My brew controller box

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's a nice solid cabinet, which for $130 (posted) is a decent price for it.

The Bunnings first aid cabinets are lighter duty (you may need to set a location on the Bunnings crappy site for the links to work)
$39 for 310 x 360 x 100mm
http://www.bunnings.com.au/products_product_sandleford-310-x-360-x-100mm-first-aid-box_P6100189.aspx?search=first+aid+cabinet&searchType=any&searchSubType=products

$59 for 310 x 450 x 150mm
http://www.bunnings.com.au/products_product_sandleford-310-x-450-x-150mm-first-aid-box_P6101363.aspx?search=first+aid+cabinet&searchType=any&searchSubType=products

Otherwise someone posted this one on ebay $53 (posted), 300 x 300 x 120mm
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/FIRST-AID-MEDICAL-CABINET-KIT-BOX-STEEL-LOCK-AND-KEY-SOLID-POWDER-COATED-/300920471240?pt=AU_Medical_Special_Needs&hash=item461041fec8

Thanks fellas, will have to pop down to the bargain centre and check out the dimensions and price on the cabinets I saw.

Truman said:
In the bathroom and shower section where they have bathroom vanity cupboards etc. they have a couple of different sized first aid cabinets.
Cheers mate. Couldn't see them last time I was there, now that it's going to be to wet to brew tomorrow, I might go back for another squizz.

The beauty of the Rittal cabinets is that they come with a nice solid steel (and removable) mounting plate so you can get your DIN rails in, and perform much of your wiring without having the walls in the way.

Camo6 said:
Thanks fellas, will have to pop down to the bargain centre and check out the dimensions and price on the cabinets I saw.
I only just managed to fit everything in mine so probably should have gone with the larger size that Kev brought.

Truman said:
I only just managed to fit everything in mine so probably should have gone with the larger size that Kev brought.
Dude, you have so gotta bring that along to the next BBC meeting.

Got my first run of the new control panel today

control_run_zpseee6827b.jpg

I'll be building an arm of the main frame to mount the control panel vertically later.

control_run2_zps8d2ca7e6.jpg

Looks the shit Kev. Damn it, I really thought I was going to beat you to first brew..lol

And I was here thinking I was top shit for wiring up my STC1000 today!

Definitely something for many of the rest of us to aspire to, really impressive (said as I look at strike water heating on my stove top for a 10 litre batch).

I know you've got an existing electric set up, so you've no doubt worked in your refinements here, but after 1 brew is there anything you want to do differently? I've decided to go electric once I get back from my holiday in September so I'm really interested in anything anyone who has experience in it has to say.

After the one brew all is good. My experience brewing with different setups before setting this one up is I started with BIAB using LPG burners for about 150 brews, then moved to 3V. My initial 3V had a stc controlling the HLT, stc controlling the RIMS, and kettle using NASA burners. Then I added in a HERMS also run from a stc to boost the ramp speeds, more litres means more watts needed. Then I swapped the HERMS over to us a pid. I also changed the kettle from LPG to elec to make it cooler and quieter in my carport when brewing which is great. Although the LPG was a lot quicker then my current 6,000w at getting the kettle to the boil, I don't have plans of going back to the LPG burners. I did look at more automation using an ardiuno setup, but decided I don't want too much automation as I enjoy my brew time. The control panel as it stands is not the final version, I will be adding alarms to let me know when the mash is nearing completion, and also when the kettle is nearing the boil. I've already got the alarms but wanted to get a few brews under my belt to work out how I want them setup.

Remember, my perfect controller may not be exactly what you want. I'm happy to discuss what I have done in detail, but ultimately how well it suits you is your choice.

edit: You have to love that kettle temperature. That's today in my carport, before any wort got to it. Just with the roller door down and the heat warming it up from the HLT and Mash tun, but with a reasonable distance between them. The HLT is the 140L pot on the right with dark blue insulation.

Cheers

QldKev

I understand completely what you mean when you say what is right for you isn't necessarily right for me, and I understand why you are careful to say that - many people might think it is a cookie cutter type deal where they can just copy and be set. I'm still in the planning stages, and to work out and implement a system that is right for me, I simply want to know everything I can about every system I come across that I am impressed with. I don't want to derail Truman's thread, but I've already decided that as a general proposition what is right for me right now is just a 3.6kw element put into my keggle and continuing to BIAB. Or maybe a 4kw - I'm not 100%, I have the capacity on the circuit I'll use for either (I actually have a 20 amp and a 30 amp circuit in my garage - I very strongly suspect that the former owner had an "alternative income stream" generated from the garage, because the power line prior to the meter has also been cut and patched, but that's another story) so will probably go for the 4kw for now. Can always add the 3.6kw in addition later.

I won't be getting a PID at first, I'll just do it manually ghetto style until I completely get my processes down, and also before I make that additional investment (both time and money, as you would clearly be well aware). The "end game", if that mythical beast does in fact exist, is a recirculating BIAB not dissimilar to your previous rig, in a ~100 litre SS pot, using the same Auber PID you use here, with either a pair of 3kw elements or just one 6kw.

I really appreciate the offer to discuss your set up in detail, and I do intend to take you up on it.

Happy brewing.

Edit: re: your edit. Am I seeing that correctly - the BK is almost 30 degrees degrees solely due to ambient heat +radiant heat from the HLT + MLT? What is the ambient?

Hey Kev I just noticed your fan has blue LEDs?

How come that wasn't on the parts list???

Weatherzone said 23c for back in town, here we have been averaging about 2c warmer than town, so at a guess 25c. I just checked and it's currently 22c in my carport, and 22.2c in my office at 9.25pm, so still not too bad. One day we will get a heater to keep nice and warm.

My 1V setup is closer to your one. I run a 1V BIAB, that has a false bottom and heating element under it. Works a treat. In this system I'm using a 50L pot pushing out 25L batches on just a 2,000w element. Start a thread on your plans, so we all can get in and give you ideas.

Truman said:
Hey Kev I just noticed your fan has blue LEDs?

How come that wasn't on the parts list???
It was a fan I had handy and it had to match, but what will happens when I get the red alarm lights hooked up, it may color clash :blink:

I was thinking of getting some of those neon under car lights the rice boys use and putting them inside, so when you open the door it's totally bling :eek:

QldKev said:
One day we will get a heater to keep nice and warm.
4 degrees here currently. So, no comment :D

Start a thread on your plans, so we all can get in and give you ideas.
I do intend to, but I've been reluctant, mainly because I'm not self centred enough to think anyone is really all that interested! But your suggestion has tipped me over, I'll do it tomorrow once I've cubed this brew.

Cheers

To make you feel warmer
temp1.jpg

In case I don't see the topic and respond, as I don't get many emails from this site anymore, feel free to pm me and wake me up

Best thing of all, I beat Truman to get a brew on our new controllers B)

pedleyr said:
I do intend to, but I've been reluctant, mainly because I'm not self centred enough to think anyone is really all that interested! But your suggestion has tipped me over, I'll do it tomorrow once I've cubed this brew.

Cheers
Of course were interested mate. That's what this sub forum is for. The sharing of projects and ideas. Your posts may help someone else do the same thing. So post away.

QldKev said:
Got my first run of the new control panel today

control_run_zpseee6827b.jpg

I'll be building an arm of the main frame to mount the control panel vertically later.

control_run2_zps8d2ca7e6.jpg
That looks fantastic Kev, no wonder I have a stint at your local power station since you fired it up. :lol:

What about a flat screen TV bracket to mount it to? It would allow a bit of movement.

Batz

Batz said:
That looks fantastic Kev, no wonder I have a stint at your local power station since you fired it up. :lol:

What about a flat screen TV bracket to mount it to? It would allow a bit of movement.

Batz

I thought about that, but Gregs has an idea of a long arm so the control panel can fold around the front of the rig out of the way for when not in use.

I'm even thinking of the round pole in a round pole trick, and if I mounted it to the side I could just swivel inwards over the top of the mash tun when finished.

control_arm.png

I could use the tv bracket to mount a lcd to the brew stand for real bling

Back