Quantcast

My Education Into Beer Appreciation

Aussie Home Brewer

Help Support Aussie Home Brewer:

macr

Well-Known Member
Joined
14/3/05
Messages
265
Reaction score
0
Well, I have put myself on a quest for knowledge. I admit that I am not the most knowledgeable person when it comes to beer, but I did have a couple of beers that I have enjoyed overtime, but now that I am getting into the home brewing scene, I may as well learn about all these beers, that you guys make. So from today onwards, I will try at least one to two new beers a week and see how they taste and if I would like to make a beer like it.
I started my tasting education, by a trip up to Kahibah Corkers in Newcastle. They have the biggest range of exotic beers in the Hunter, so they say. Now this shop has quite a few beers from O.S and Australia, which most of, I have never heard of. From this shop I grabbed a 6 pack of Monteith's Rata honey and spice flavoured Summer Ale, as I am partial to all the other Monteith's that I have tried(Namely, the Richly Hopped Ale, Golden Lager and the Black). Also I grabbed a Samuel Adams Boston Lager (As I have heard this brand mentioned on this forum a few times) and Holgate Winter Ale (This was the only Holgate beer, they had at the time). I asked them for a list of all the beers, they had, so I could post it to the forum, so if any one wants one, they would know one place that sold it, but the guy said, he will have to get the boss on to it, as a number of people have asked the same thing. Funnily enough, he also mentioned that a number of home brewers were after beers, that were fermented in the bottle like Chimay, so they could cultivate the yeast to make a Chimay of there own.
Next stop was Corkers in Hamilton on information from Weizguy. They had a good range of beers, but I feel that they did not have as much variety as Corkers Kahibah, none the less, some of their prices were a tad cheaper. From here, I think I collected the nearly the full compliment of Holgate beers (missing the Woodend Pilsner). I bought a White Ale, an Old Pale Ale and the Mt Macedon Ale. See the Holgate tasting notes. So now I need to refrigerate and taste. Unfortunately, my missus will want to try them all, so I am going to have to share :(, but hopefully this will be a good thing, as she may just get over mass produced Aussie beers.
The final stop today was the Liquor stop in Islington across from the TAFE. They didn't have too many foreign beers, but a couple were unique to their shop one Italian which I can't remember and one called Tumer Pils, which I didn't see where it is from. The good thing about this shop was that they had the full range of Matilda Bay Breweries beers and Coopers' Brewery, from what I could tell, so I will try some of the unique Coopers soon.
Now If you guys have any suggestion as to what I should desperately try, then give me a hoy on this thread. I may not be able to get them here, but if I can I will. Oh and I would be interested in your opinion on any beers that I try and information, that may help me describe the beers, that I am trying.
beer1.jpg
Here is a photo of the first lot of beers.
 

Ross

CraftBrewer
Joined
14/1/05
Messages
9,262
Reaction score
370
A good typical English style (nicely hopped) ale is Ruddles County & probably one of finest English ales (if not the finest) Timothy Taylor Landlord...
 

macr

Well-Known Member
Joined
14/3/05
Messages
265
Reaction score
0
Timothy Taylor sounded familiar. I did notice a Tetleys, tennents and a Tom Woods (IIRC) english beers, besides the normal ones like Boddingtons and Newccy brown etc. I will look. Oh and a Youngs Double choc (I think it was called).
 

sluggerdog

Beer In Here
Joined
12/10/04
Messages
1,865
Reaction score
26
Being a lover of pilsners I had been searching for about 6 months, budvar.

it was worth the search...

http://www.budvar.cz/

Something I recommend to try if you like pilsners..
 

Gough

Maintain the Rage!
Joined
12/5/03
Messages
1,370
Reaction score
2
Good stuff macr :beerbang: The boys at Kahibah are definitely the best around Newie in terms of range, and generally in terms of knowing what you are talking about. They are very keen to get in new beers and if you mention something they haven't got, they'll often try and hunt it down for you. It is a fair way from my place but worth the trip. Beaumont St is closer to me and 2nd best, but they don't have quite the same range. The guys at the Tighes Hill bottlo are my 'local' and have been trying to get more in of late. Basically Crownies were as adventurous as they used to get but in the last 6 months they've expanded the range a lot. I try and buy from them a bit to help encourage more stock. They are nice blokes that run it. (No affiliation, blah, blah...)

As for what to try, mate the beer world is your oyster! There are a few tasting clubs around the place - I'm in one that is pretty informal and we've tasted some good beers. Maybe try 2 bottles from a different style/region each week and keep notes. Depends how keen you are. Just an obvious tip. Especially when buying the expensive pint sized bottles of the Pommy ales like Fullers ESB/London Pride etc, always go for the freshest stock you can find because they tend to deteriorate reasonably quickly in my experience. Excellent beer, but it sucks to pay $9 for one and have it be well past its prime. The same goes for most beers, but the Pommy Ales especially in my experience.

Good luck,

Shawn.
 

warrenlw63

Just a Hoe
Joined
4/5/04
Messages
7,202
Reaction score
11
Gough said:
Especially when buying the expensive pint sized bottles of the Pommy ales like Fullers ESB/London Pride etc, always go for the freshest stock you can find because they tend to deteriorate reasonably quickly in my experience. Excellent beer, but it sucks to pay $9 for one and have it be well past its prime. The same goes for most beers, but the Pommy Ales especially in my experience.

Good luck,

Shawn.
[post="61626"][/post]​

Shawn, you "Geordies Of Oz" need a Dan Murphys. Might not have a great range but the range they have is always very fresh because of the high turnover. :beerbang:

Pity their prices don't justify it though. :(

Warren -
 

macr

Well-Known Member
Joined
14/3/05
Messages
265
Reaction score
0
Gough said:
Good stuff macr :beerbang: The boys at Kahibah are definitely the best around Newie in terms of range, and generally in terms of knowing what you are talking about. They are very keen to get in new beers and if you mention something they haven't got, they'll often try and hunt it down for you. It is a fair way from my place but worth the trip. Beaumont St is closer to me and 2nd best, but they don't have quite the same range. The guys at the Tighes Hill bottlo are my 'local' and have been trying to get more in of late. Basically Crownies were as adventurous as they used to get but in the last 6 months they've expanded the range a lot. I try and buy from them a bit to help encourage more stock. They are nice blokes that run it. (No affiliation, blah, blah...)
Good luck,

Shawn.
I would say that Tighes hill {Typo}, which I incorrectly noted as Islington :eek: is my closest as well. I live in Mayfield, just bought a house there actually. Then Beaumont then Kahibah. I will try to keep notes, but we all know that this is a subjective subject. What I may like, you hate. Mark's is the Homebrew shop of choice for me, but I have bought from the other guy in Mayfield. Back on topic. I have already tried 6 Belgium beers and A french (3 Monts). A couple of the Belgiums, I was not so keen on, but the others I would by again. One was Bierre Buccaneir (SP?) and one of the Leffe beers. Unfortunately I did not write them down, so I will start again, but this time on a spreadsheet.
 

Gough

Maintain the Rage!
Joined
12/5/03
Messages
1,370
Reaction score
2
warrenlw63 said:
Gough said:
Especially when buying the expensive pint sized bottles of the Pommy ales like Fullers ESB/London Pride etc, always go for the freshest stock you can find because they tend to deteriorate reasonably quickly in my experience. Excellent beer, but it sucks to pay $9 for one and have it be well past its prime. The same goes for most beers, but the Pommy Ales especially in my experience.

Good luck,

Shawn.
[post="61626"][/post]​

Shawn, you "Geordies Of Oz" need a Dan Murphys. Might not have a great range but the range they have is always very fresh because of the high turnover. :beerbang:

Pity their prices don't justify it though. :(

Warren -
[post="61629"][/post]​
We've got one about 30 kms away in Maitland, but I'm on an anti Coles/Woolies kick so try and support the indie shops. Their prices seem very cheap though. I know a bloke that was getting the big bottles of Kozel from Dan Murphy's for $3 a hit which was more than a dollar a bottle cheaper than I could get it at other shops. Maybe if it was closer I'd weaken :D

Shawn.
 

macr

Well-Known Member
Joined
14/3/05
Messages
265
Reaction score
0
warrenlw63 said:
Shawn, you "Geordies Of Oz" need a Dan Murphys. Might not have a great range but the range they have is always very fresh because of the high turnover. :beerbang:

Pity their prices don't justify it though. :(

Warren -
We have Dan Murphy's but it is out at Maitland, which is half an hour away and some Novos, refuse to travel that far. Mind you I haven't gone and had a look at their range yet and I was out at Maitland twice on the weekend for the 4WD and Camping show <_< , but will try to remember to take a look at their range next time I'm there.
 

Gough

Maintain the Rage!
Joined
12/5/03
Messages
1,370
Reaction score
2
I would say that Tighes high, which I incorrectly noted as Islington :eek: is my closest as well. I live in Mayfield, just bought a house there actually. Then Beaumont then Kahibah. I will try to keep notes, but we all know that this is a subjective subject. What I may like, you hate. Mark's is the Homebrew shop of choice for me, but I have bought from the other guy in Mayfield. Back on topic. I have already tried 6 Belgium beers and A french (3 Monts). A couple of the Belgiums, I was not so keen on, but the others I would by again. One was Bierre Buccaneir (SP?) and one of the Leffe beers. Unfortunately I did not write them down, so I will start again, but this time on a spreadsheet.
[post="61630"][/post]​
[/quote]


I'm in Wickham so just around the corner. Might bump into you at Mark's sometime. Maybe we can share some brews?

Good luck,

Shawn.
 

RobW

The Little Abbotsford Craftbrewery
Joined
6/8/03
Messages
1,679
Reaction score
109
macr said:
......... Unfortunately, my missus will want to try them all, so I am going to have to share :(, but hopefully this will be a good thing, as she may just get over mass produced Aussie beers.
[post="61616"][/post]​
Macr that is a good thing! Never underestimate the pluses of having a missus that enjoys a beer. Get into it & enjoy yourself.
 

KoNG

RIP-FaB (BiBIFaP)
Joined
21/1/05
Messages
1,615
Reaction score
2
another worth a look at is www.worldbeers.com.au (northmead cellars)
their online store is down at the moment for refurb.... but they do delivery and have a huge range. they could probably fax you a mail order form etc.
 

warrenlw63

Just a Hoe
Joined
4/5/04
Messages
7,202
Reaction score
11
Gough said:
I know a bloke that was getting the big bottles of Kozel from Dan Murphy's for $3 a hit which was more than a dollar a bottle cheaper than I could get it at other shops. Maybe if it was closer I'd weaken :D

Shawn.
[post="61631"][/post]​
Now there's a "Goat" I like. :party:

Warren -
 

kook

Well-Known Member
Joined
8/12/02
Messages
2,358
Reaction score
4
These are some I'd recommend as introductions to a wider range of beer. I'll keep it to beers I know you can get back home.

Abbey Dubbel - Chimay Red (Belgium)
Abbey Tripel - Tripel Karmeliet (Belgium)
Abt / Quadrupel - Rochefort 10 (Belgium)
Altbier - Bug Ocean Alt (WA, Aus)
Amber Ale - Rogers (WA, Aus)
American Pale Ale - Little Creatures Pale Ale (WA, Aus)
American Strong Ale - Unsure of any available.
Baltic Porter - Zywiec Porter (Poland)
Barley Wine - Grand Ridge Supershine (VIC, Aus)
Belgian Ale - Orval (Belgium)
Belgian Strong Ale (Dark) - Abbay Des Rocs Brune (Belgium)
Belgian Strong Ale (Golden) - Duvel (Belgium)
Belgian Witbier - Hoegaarden White (Belgium)
Berliner Weisse - Unsure of any available.
Biere de Garde - 3 Monts (France)
Bitter - Timothy Taylors Landlord (UK)
Bock - Hansa Urbock (Namibia)
Bohemian Pilsner - Pilsner Urquell (Czech Republic)
Brown Ale - Newcastle Brown Ale (UK)
California Common - Unsure of any available.
Cream Ale - Unsure of any avialable.
Dopplebock - Weihenstephaner Korbinian (Germany)
Dortmunder / Helles - Lowenbrau Original (Germany)
Dry Stout - O'Haras Celtic Stout (Ireland)
Dunkel - Matilda Bay Dogbolter (WA, Aus)
Dunkelweizen - Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier Dunkel (Germany)
Eisbock - Schneider Aventinus Weizen Eisbock (Germany)
English Strong Ale - Fullers 1845 (UK)
ESB / Premium Bitter - Fullers ESB (UK)
European Strong Lager - Carlsberg Special Brew (UK)
Faro - Unsure of any available.
Flemish Sour Ale - Rodenbach (Belgium)
Foreign Extra Stout - Coopers Best Extra Stout (SA, Aus)
Fruit Lambic - Belle-Vue Kriek (Belgium)
German Hefeweizen - Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier (Germany)
German Kristalweizen - Weihenstephaner Kristallweissbier (Germany)
Golden Ale / Blond Ale - Fullers Honey Dew (UK)
Gueuze - Timmermans Tradition Gueuze Lambic (Belgium)
Imperial Stout - Samuels Smiths Imperial Stout (UK)
Imperial IPA - Unsure of any available.
IPA (English) - Caledonian Deuchars IPA (UK)
IPA (USA) - Unsure of any available.
IIPA / Double IPA - Unsure of any available.
Irish Ale - Kilkenny (AUS - contract brewed)
Kolsch - Unsure of any available.
Malt Liquor - Carlsberg Elephant Beer (Denmark)
Mild - I do not know of an acceptable representation of a mild available in AU.
Oktoberfest / Marzen - Hofbrau Munchen Oktoberfestbier (Germany)
Old Ale - Green King Strong Suffolk (UK)
Pale Lager - Victoria Bitter (NSW, Aus)
Pilsener - James Squire Pilsner (NSW, Aus)
Porter - Samuel Smiths Taddy Porter (UK)
Premium Lager - Crown Lager (NSW, Aus)
Saison - Saison Regal (Belgium)
Schwarzbier - Berliner Burgerbrau Bernauer Schwarzbier (Germany)
Scotch Ale - Mc Chouffe (Belgium)
Smoked / Rauchbier - Spezial Rauchbier Lager (Germany)
Sweet Stout - Samuel Smiths Oatmeal Stout (UK)
Unblended Lambic - Unsure of any available.
Vienna - Dos Equis XX Amber (Mexico)
Weizen Bock - Schneider Aventinus (Germany)

Gives you somewhere to start anyway ;)
 

homebrewworld.com

Well-Known Member
Joined
26/3/05
Messages
493
Reaction score
0
Kook...........
Nice list man. i think i will copy that list and stick it in my wallet, and when i get to the bootle shop wip it out .
I always get to the b.shop and think.....ok what the hell do i want?
Then stare at fridges for half an hour........
:beerbang:
 

kook

Well-Known Member
Joined
8/12/02
Messages
2,358
Reaction score
4
Some of them aren't very good beers, but all of them are "acceptable" representations of the particular beer style listed.
 

sluggerdog

Beer In Here
Joined
12/10/04
Messages
1,865
Reaction score
26
homebrewworld.com said:
Kook...........
Nice list man. i think i will copy that list and stick it in my wallet, and when i get to the bootle shop wip it out .
I always get to the b.shop and think.....ok what the hell do i want?
Then stare at fridges for half an hour........
:beerbang:
[post="61667"][/post]​

Sounds just like me, then I look around at the bottle shop and there is usually a few other guys doing the same...
 

Borret

Crazy Eye's Brewery
Joined
15/2/05
Messages
838
Reaction score
0
I must add one of my fav's too as an Oktoberfest alternative. Edelweisse by schneider. Wheat oktoberfest. Fantastic.
Forbidden fruit is also very tasty.
For a comprehensive cross section of styles you could refer to the Periodic Table of Beer. It's great. I have a hard and soft copy but it's a largish file (prints A0) It outlines 95% of beer styles and contains information on colour (SRM), final and original gravity range, Alchohol (ABV) Bitternes (IBU), family and yeast type(lager v's ale). It also lists a description on each style (flavour aroma and bitterness) and a few commercial examples of each. A great one for the brewroom too. I may be able to condense it down a touch if anyone want's it. Doubt it will fold up to fit in your wallet though. Might need to upgrade to a man bag!

Happy sampling,

Borret :blink:
 

Ross

CraftBrewer
Joined
14/1/05
Messages
9,262
Reaction score
370
Borret - Would love a copy if you don't mind emailing it...
 

Latest posts

Top