My brew controller box

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have either of you wired up your alarms yet ?
Looking at the auber instructions I can't see that you can turn off an alarm by just pushing a button on the pid. Was planning on having an alarm for reaching : strike temp, mashout and start of boil by setting the high temp alarm.
I noticed in the lectric brewery they have a switch for the alarm. Don't really want to go down that route.
Am i missing something obvious

cheers

I haven't gotten around to wiring them up yet. But yes you will need to either include a switch to mute it, or using the Auber jump manually to the next step, which is setup to turn off the alarm.

I've wired mine up. (Kevs just a slack arse, about time I beat him at something :D )

alarmlights.jpg

For the Auber pid Ive got it programmed so I can jump to the next step to kill the alarm like Kev said. But with my sestos I will have to put a switch in to shut it down.

Edak said:
Kev did you try the schematic that I gave to you yet? Was it too complex?
No problems following it, I've just put the alarm on hold for now as I've got a couple of other projects happening. I also want to get a couple of brews under my belt with the controller to ensure how I want them setup, but I only brew on the big boy once a month. Hopefully in about a month or so I should have a play with the alarm.

Getting ready for the second brew on my 3V using my new control panel this weekend. Today I got a chance to replace my crappy label maker stickers with a set breakbeer has made me.

Old stickers
stickers_old_zps696e3fa4.jpg

New Stickers
stickers_new_zpse744f43b.jpg

Stickers on the sides
stickers_3d_zps5e6d4e25.jpg

I think it looks a lot more professional with the newer stickers, thanks breakbeer!

No affiliation with breakbeer, just very happy with my stickers. When I received my package I even got a bonus of a couple different "QldKev Brewing" stickers with different fonts to choose from.

QldKev

Most certainly looks the part Kev you and Truman have done an awesome job documenting these builds. great Job!

I'm copying yo'll build! Probably not as far as the pid's just yet but gonna use the enclosure and maybe fit some later on down the track :)

These are just awesome. Great work guys. What a great project to do.

How are they working now after a few brews with them? Anything you would change?

Cheers.

marksy said:
These are just awesome. Great work guys. What a great project to do.

How are they working now after a few brews with them? Anything you would change?

Cheers.

Mine is still going great guns.
I would prefer something easier than the Auber programmable pid to setup, But the day to day usage I'm getting use too.
I don't think much of the hammer tone paint from Bunnings, it chips easily and smudges when cleaning it.
I've also started adding the alarms I mentioned prior. I've also added a mute switch for them.
I really love being able to switch between elements as needed.

The HLT will let me know when the strike water is ready.
The mash will let me know when mashout has been reached and also when the 5min batch sparge is completed.
The Kettle will let me know at 98c to pre-warn me about boil overs.

alarms_zpsda5649ea.jpg

I'm still waiting on evil bay for the bottom switch and alarm. I was originally going to leave the HLT out, but thought it would look neater with all of them.

Like Kev Im happy with mine but I added alarms and haven't added the switch to kill them yet so its a PITA.

But other than that its great to brew with.

nice project, if I want to build a same one, any tips which can save me a lot of time

huhjhcjh said:
nice project, if I want to build a same one, any tips which can save me a lot of time
Get someone else to do it for you :lol:

Just plan it all out. If you order the parts correctly and hit it hard most the wiring can be done in a good day.

This was a cool read.

I'm getting back into brewing after a few years of swigging down store bought swill, but this time I want to make the jump to all-grain. Reading interesting projects like this is certainly helping me decide how I want to brew and with what kind of setup ... I have been thinking gas, but in the last few days have been seeing great stuff (like this) about all electric setups.

Thanks for the inspiration guys!

QldKev said:
Get someone else to do it for you :lol:
very generous of you mate, PM me you address and I post my stuff up :)

Hey qldkev or truman or anyone else actually,
I finally got my alarms in the post today and want to wire them up. Can anyone clarify this for me please.
Join 1 and 14 neutral
1 to switch, switch to one side of alarm. Other side of alarm to neutral bus
13 to live
And thats it.
Im hoping this way one alarm will be good for both al1 and al2

I think this is figure 8 on the manual. Im just unsure of what side the switch should go. Im sure thats right though.

Cheers
Macca

Edit: and they are 240v alarms right. I did buy 12v and 240v just incase

I would like some info on this too Kev and Truman. What do the alarms indicate and would you mind posting a link to the parts?

Cheers,

Screwy

Screwtop said:
I would like some info on this too Kev and Truman. What do the alarms indicate and would you mind posting a link to the parts?

Cheers,

Screwy

HLT
I use it to let me know when I hit strike temp. So that way if I have wondered off and gotten sidetracked it lets me know it's ready.

MASH - using auber programmable pid
It lets me know when the main mash run is completed (mash out), so I can go and transfer my wort to the kettle
It lets me know when the sparge run is completed, so I can go and transfer my wort to the kettle
Also if the temperature should vary by more than 2c from the set point it will alarm.
With the auber I have 55,62,72 and 77c steps programmed in, with a 1c per 1min ramp rate. If during the ramp if it should lag by more 2c then it will alarm*.
* This is more an issue on my 112L batches, as the HLT needs me to run a second element to get the 70L of sparge water from tap to 77c within the mash time. I run both a RIMS and HERMS for the mash, but both are only needed during the ramping. So once the 62c temperature is stable, I switch the power from the RIMS back to the 2nd HLT element. If I've forgotten about it and it starts to ramp to 72c, it won't keep up and the alarm lets me know to go and switch the power back to the RIMS.

KETTLE
I use it to let me know just before I hit the boil, so I can go and watch it boil over onto my floor.

Alarm
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/110943667649?

Mute Switch
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1-N-O-NO-1-N-C-NC-2-Position-Rotary-Select-Selector-Switch-Latching-22mm-7-8-/360545067944

Back