Mosaic

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Taz if you don't get a good recipe by the morning PM me and I will send you one. I'm on an IPad at the moment and don't have brewmate on it.

I used it with Mosaic and it was pretty damn good.

I decided not to be so lazy.

Little Big Horn Ale

42L

ABV 5.4%

IBU 57

Efficiency 70%

OG 1.055
FG 1.014

Perle 6.8kg
Munich 2kg
Medium Crystal 600gms
Wheat 600gms
Acidulated Malt 500gms

Mosaic

30gms @ 30
40gms @ 10
40gms @ 5
40gms @ 0

Salts, brewbrite and yeast nutrient as per your usual process.

Dry hop if you wish but be gentle or you will have passion fruit fizz.

haldini said:
What style did you use it in, Rowy?
APA's and AIPA's mate.

I'm pretty close to above.

59% pale
20% wheat
20% Munich
1% acidulated

20 ibu with something like Magnum and another 20-30 with mosaic from 10 mins to whirlpool and a decent dry hop at 5-10 points to go in the ferment

Booyah

I'm not sure et was it is but accidulated adds something toan APA or an AIPA

jaymzica said:
im going to try an extract pale ale with mosaic. (prob my last extract before i go to grains ect) Ive been spending a bit of time at Kooinda brewery drinking their Mosaic pale and im in love with it. its just amazing. I couldt drink it all day!
I had a kooi mosaic ipa at gabs, smelled illegal.

Is Mosaic poised to become the next Amarillo? "Sorry, we can't get any, there is limited stock at $500 per gram"?

At that rate I am about to brew a $90,000 brew! Quite a title........

My 2c: Things are moving so fast with hops at the moment. Given the amount of money flying around I predict:

1. About 5 'new best ever' varieties launched each year for the next 5 years

2. A major shake out/consolidation in 4-5 years where the actual number of varieties will drop

3. Problems for HB'ers who come up with a great recipe but can;t get their hands on hops e.g. Riwaka

I have brewed with Mosiac 2 times now.

First time, it was amongst a mix of galaxy, simcoe and centennial - so can not comment on its effect on the out come - but ******* awesome APA, so close to Bridge Road APA. In fact, almost spot on.

Second time was ALL Cents and Mosaic.

Brewed 2 cubes.

Fermented in separate fermenters and dry hopped one with ALL Cents and the other with ALL Mosaic @ 1.5 g/l.

These kegs are only 3 days old but the difference is astounding.

I love Cents and it is a great beer but the mosaic dry hopped V has more depth and keeps you wanting more to examine.

Not great at the flavour association thing but I would say the Mosaic hopped version has an almost berry note that you would never get from any C hop.

2.001 c

There is a trend at the moment for farmers, especially in the US to be replacing traditional crops with high alpha type cultivars, more bang for the buck so to speak.. I was told that a few farms have doubled their Amarillo yards over the last season or two, but it generally takes 3-4 seasons to get a decent yield increase.

With all these new types coming into play, there will hopefully be some easing of pressure on other traditional varieties as new recipes are formulated with the new hops.. Personally I see this in my own back yard, I sold most of my Amarillo that I had in favour of hops like mosaic and I'm still pleased I did. I've got enough for a couple of Amarillo brews but think I will be experimenting (with the little time available to me) with other sorts I've not used.

Tried Epic's Mosaic IPA last night. The aroma was disappointing. It didn't have that beautiful, perfumey aroma of the Kooinda Mosaic Ale that was at GABS, the Epic bottle I sampled had more of a rotten vegetable aroma... however, the flavour was beautiful - I could taste what I was smelling with the Kooinda. Interestingly, I didn't rate the flavour of the Kooinda highly, the Epic brew beat it in the flavour department IMO.

The last few days has seen me battling valiantly through my "never ending" lager to free up a tap for my Mosaic dry-hopped IPA to come online... hard word, but somebody has to do it.

its amazing how different beers can be in the bottle to the keg though too spies dog.

maybe it was just that the kooi one was fresh kegged and the epic one's been bottled and sitting there a while.
keen to see how it tastes spiesy. brew session soon. you coming to the july case swap?

Nothing interesting to say other than I am enjoying an AIPA at the moment that was bittered with CTZ and heaps of mosaic towards the end of the boil and at flameout. I will be buying more mosaic for sure and am keen too see how it fares as a primary bittering hop as well as how it plays with others.

For those who like to play around and move outside the hops listed in recipes, mosaic isa good one to try!

Just did a standard double batch, single hop, West Coast IPA with 200g of Mosaic. I've yet to taste this hop so can't wait for the results.

I've got an APA in the fermentor ATM single hopped with Mosaic and it tastes deelish. I don't have the most articulate palate but sampling it all I can taste is those berry jube lollies and something else, maybe melon or kiwifruit? I'd planned on dry hopping this but not sure if I want passionfruit to take over. Anyone else picked up on these flavours before dryhopping?

Latest posts

Back