Mongrel Weizen Stout

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newguy

To err is human, to arrr is pirate
Reaction score
Decided to try something very different for a change. Am currently mashing an oatmeal weizen stout. :huh: I'm going to try fermenting it using wyeast 3068 weihenstephan wheat. It's either going to be really good or really ugly.

10% rolled oats
35% malted wheat
8% caramel wheat
3% roasted barley
44% 2 row

1 bittering addition to 21 IBU. Shooting for an OG of 1.058.

Decided to try something very different for a change. Am currently mashing an oatmeal weizen stout. :huh: I'm going to try fermenting it using wyeast 3068 weihenstephan wheat. It's either going to be really good or really ugly.

10% rolled oats
35% malted wheat
8% caramel wheat
3% roasted barley
44% 2 row

Good on you :rolleyes: should be good..

Good to try something a bit different. Could be great, could be drain cleaner, but the only way to find out is to give it a go. I'll be interested to know how it turns out so let us know how it is when it's done. :)

10% rolled oats
35% malted wheat
8% caramel wheat
3% roasted barley
44% 2 row

Sound interesting.The yeast character may be muted by the malt bill maybe??????
Let us know how it turns out you Pioneer.

Weizen nigrescens

I'll definitely post back once it's done. Should be in about a week. The wort tasted good, that's for sure. :beerbang:

Sounds like a good hybrid. I'm a big fan of weizen bier hybrids, they generally work out very nicely.

Sounds very interesting indeed!

Good to see more people stepping outside the square :)

I made a Smoked Hefeweizen once with 3068, and it was interesting to say the least. Not the best beer i ever made but something worth trying. Smoked bananna's wernt really the best combo in the world. Smoke goes better with deep malt flavours.

Grain bill looks the goods....... will be a nice smooth stout.

Didnt Bindi throw a stout on a Belgian yeast a while ago........ i recal him saying it was great!

cheers

Sounds very interesting indeed!

Good to see more people stepping outside the square :)

I made a Smoked Hefeweizen once with 3068, and it was interesting to say the least. Not the best beer i ever made but something worth trying. Smoked bananna's wernt really the best combo in the world. Smoke goes better with deep malt flavours.

Grain bill looks the goods....... will be a nice smooth stout.

Didnt Bindi throw a stout on a Belgian yeast a while ago........ i recal him saying it was great!

cheers

Yep, it was White Labs 565 Saison yeast cake from a racked brew, could not waste it [of bother washing it], and it was so nice ;) must do it again.
Saison Stout. :lol:

Sounds good actually :)
I'm partial to a good dunkleweizn... I'll certainly be interested to see how you go. Still, with all the dark grains I'd stay away from warm fermentations and follow the 30 degree rule, to emphasise the phenolics. 90% of homebrew weizens I taste are so estery they are nigh undrinkable.

MFS.

See....... beer doesnt ruin your memory.

I can still remember beer related stuff!

:)

Thanks for the elaboration Bindi. I have a pack of 3787 on order to begin my Belgian Journey. Thinking of using it to make a dark Imperial stout or big porter type beer as a Xmas beer to store till december.

More to life than the BJCP hey!

cheers

See....... beer doesnt ruin your memory.

I can still remember beer related stuff!

:)

Thanks for the elaboration Bindi. I have a pack of 3787 on order to begin my Belgian Journey. Thinking of using it to make a dark Imperial stout or big porter type beer as a Xmas beer to store till december.

More to life than the BJCP hey!

cheers

So true :lol: :lol: but the [boring] style police will hunt you down, How do you think new styles started? Staying 'in the square', I think not.
Just do it.

I made recently a "Schwarzwiezen"
Basically a Dunkel wiezen recipe with a moderate amount of chocolate (150g)and carafa (100g) on top .
Added a 3333 yeast, it's quite drinkable, little bit bready, little bit roasty

It's alive! B)

P5040001.JPG

Is that the one your fermenting ! What happened, did your mother in law look at it :eek:

Yep, that's the oatmeal weizen stout. Almost all my beers have blowoffs like that. It's usually a 50/50 chance whether it will escape the pot like this one. I've found that any wheat beers tend to have more vigorous blowoffs.

Yep, that's the oatmeal weizen stout. Almost all my beers have blowoffs like that. It's usually a 50/50 chance whether it will escape the pot like this one. I've found that any wheat beers tend to have more vigorous blowoffs.

What size are your blow off tubes (diameter wise). Excuse my rudeness but why are your blow offs that vigourous / much ? Looks abnormally big even for Canadians :rolleyes: (Americans, well, they think everything is bigger and better)

The vinyl tubes are 1" ID, 1.25" OD. They slide right into the mouth of a standard carboy and make an airtight fit. All the homebrewers I know have blowoffs this vigorous. It's a combination of a lot of yeast and good oxygenation. Yeast: I build up my starters several times and usually pitch about 700ml per carboy (this isn't pure slurry, just total starter volume). I then reuse the yeast by pitching directly onto the yeast cake 2 more times. This is the 3rd and last use of this yeast, but the first one was just as energetic as this one is. Oxygen: a shot of pure oxygen from a stone. These batches got 15 seconds per carboy, but I usually do 30 for other yeasts. 3068 produces less banana the more oxygen you introduce. I like the banana character, so I use less oxygen for 3068.

The vinyl tubes are 1" ID, 1.25" OD. They slide right into the mouth of a standard carboy and make an airtight fit. All the homebrewers I know have blowoffs this vigorous. It's a combination of a lot of yeast and good oxygenation. Yeast: I build up my starters several times and usually pitch about 700ml per carboy (this isn't pure slurry, just total starter volume). I then reuse the yeast by pitching directly onto the yeast cake 2 more times. This is the 3rd and last use of this yeast, but the first one was just as energetic as this one is. Oxygen: a shot of pure oxygen from a stone. These batches got 15 seconds per carboy, but I usually do 30 for other yeasts. 3068 produces less banana the more oxygen you introduce. I like the banana character, so I use less oxygen for 3068.

I have not seen anyone here in Oz aim to brew expecting such vigourous blowoffs. I understand the hows, perhaps not the whys ? For a case such as the 3068, makes sense if that's what you are after. I'm guessing such big powerful yeasts must mean quicker fermenations. Does this equate to better ?

Quick fermentations, I think, are better. The reason being that the yeast consumes the sugars quickly, thus leaving nothing for bacteria, should they be in the wort. I'm not familiar with the huge megabreweries, but I know that micros and brewpubs pitch enough yeast that fermentation is largely done in 4-5 days. My ales are usually done in about 7, but can take longer if the yeast is not very flocculant, like wyeast's 2565 kolsch.

By the way, the temperature of the carboys is 19C.

Oh yes, the size has something to do with it as well. I'm sorry I didn't clue into that fact earlier. These are 23l carboys, which are more or less the standard here. I usually put ~21l in them. I definitely lose some beer through the blowoff, but not much. I once tried only filling them to ~19l, but they still ended up blowing off anyway so I now just say screw it and put a lot in them.

Latest posts

Back