Move To All Grain For Thirty Bucks

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Isn't it great wehn we all get along :beer:
18327592.jpg

I've made a more printer friendly version of this because I wanted to read it while in the kitchen and didn't want to have my laptop near all that steam and liquids.

Big thanks to Nick for making this guide for all us K&Kers who are too scared to move on up to AG.

View attachment Swap_to_AG_HQ.pdf

Cheers, zoidbergmerc.

Man, this thread's got some persistence.

I'm about to do a "Full Strength, Full Stovetop Brew" (20L) with the same equipment for those who've done this sort of Mini Stovetop and want to see another version/approach to a full scale stovetop. It's basically high-gravity brewing, which suits Aussie Lagers.

I'll do a Carlton Clone because it's nice and simple, to go along with the other great guides on stovetop AG.

Wow didn't see PP's final reply until now.

It takes a big man to admit you're wrong IMO. Well done PP.

I'm about to do a "Full Strength, Full Stovetop Brew" (20L) with the same equipment for those who've done this sort of Mini Stovetop and want to see another version/approach to a full scale stovetop. It's basically high-gravity brewing, which suits Aussie Lagers.

I'll do a Carlton Clone because it's nice and simple, to go along with the other great guides on stovetop AG.

Dibs.

I've made a more printer friendly version of this because I wanted to read it while in the kitchen and didn't want to have my laptop near all that steam and liquids.

Big thanks to Nick for making this guide for all us K&Kers who are too scared to move on up to AG.

Yeah, thanks all you helpful (and wonderfully argumentative) brewers.
I am off to Spotlight, and really looking forward to some homecrafted stovetop beverages. I am over giving my money to Coopers etc for their kits.

Bum, if I pissed you off as well as helping some people learn to make beer from grain then, well, you know I'm just so happy I'm lost for words. :D :D

You get the Easter Bunny with the Pancake on its Head, Award of the Year.

bunny_pancake1.jpg

a month late - but that is the funniest thing I have seen for days.

Cheers, zoidbergmerc.

Man, this thread's got some persistence.

Hi Nick
where can I find the 20lt verison of of your brew method
Cheers Bob

That's almost enough to make me turn to All Grain.

Well, I would, but unfortunately I only have a red bucket.

Guess I'll have to stick to Extract for the time being.

Well, I would, but unfortunately I only have a red bucket.

I highly recommend you pop down to Bunnies and rectify this situation. Red buckets are Satan's containers and should never be used for clandestine brewing.

I highly recommend you pop down to Bunnies and rectify this situation. Red buckets are Satan's containers and should never be used for clandestine brewing.

Surely Drewcifer would disagree?

I like that this method says a swiss voile square. no need for any sewing if you dont have a seamstress wife or mother. not perfect but it makes the concept that little bit more accessible to Joe Citizen wanting to get into AG without fuss and without too many logistics.

Well done, good write up Nick

Bunnies with a pancake on its head ????

Does anyone know anywhere in Sydney where you can get decent sized pots for cheap? I've tried the Big W at Macq Park and Warringah Mall but with no luck.

Although the restaurant I used to work for is closing down soon, maybe Ill see if they want to sell their bit pots...

Not specifically sure about Sydney but if you have a good asian grocer nearby they may sell large stock pots at a very good price.

Not specifically sure about Sydney but if you have a good asian grocer nearby they may sell large stock pots at a very good price.

I think the limit to being able to hold a rolling boil on the bigger electric elements might be about 25L (with ~18L in it). That said, I haven't tried any bigger - you might be able to rolling boil 40L on a stovetop ... those big elements must be a kilowatt or two. Some maths geek could probably calculate how many watts are needed for the volume.

The 19L pots work beautifully if you can find one. Tried KMart?

Good idea, Ill have a look around.

I think the limit to being able to hold a rolling boil on the bigger electric elements might be about 25L (with ~18L in it). That said, I haven't tried any bigger - you might be able to rolling boil 40L on a stovetop ... those big elements must be a kilowatt or two. Some maths geek could probably calculate how many watts are needed for the volume.

The 19L pots work beautifully if you can find one. Tried KMart?
I'm on gas so not I'm terribly worried about that at this point, in fact I can't even get it turned low enough to simmer stuff!

Everytime I pass a Kmart or Big W pop in to look for stock pots and 100 can coolers. Haven't had any luck so far (although I think I need to head to bunnings for the cooler). Ill continue the search, I'd love to give this a go.

I got mine from asian grocer in Box Hill - like Manticle recommends. About $20 for a 15l pot if I remember. They had bigger Pots as well.

I got a 15.1 litre pot from kmart for $19. Worked a treat for a 9l batch.
However, am still on the look out for a bigger pot so I can make larger batches, so will have a look around china town. Good advice, thanks.

Back