My brew controller box

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great looking build.

What are the 5 position switches for? I'd have thought they'd all just be off/on? Or perhaps off/PID/override?

pedleyr said:
Great looking build.

What are the 5 position switches for? I'd have thought they'd all just be off/on? Or perhaps off/PID/override?
look at photo on page 1

pedleyr said:
Great looking build.

The switch positions are
Switch 1.
0-Off
1. HLT1
2.Kettle1
3. Off (Spare)
4.Off(spare)

Switch 2.
1. HLT2
2. Herms
3. Kettle2
4.Off

So you can switch down to turn of at EOB. But possibly use Position 3 or 4 for soemthing else if we decide to add later on. 4 on switch 2 could be a whirlpool pump if I decide to get one at a later stage.
The mian PID switch only powers the PIDS but the 5 position switches are used to switch power to each element as needed.

Truman, really looking great, I've been watching with interest. Thought I would share my thoughts on Switch one as it maybe useful to you or some one else.
Iwould have wired :
0-off
1- HTL1
2- off spare
3- kettle1
4- off spare

this just allows for panic situations, turn the switch once in either direction kills the circuit, no thinking required.

MastersBrewery said:
Truman, really looking great, I've been watching with interest. Thought I would share my thoughts on Switch one as it maybe useful to you or some one else.
Iwould have wired :
0-off
1- HTL1
2- off spare
3- kettle1
4- off spare

this just allows for panic situations, turn the switch once in either direction kills the circuit, no thinking required.
Thats a great idea, dont know why Kev didnt think of that..:).

Might be good to do it that way if your about to build one.

Finally received my Auberins Pid and as I suspected it wouldnt quite fit in the box. I was going to cut a hole out in the back but instead used an O ring to space it forward slightly. I will put some duct tape on the back of the box where the rear of the Pid sits so its insulated in case a stray wire touches the box.

I added some ali brackets to mount it to my brewstand and now just have to connect up the power supply cables. (Then learn how to program the pids)

BREWTROLLER.jpg

Here is where its home will be on my brew stand

BREWSTAND.jpg

Here is a rear view showing the XLR connectors for the probe sockets.

rearbrewcontroller.jpg

And finally here it is running. The mash Pid isn't connected yet as I only just realised the probe Kev sent me has a male XLR connector and so are my sockets. So I have a female connector I will have to solder on.

pids light.jpg

Looks good, but I think you may be mashing a bit too high :ph34r:

Got mine finished today
fini_zps15eff9bf.jpg

Should have switched the lights on for the pic. I prefer Truman's stickers to mine.

Both look awesome!

You have so many elements!

EDIT: Removed a stupid question from my post.

Logman said:
So when do we start the 'I want Truman and Kev's Controller' thread? :D
Now's as good a time as any.
Looks the goods fellas.............. :beerbang:

Can I make a minor suggestion? A big red Emergency stop button that's easy to hit, that cut's power to everything.

When things go wrong (god forbid) and there's reason to panic, it can be surprisingly hard to think logically, often people resort to grabbing a cable and ripping the plug out of the wall etc.... but a big red button that begs "Hit me". You don't need to think about it, just whack it.

Just in case there's a fluid leak onto a live connection, hose comes of the pump and sprays hot liquor etc.. Dog runs in and gets tangled in something. Giant flaming meteorites kill dozens every day!! Well..... maybe not.

Just a thought

Blackened said:
Can I make a minor suggestion? A big red Emergency stop button that's easy to hit, that cut's power to everything.

When things go wrong (god forbid) and there's reason to panic, it can be surprisingly hard to think logically, often people resort to grabbing a cable and ripping the plug out of the wall etc.... but a big red button that begs "Hit me". You don't need to think about it, just whack it.

Just in case there's a fluid leak onto a live connection, hose comes of the pump and sprays hot liquor etc.. Dog runs in and gets tangled in something. Giant flaming meteorites kill dozens every day!! Well..... maybe not.

Just a thought
I thought about adding one but I don't have the room on my box to mount it anywhere other than the back which would be out of the way in an emergency anyway. Even though there looks like room at the bottom it's where the SSRs and heat sinks are.

I do have rcds mounted in there which will trip out if liquid is spilt on the box. If I can find one small enough that will fit on the front I may add it in.

Truman, where in Bunnings did you find the box? I've looked, but can't find anything similar. Mind you, I've not asked the staff, I'm not that desperate!

Fat ******* said:
Truman, where in Bunnings did you find the box? I've looked, but can't find anything similar. Mind you, I've not asked the staff, I'm not that desperate!
In the bathroom and shower section where they have bathroom vanity cupboards etc. they have a couple of different sized first aid cabinets.

Do you have the dimensions for the box Truman? I've seen a couple off SS cabinets that looked blingy but wanna know that a PID or heatsink will fit.
Apologies if it's already posted.

I can't recommend Rittal Enclosures enough. I have had many positive experiences creating RTU and electrical boxes using them. I generally used the rolled steel single door units:
http://www.rittal.com/products/katalog_frame.asp?ViewAt=1-27-64-217-131&Dom=com&lang=GB

If you can ever pick one up on eBay for cheap then you are laughing,

here's one that's $99 or best offer
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/RITTAL-AE-1380-500-Enclosure-380Hx380Wx210D-/161050410991?pt=AU_B_I_Electrical_Test_Equipment&hash=item257f5a3fef&_uhb=1

The distributor is over in tullamarine, you could do a bulk buy and get them really cheap if you wanted.

EDIT: NO AFFIL!

Back