Help Support Aussie Homebrewer by donating:

1. We have implemented the ability to gift someone a Supporting Membership now! When you access the Upgrade page there is now a 'Gift' button. Once you click that you can enter a username to gift an account Upgrade to. Great way to help support this forum plus give some kudos to anyone who has helped you.
    Dismiss Notice

Eureka hops

Discussion in 'Hop Descriptions' started by lewis.kitney, 6/7/17.

1. lewis.kitney

Ninkumpoop

Home Page:
    Posted 6/7/17
    Has anyone tried eureka hops?

Bit of info from:

http://www.hopslist.com/hops/dual-purpose-hops/eureka/

[​IMG]
    Navigation

Eureka

With similarities to Simcoe® and Summit™ hops, Eureka is a fairly new variety with very strong bittering qualities and a complex and robust flavor and aroma profile. It is said to impart flavors of citrus, resin, tropical and dark fruit along with aromas of grapefruit rind, citrus and tangerine. It is the progeny of varietals Apollo and Merkur.

Also Known As EXP #: 05256, Exp Pine Fruit
    Characteristics Falvors of citrus, peach and pine, aromas of stone fruit and mandarin
    Purpose Bittering & Aroma
    Alpha Acid Composition 18%-19%
    Beta Acid Composition 5%-6%
    Co-Humulone Composition 27%
    Country
    Cone Size
    Cone Density
    Seasonal Maturity
    Yield Amount
    Growth Rate
    Resistant to
    Susceptible to
    Storability
    East of Harvest
    Total Oil Composition 3.10 mL/100g
    Myrcene Oil Composition 43%
    Humulene Oil Composition 29.8%
    Caryophyllene Oil 0.2%
    Farnesene Oil
    Substitutes
    Style Guide Imperial India Pale Ale, India Pale Ale, American Ales, American Red, Saison

2. c3lls

Posted 13/7/17
    Have a pale with them fermenting currently, used these and crosby #4 as an 'experimental hop' brew. Took a sample last night and it had a very strong onion/garlic taste, which I believe is dimethyl trisulphide (DMTS) - http://www.flavoractiv.com/products/onion-beer-flavour-standard/. According to that page it's normally purged by CO2 during fermentation, which I'm hoping will happen because frankly it tastes like shit currently.

Googling the onion/garlic taste points almost exclusively to summit hops, so maybe that's what they mean by 'similarities to summit'

FWIW hop schedule was:

5 g Eureka (Experimental Pine Fruit) Pellet 17.6 Boil 60 min 10.41
    10 g Crosby Experimental Hop #4 Pellet 7.4 Boil 15 min 4.35
    5 g Eureka (Experimental Pine Fruit) Pellet 17.6 Boil 15 min 5.17
    20 g Crosby Experimental Hop #4 Pellet 7.4 Whirlpool at 75 °C 20 min 6.44
    10 g Eureka (Experimental Pine Fruit) Pellet 17.6 Whirlpool at 75 °C 20 min 7.65
    30 g Crosby Experimental Hop #4 Pellet 7.4 Dry Hop 3 days
    10 g Eureka (Experimental Pine Fruit) Pellet 17.6 Dry Hop 3 days

3. c3lls

Posted 13/7/17
    I'll try to remember to update this once it's ready.

4. c3lls

Posted 28/7/17
    Alrighty, it's still a bit green, but the onion/garlic flavor has mellowed out reasonably. It's still there, but it kind of blends into a 'dankiness' if you will... It's not too bad, I think the Crosby #4 are underwhelming/not a great pair for this hop. Overall it's just a bit of dank-ass pale ale. Oh and pine is present, it's just not being balanced I think...

I don't have an awesome palette (and I've had a couple of beers already), but I do get that resiny characteristic, dark fruits not wrong, not much citrus if any. If I brew with this again, which I probably will as I still have a fair chunk, I'd probably limit it to a single late addition at around 10g and pair it with with something like citra/cascade/mosaic.

5. lewis.kitney

Ninkumpoop

Home Page:
    Posted 1/8/17
    I've got a red ipa with Eureka fermenting at the moment. I'll have to report back in a few weeks when it's ready to drink.

90% pale ale malt
    10% caraaroma
    25g Eureka at FWH
    50g Eureka at flame out
    50g Eureka at 5 days dry hop
    1469 yeast (top cropped from last batch)
    OG 1060
    FG 1014
    ABV 6%
    IBU 46
    EBC 36