Mini Keg Discussion / Mods / Show Off - Dedicated Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To remove the PRV you would need to grab it with vice grips or similar, this would mark it. Your better off returning it for replacement.

Hopsta said:
Anyone had any issue with gas leaking out of the hole on the side of the pressure relief valve? First time using it, I've got 5lt of beer in there that i cant carb. Every time i turn the gas on it pisses out of the relief valve. If i push down slightly on the valve it shuts of the leak. Cant see where to pull this bit apart, and not sure even if i did that i could fix it. Any suggestions before i hit up ATHB for a replacement?

looking at some of the ones i have in the shop, the PRV can be tightened and loosened with your fingers, no need for pliers, well at least not on the couple i tested. Just use your fingers and unscrew the base of the PRV dotn use the ring to screw it. and check everything looks ok and then screw it back on tight.

If you need a little extra grip to twist the prv off, wrap one of those fat rubber bands around it a couple of times. Better grip on the metal and on your fingers.

If you've got a spare poppet valve .
20161212_163426.jpg1.jpg 20161212_163501.jpg2.jpg

Attach disconnect first ,place spring in centre ,line up tap and push together.It's a bit fiddly to put together but it works ok.
This one might be better if you have one.

Attachments

• zzzBmp.bmp3.jpg
    zzzBmp.bmp3.jpg
    2.7 KB · Views: 61
All Things Homebrew said:
looking at some of the ones i have in the shop, the PRV can be tightened and loosened with your fingers, no need for pliers, well at least not on the couple i tested. Just use your fingers and unscrew the base of the PRV dotn use the ring to screw it. and check everything looks ok and then screw it back on tight.
I took off the faulty PRV easy enough, everything looked fine. Screwed it back in but still leaky. I've two head units, to ensure i wasn't missing anything i unscrewed the PRV off the head unit that was working to compare with the faulty PRV. Nothing unusual, but now they both leak. Not having much luck here, i've only got them under 35 psi pressure nothing they shouldn't easily handle.

I noticed one of my PRVs a little loose once and as mark says it was only finger tight. But when I did this I had some pressure in the tank and as I tightened the PRV base again the gas stopped flowing just fine. I've got one in my backpack so will have to look when I get on this next train

Yeah, not loose at all this one. Don't use pliers though, put an Allen key into the relief port and try and rotate it. Better than scratching if possible

There's only so far you can screw the PRV in, its easy enough to see the limit, tightness is not the issue. The PRV fails after relieving then letting go of the ring. Instead of it shutting the gas off, it continues to leak, albeit slowly but very noticeably.

Ok so not a leak through the PRV body but from the valve element of it.

Zorco said:
Ok so not a leak through the PRV body but from the valve element of it.
yeh, out of that small hole on the side of the PRV.

Hopsta said:
I took off the faulty PRV easy enough, everything looked fine. Screwed it back in but still leaky. I've two head units, to ensure i wasn't missing anything i unscrewed the PRV off the head unit that was working to compare with the faulty PRV. Nothing unusual, but now they both leak. Not having much luck here, i've only got them under 35 psi pressure nothing they shouldn't easily handle.
Mate......you've just provided the answer here!

Read the little instruction booklet that came with all of the bits and pieces. I recall it stating that the PRV on these will automatically vent at >30psi

Yeah, I have forced carb mine at only 25 - 2 6 psi max. I fill mine when filling my corny with 18 ltrs then 4.5 ltrs into one of my 5 ltr ones from a 23 ltr batch. Cold of course.
Presurise chilled beer to 26 psi, purge head of air out using the valve, shake the beer can like when you shake a soft drink bottle using a carb cap when making soda water. Shake vigorously for about 20 secs, turn gas off, shake till pressure drops to about 23-24 psi and stops, if it creeps lower give another 3 -5 sec burst of gas while shaking. Usually takes me 1 minute to gas a mini.
Disconnect and leave over night or at least several hours in fridge to stabilise . Usually perfect next day, and then only needs pouring pressure .

If you go past 30 psi then the valve will leak. As is designed for.

If pressure transfer and filtering out of my kegmenter then these little 5 ltr ones are ******* gold, I do 45 ltr batches, 2 cornies and one 5 ltr mini, all ready to go and skull!!!! Loving this stuff and my little shineys

goatchop41 said:
Mate......you've just provided the answer here!

Read the little instruction booklet that came with all of the bits and pieces. I recall it stating that the PRV on these will automatically vent at >30psi
Hahaha... rule #1 - Read the Manual. Thanks goatchop! At 25 PSI i'll sleep easy knowing i wont lose my 9lt cylinder to a leak. Cheers!

Latest posts

Back