Mosaic

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Never had lemon with Mosaic and I use it a bit in my house pale ale. Mosaic and Citra are made for each other.

Yob said:
lemon?

odd
Yep, possibly a lemon / grapefruit combo tartness. Reading back through the thread a lot have mentioned Citra as being similar. I get the same lemon / grapefruit tartness from Citra as well.

EDIT: Already answered. Carry on..

mckenry said:
Yep, possibly a lemon / grapefruit combo tartness. Reading back through the thread a lot have mentioned Citra as being similar. I get the same lemon / grapefruit tartness from Citra as well.
Interesting. Different people taste different things. Probably don't try Sorachi Ace though.

DJ_L3ThAL said:
Sorachi Ace would be excellent in a Corona
I did a corona kit brew for friends at new year, did a small flavour addition in a small boil and dry hopped with a bit. They all loved it.

mckenry said:
After getting all excited about my next (now last one made) Mosaic beer I am a little disappointed. The Lemon is overpowering in the hydro sample. Dry hopped with Mosaic and Cascade, prior to taste test... Here's hoping the lemon backs off a bit. Could be one of those kegs that lasts and lasts....
Update. The lemon disappeared! Just took a couple of days and no sign of it. Mosaic is back as one of my favorite girlfriends. Very happy with it again...

Same here, early on it was to fruit saladly (same with Citra) but settled down lovely.

If for any reason one wants to do a single-hop APA, Mosaic may well be the best choice. The bittering from early additions is smooth. The aromas and flavours are complex, strongest on the fruit side, and improve in cold-conditioning. In an AIPA you might want to toss in Simcoe or Centennial for some pine and bite.

I've made a few single-hopped mosaics over the years, which I've really loved.
Tasting the latest out of the fermentor here, 1 1/2 weeks from brewing, and it tastes like someone dropped a slice or two of lime in the glass.
I never really got lime before, more of passionfruit/blueberry. From the earlier posts it sounds like sour citrus drops out after a couple of weeks?
Here's hoping!
(Not that it's all that unpleasant, it's just not what I've been expecting from previous experience.)

Just for the record, the acidity/lime/citrus aspect has totally gone away in the last couple of weeks here and is tasting much more like I would have expected.
Fascinating, I don't recall any other hop changing so drastically post-fermentation.

I used some distilled "floral" hop oil along with Mosaic (only hop) in an AIPA. There was some crystal in the grist. Whatever happened changed the taste perception from what I'd gotten before with Mosaic alone. Fruit faded, and earthy, woody tastes came out.

Back