My Education Into Beer Appreciation

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I scanned and OCR'd it. And wasn't that a pain. It took me about 12 goes as the OCR program died at the last word every time. Having some issues with XP.

Two more beers tried. Being a Monteiths fan I was pleased to see Hamilton Corkers had got in some Celtic. Read all details on the Celtic, here. I also grabbed a bottle of Schofferhofer Kristalweizen, as I didn't have much folding on me at the time. I was keen to grab a Hobgoblin, but at $9 it can wait to another week.
First the Celtic. As the description goes, it is reasonably low on the bitterness (17 by the blurb) to allow the malt show through. This I felt was quite accurate. To me there was hardly any hop flavour or aroma, but a sweet malt aroma. I thought the second one tasted a tad better, as my palate was getting used to it, but would say that I would not buy a carton of this stuff, but would try it again if I could get it on tap.
The Kristalweizen was an instant hit with the missus and I think that was a lot to do with the fruity aroma and flavours, which if I am not mistaken is a character of wheat beer and the yeast that they use. The head stayed around for quite a while and was fairly creamy. I made sure I checked the use by before I bought this beer and I think that it travelled well. It was only $3.90 a bottle and would willingly buy more especially seeing as it was a 500mL bottle. Mind you I lost half to the missus, but an exceptable loss :party:. Now to scout out what will be my next beer :ph34r:
beer3.jpg

Schofferhofer is exceptionally good value for a German Weissebier, though I much prefer the hefeweissen to the kristal. It's a shame it comes in lightweight bottles though - not as nice to reuse.

Speaking of wheat beers, found some Blanche De Chambly from Unibroue Brewery in Quebec in the local IGA bottleshop last week! Interesting imported beers are as rare as hens teeth around here, so bought a six pack despite the high price. Well worth it - a superb Belgian style Wit. Tried cultivating the yeast, which seemed to get going, but then got cold overnight and gave up the ghost.

I was tossing up which one to get, but will try the Heffeweizen next time to compare or maybe I should buy both as this will make a fairer comparison :chug:

macr said:
I was tossing up which one to get, but will try the Heffeweizen next time to compare or maybe I should buy both as this will make a fairer comparison :chug:
[post="65913"][/post]​
Get both together, then you can closely compare the difference between a hefe and a kristal.

Gidday Sean, Have to agree about the Schofferhofer - it seems to travel better than most Weizens. My favourite (and staple when my own is not on tap) is the hefe. Its $82.00 a slab here which isnt too bad for 12ltrs.

Heading to Munchen again in September for Drinktec 2005 so will be able to re-calibrate the taste buds again.

Wes

Had it in Edinburgh in 2001.

My memories of it are dim, it was a heavy beastie though I remember that much.

Would love to try it again now that I have a better understanding of beer styles.

C&B
TDA

sinkas said:
Anyone Had this Orkney storngale? "Skull splitter"?

On cask a couple times, heres my notes:

Orkney Skullsplitter - 74/100
AR: 7/10, AP: 3/5, FL: 8/10, PA: 4/5, OV: 15/20
Port like aroma, suprisingly vineous with alcohol showing too. Amber with a small pump head. Sweet port, molasses and malts. Medium feel. Warming and tasty.

sinkas said:
Anyone Had this Orkney storngale? "Skull splitter"?

http://home.planet.nl/~meind154/Verz/overig/grbritain25.htm
[post="67679"][/post]​
Beautiful stuff on cask (but you can say that about virtually all of Orkney Brewery's beers). One of the few British high strength beers that's not horribly cloying, it's dangerously moreish for an 8% beer.

I don't know how the bottles shape up.

wessmith said:
Heading to Munchen again in September for Drinktec 2005 so will be able to re-calibrate the taste buds again.

Wes
[post="65927"][/post]​

You know we will expect a full report again this year Wes, if nothing else but to make us insanely jealous and provide list of places/beers to look out for whenever we make it up there.
Have a great trip.

Beers,
Doc

Just a couple I had on the weekend in my own beer appreciation quest.
The two on the left had swimsuits on the labels made from the same stuff they put on the instant scratchies. i.e. you can if you want scratch them off and seeing how I had taken there swimmers off I put some modesty patches on the photo. :p

beer.jpg

You'd be off your its after a few of those Swimsuit beers :)

What is that beer Offline?

C&B
TDA

That would be Rubbel Sexy Lager.

Tastes horrible, great bottle though :)

Been a bit busy lately with house renos, so haven't had time or the money to splurge on some nice beers to try, but hopefully I will shortly. So fear not, I will be back with more personal reviews shortly. Ohand I have just bottled a Newccy broon clone on the weekend, so I can't wait to try that! :chug:

Well I was up a Kahibah when I accidentally fell into Corkers. Next thing I knew I was outside with a few beverages to try.
Reissdorf, Kolsch
Hobgoblin, Strong Dark Ale
St. Paul, Special
St. Paul, Triple
De Verbodden Vrucht, Le Fruit Defendu

So which should I try first?

beer4.jpg

I'd go the Reissdorf up first.
How were they on the expiry dates ? Last time I went there a lot of the beers were out of date.

Beers,
Doc

I'd go the Reissdorf up first.
How were they on the expiry dates ? Last time I went there a lot of the beers were out of date.
Beers,
Doc
Hmm 27/04/06, out of date how unusual :angry:. Oh and the 2 St. Pauls were on special at $3.49 each :D :beer:! $30 all up

Kolsch has a nice fruity aroma with hints of malt. Colour is very pale, like a lager. Very light taste with low bitterness and an after taste of malt. I would say that it is a good summer beer. :chug: My missus seems to like it as well.

Latest posts

Back