Experimental Hop Bulk Buy EOI

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BKBrews

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I just wanted to put the feelers out there to see if anyone would be interested in a group buy on a hop that sounds pretty interesting and is grown exclusively at a hop farm in the US.

I'm going to Canada in March and have been looking at Americna sites to see if I can get anything while over there. That's when I came across this.

------------------------------------------------------------
Details:

2015 HARVEST
Alpha Acid 9.4%
Code:
Dual-Purpose variety
Code:
Hops Direct, LLC and Puterbaugh Farms is excited to introduce a 
brand new and very unique hop of our very own.
Code:
Over the past few years we have nurtured and developed a 
NEW hop variety "Belma™"exclusively grown here  
at Puterbaugh Farms.
Code:
Dr. Shellhammer from OSU tested Belma™ and created 
a Pale Ale Malt.  He noted the following description: 
A very clean hop, with a very orange, slight grapefruit, 
tropical  pineapple, strawberry, and melon aroma.
Code:
As this is a very new variety, we welcome customer feedback 
and encourage you to write a review, below.
Code:
Grown exclusively at Puterbaugh Farms.
[SIZE=small]----------------------------------------------------------[/SIZE]

A 20kg box is $440 US and shipping to my address is $278.60 US (!!!). I have sent them an email to query this amount (as it was high for 1lb bags too), but I suspect its quick shipping to preserve the hops.

The landed cost will be just under $1000 AUD to my door. So basically, it's $50 per kg or $25 per 1/2 kg. If we could get 20 in QLD who can pick up that would be ideal, but let's see where this goes and we can see about shipping interstate from there. I personally don't have a vacuum sealer to re-portion the entire lot.

Let'er rip!

It's "very unique": not only is it the only thing of its kind, it's truly the only thing of its kind.

It's not just their own, it's their very own. Ultra-ownership.

I would definitely be interested but in the current heat, I don't think being posted to the ACT would do it any favours

Lyrebird_Cycles said:
It's "very unique": not only is it the only thing of its kind, it's truly the only thing of its kind.
So are you in or not? :p

Lyrebird_Cycles said:
So are you in or not? :p

BKBrews said:
A 20kg box is $440 US and shipping to my address is $278.60 US (!!!). I have sent them an email to query this amount (as it was high for 1lb bags too), but I suspect its quick shipping to preserve the hops.
I bring in boron fibre prepreg for my bikes from the only source in the world (Specialty Composites in the US), it has to be shipped in a freezer box. The shipping costs as much as the material and the material is about 6 times the price of carbon fibre.

Lyrebird_Cycles said:
I don't use American hops, never found one I liked.
That's why I'm offering you a new variety!

Haha all good mate.

Actually mate for $25 for a half kg for something new, I'm interested. I have family in QLD (mostly BrisVegas and Sunshine Coast) you could send it to them and I'll get them to send it on.

TLDR: Yes, I'm in.

Starting a list then:
1. BKBrews (0.5kg) Gold Coast
2. Lyrebird_Cycles (0.5kg) Shipping to Bris/SC
3. Zorco (TBA) Bris??
Total: 1kg

There's a chance it's packaged in 1lb lots, in which case there will be 44 packs of 450g. We'll work through that if we get the numbers.

Nattydstar said:
Hopefully it's not packaged as a 20kg brick!
That would be a pain in the ass, but is something I will work through with the supplier.

Starting a list then:
3. Zorco (TBA) Bris??
4. Nattydstar (1kg) Gold Coast
Total: 2kg

Starting a list then:
3. Zorco (0.5kg) Bris
4. Nattydstar (1kg) Gold Coast
Total: 2.5kg