My brew controller box

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bloody!

IMG_1244_zpsd732ed47.jpg

Spent some time today running the cables for the elements on the brew rig. Annoying fiddly stuff. I need to take it back to work so the guys can finish the internals off, hope to have it up and running mid Feb.

Controllers are Omron E5GN's. Relays are Omron too. The switchgear is a mish mash of stuff, but mostly Sprecher & Schuh. The bloody manual for the controllers is 75 pages long. Everything else is industrial grade stuff and to me looks like an orgy of octopi.

Looks like everyone's box is coming along nicely!

Mine is coming along real good:

To qualify - I am an electrician and sorting out wiring n components before installing into a proper panel :)

image.jpg

Ditchnbeer said:

To qualify - I am an electrician and sorting out wiring n components before installing into a proper panel :)
Best looking box I have seen! Well done and without a metal enclosure you won't even need to earth it... :)

Close to Done..................... is any brewing project ever done???

IMAG1083.jpg

Alarms and isolating switches added.

Screwy

Ditchnbeer said:

bandido?

Screwtop said:
Close to Done..................... is any brewing project ever done???

attachicon.gif
IMAG1083.jpg

Alarms and isolating switches added.

Screwy

Looking great, have you fired it up for a test yet?, when is the maiden run?

QldKev said:
Looking great, have you fired it up for a test yet?, when is the maiden run?
Done Kev,

Went so well I mowed the lawn and did some gardening while it was doing it's thing. Still a few changes required to programming but happy. Thanks for the help!

Screwy

One those big yellow ones...

mattyl said:
Putting my own box together now. Just wondering if there is a reason nobody uses illuminated switches such as http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_from=R40&_nkw=illuminated+selector+switch&_sop=15. (Sorry, dont know how to name the link). It seems if you had one of these you would only have to drill one hole and save a bit of wiring. Is it just aesthetics or is there a practical reason. Just curious
Thanks
Matt
With this selector switch with a light, the light will be on all the time, with the pilot light and switch you can allow it to turn on and off when the PID turns the element on and off..This way you can visually see when the element has power.. personally preference I guess.

-Gav

gava said:
With this selector switch with a light, the light will be on all the time, with the pilot light and switch you can allow it to turn on and off when the PID turns the element on and off..This way you can visually see when the element has power.. personally preference I guess.

-Gav
While that's true to some respect, the terminals for the light are separate to those of the switch, thus you *could* wire it up the way you indicate.

Edak said:
While that's true to some respect, the terminals for the light are separate to those of the switch, thus you *could* wire it up the way you indicate.
Oh yup.... for some reason I thought it was activated via the power going through it.. so yes you could use this.. personally I'd have Pilot lights.. the only time I can see it not really being great is like my case I have a 3 position selector switch which activates the HLT or the BK element.. with the Pilot light I can see when the HLT or BK light flashes i know which one is activated... with the light in the switch you'd only see the light blinking on the switch.. not a deal breaker at all just the only difference I see.. I have a window through to my brew room so I often walk past to see whats going on..So from a far visuals is good for me..

-Gav

gava said:
Oh yup.... for some reason I thought it was activated via the power going through it.. so yes you could use this.. personally I'd have Pilot lights.. the only time I can see it not really being great is like my case I have a 3 position selector switch which activates the HLT or the BK element.. with the Pilot light I can see when the HLT or BK light flashes i know which one is activated... with the light in the switch you'd only see the light blinking on the switch.. not a deal breaker at all just the only difference I see.. I have a window through to my brew room so I often walk past to see whats going on..So from a far visuals is good for me..

-Gav
Now you're really showing off!

mattyl said:
Putting my own box together now. Just wondering if there is a reason nobody uses illuminated switches such as http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_from=R40&_nkw=illuminated+selector+switch&_sop=15. (Sorry, dont know how to name the link). It seems if you had one of these you would only have to drill one hole and save a bit of wiring. Is it just aesthetics or is there a practical reason. Just curious.
Thanks
Matt
With mine, I wanted a double indicator of which element is on at any one time. I only have 10 amp outlets and two circuits, so I can have the HLT on whenever, but the HX or kettle can only be on separately. Well, that and the fact I couldn't find enough illuminated switches to do the job. The pumps are all started by illuminated push button switches though.

Finally got around to buying the SS enclosure, for my own build, from the local bargain center. I'd be planning to buy one for months now but wasn't too worried as he had 200 of them.
Then yesterday I mentioned them to MartinOC who was popping in there and he mentioned they only had one left. Rushed up this morning and grabbed the last one (thanks Martin!).
I'd expected to pay around $100 for it and the owner mentioned he'd sold them all online for up to $140. "For you, $50." he said. Score! Unfortunately he didn't have the right size mounting board for it and the one he gave me was a bit heavy for the job but it won't be too hard to knock one up.
I'd expected them to be pretty basic units but to my surprise found they had mounting points for the board, door earth peg and weatherseals. The thing weighs a tonne and is probably a bit big for what I had planned but it's SHINY. Not looking forward to cutting holes though.
20140309_110524.jpg 20140309_110608.jpg 20140309_110531.jpg

Knowing that I saved $50 I had a bit of a wander around the yard and stumbled on this:
20140309_104631.jpg

"For you, $20" Score!
Currently soaking it with PBW to remove all the old wine stains. Lots of scratches on the outside but the insides looked good.
20140309_110705.jpg

Anyway, just needed to share my win as SWMBO just doesn't get it.

Back