.

I just tried to convert it to jpeg and reduce it to a meg but it was crap, particularly if you wanted to print it. So I'll send the PDF, it's nearly 2meg though so I hope your account will accept it.

Cheers

Borret

Kook, thanx for the list. This will give me a starting point. Shame about Premium Lager being a Crown Lager. I will look for something better me thinks :ph34r:

Oh well I saved ross the hassle of downloading the extra 500k. Mine is probably a scan of the same doc but it's pdf so has held the resolution. Would love the coloured version but don't have it. But here's the previews of the website

Cheers

Borret
ptbeer_new.jpgptbeer_close.jpg

Borret said:
Oh well I saved ross the hassle of downloading the extra 500k. Mine is probably a scan of the same doc but it's pdf so has held the resolution. Would love the coloured version but don't have it. But here's the previews of the website
Where is the original held?

nonicman said:
Baltic Porter - Unsure of any available.
James Squire Porter

Impressive list, new mission in life, complete the list. :beer:
[post="61690"][/post]​

I wouldnt personally consider James Squire Porter to be a Baltic porter. It doesnt have the ABV, and certainly not the dried fruit / berry flavours that I've experienced with Baltic porters in the past.

If you keep a sharp lookout Zywiec Porter (Poland) has been available infrequently in Australia. Fits in the Baltic class (I guess) and is a pretty outstanding drop. At about 9% alcohol goes to the head pretty quickly as well. :super:

Only problem is I haven't spotted it for a couple of years. Bugger. :(

Warren -

macr said:
Borret said:
Where is the original held?
[post="61707"][/post]​

I was going to say the Louvre........ but no.

It's on the Mantis Design website as the bottom of the poster indicates.

Borret :blink:

I did read that on the images you attached, but I thought nah that doesn't sound right. I tried the Monteith's Summer Ale last night. With out going and quoting the whole blurb, here it is. Summer Ale It also tells the OG, FG, %ALC/Vol and I think the last one is the IBU.

My tasting opinion.
Aroma: Ginger maybe a bit of cloves
Taste: Very mild on the tongue, maybe this is the Rata honey, but felt warming.
After taste: Mild Ginger Beer.
Opinion: Not the kind of beer I would have often. I think they hit the nail on the head when they said it was a summer ale. I could imagine sitting at the Beaches hotel overlooking Merewether beach sipping this stuff whilst having alight lunch. I think there food choices would be right on the mark. Especially some Thai lime and coconut dish.

Kook, that's a great list - good effort!

I was talking with the guy at The Grape the other day and he said that Zywiec Porter (Baltic Porter) will be imported again if the other styles from Zywiec sell ok. He said they were selling, so fingers crossed!

As for Gueuze, isn't Zimmermans available here in Oz? I seem to remember getting one a few months ago. I'm pretty sure it was the straight gueuze and not a fruit variant. I got it from The Grape in Chapel Hill, Brisbane.

Cheers - Snow

I didnt know Zywiec Porter was available, I've found it hard to get over here! That said, I tried Koff Porter a few weeks back, very tasty.

Some of the Timmermans lambic range are available over there, I thought it was only the Kreik, Framboise, Cassis and Peche though. If the gueuze is available there then pick it up!

I'll update the list :)

Timmermans Gueuze was available at the Oxford Taven in Wollongong during the mid nineties, they had a great range of Belgiums no idea what the range is like now.

Macr
Pop down to corkers and grab yaself a Surefoot Stout from MOuntain Goat. I grabbed a bottle a few weeks ago at Beaumont St, after Mark and Kieth told me they had em in stock. Quite a nice drop, a little pricey, but definitely worth a try, as are the other Mountain Goat beers, but I liked the stout best
Trent

Ross said:
Borret - Would love a copy if you don't mind emailing it...
[post="61688"][/post]​

Hey Ross, if you like i can send you a hard copy via snail mail, just got a copy myself!

borret, the periodical table of beer is available online from allposters.com.au, and for all us s.a. boys it can be found at de sousa posters in the city?. costs between $9.00 to $13.00 depending where you get it.will be grabbing mine when in town on the long weekend. :super:

I will be getting a Mountain Goat Beer or two tomorrow, I will also purchase a beer periodic table as well. More testing of beer this Friday, as I am at work and don't get home to 1 and the missus will be ropable if she doesn't get to taste beers.

Macr,

Oh for a wife that could even stand the smell of beer. You wouldn't mind the fact that you have to share it with your fairer half if you knew what it was like to justify buying some different (expensive) beers to a wife who doesn't touch it with a stick and has no concept of why you would want to. Most of my palette expanding happens when the wife is on night duty.

Green with envy ;)

Borret :blink:

Might try and track down an original copy of the table too.

Well the missus was in bed when I got home and I knew that I had one beer, that she would not be interested in. Holgate Winter Ale
Holgate Brew House said:
Winter Ale/Mahogany & Malt -6.0% a/v

This old Dark Ale is a seasonal speciality in bottles during the cold months, but an all-year rounder at Holgatess pub via the Beer-engine as Mahogany & Malt. The abundance of burnt and crystal malts give this ale is characteristic colour and rich blend of toffee, chocolate and caramel flavours.
Aroma: This ale smells fairly sweet to me, but can't describe it. Maybe chocolaty
Taste: :chug: Very creamy. Not bitter
After taste: Hmm. Dark Roasted malt. Can't really define any of the characters described in the blurb, but I am new to this game.
Of note, this beer has a kick :party: and I am feeling it quite significantly. Also this beer produces a lot of thick creamy head. Like the whole glass. I normally pour very carefully to minimise this, but it still came up. I will take more care next time.
I really think I needed 2 or 3 to really appreciate this beer fully, so I may chase down a couple more.

macr said:
I really think I needed 2 or 3 to really appreciate this beer fully, so I may chase down a couple more.
[post="61882"][/post]​

:D It is always a good sign when you need '2 or 3 more' to really make sure you liked it! All purely for research of course...

Shawn.

Back