Mini Keg Discussion / Mods / Show Off - Dedicated Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi All, Just wondering how you guys manage your kegs? I have acquired 6 x 8L kegs and 3 x 5L kegs. I have 3 tapping heads and the remaining kegs have the blank caps. Do you just switch the tapping head to the next keg and if so how do you carbonate it beforehand?
Thanks
yes - switching heads is what I would typically do (and then purge head space with CO2)
For carbonating you can get a carbonation cap for the mini kegs.
Not sure if any of the sponsors sell them, but ikegger do.
KEG CARBONATION CAP
mini-keg-carbonation-cap_200x.jpg

yes - switching heads is what I would typically do (and then purge head space with CO2)
For carbonating you can get a carbonation cap for the mini kegs.
Not sure if any of the sponsors sell them, but ikegger do.
KEG CARBONATION CAP
mini-keg-carbonation-cap_200x.jpg

We have some reluctance with putting a pressurisable cap on these without PRV. It's only $4 more expensive jut to get the proper ball lock post lid. Is there any reason you wouldn't just us this:
https://www.kegland.com.au/mini-keg-ball-lock-tapping-head-with-silicone-dip-tube.html

We have some reluctance with putting a pressurisable cap on these without PRV. It's only $4 more expensive jut to get the proper ball lock post lid. Is there any reason you wouldn't just us this:
https://www.kegland.com.au/mini-keg-ball-lock-tapping-head-with-silicone-dip-tube.html

I have considered getting 6 x tapping heads for $174 plus delivery but I was thinking that for 6 x $5 ($30 plus delivery) I could turn the blank caps into 0.3 bar prv caps. Are you saying KL sells prv caps for $25/unit as I couldn't find them?

Hi All, Just wondering how you guys manage your kegs? I have acquired 6 x 8L kegs and 3 x 5L kegs. I have 3 tapping heads and the remaining kegs have the blank caps. Do you just switch the tapping head to the next keg and if so how do you carbonate it beforehand?
Thanks
I have the 5L fill it and let it chill in the fridge overnight, then set you reg to 16PSI, tip it on its side and rock for 3 minutes, turn the gas off and rock of another 30sec. Let it sit in the fridge for a few hours then if you have flow control taps go nuts if not release the pressure and set your serving pressure. It’s not perfect but it will be pretty close. Use the tapping head, if you carb and then put the blank plate on it will be hard to remove.

Last edited:
Holy thread resurrection, Batman!

And greetings from the UK.

I am posting here to see if anyone is still using these SS mini-kegs. There's not much on any UK forums regarding the kegs and certainly nothing as in depth as this thread that I can find.

By way of an introduction I have been using the cheap "easy kegs" for years and have about 20 on rotation. Four fit in an under counter fridge and I use the top taps (partystar deluxe/beer king 2000) to dispense. Fill from FV with some primings to condition and store until needed. Dispense around half the keg without additional CO2 until the pressure reduces then use a touch of CO2 as & when necessary to keep the beer flowing. I aim for "normal" UK cask beer levels of carbonation, so NOT warm and flat ;) but a little gentle tingle rather than an aggressive fizz.

I have had too many messy failures recently and have lost my supply of free kegs (new or used once) to replace the kegs as they get old and knackered so have looked as the 5L SS kegs as a natural (but more expensive!) replacement.

I have read the whole thread and it started nice and positively which led me to believe I was on to a winner, but then I hit the pages where people were having problems with poorly finished(?) kegs leading to tainting and discolouration of the beer and faulty regulators. I've come out the other side now but see updates on this thread have tailed off.

I have bought 1 keg so far and filled it on Tuesday before I found this thread so cannot now check the inside. THe outside all appears fine and dandy with no obvious defects.

What I would like to know, as above, is are people still using these and, if so, did the quality issues improve? Is anybody using these successfully for long term storage? My aim is to gradually replace all my old kegs over time and continue priming, conditioning and storing in kegs, and carry on with a 4 tap set up.

Any updates would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Oz (In The Garden of England, on the Other Side of the World.)

@Oz_UK
So it appears I'm on the other side of this issue you have. I'm wanting to use small kegs for cask conditioning of beer and then dispense via beer engine. I'd thought about using the 5 litre kegs that you have used a lot but they aren't available down here in NZ. Covid and brewery use in the rest of the world has stopped their export here.
I have one of the 5 litre kegs which I use for carry arounds but it does seem an expensive option and would cost a fortune really for managing 25 litre batches.

I have been looking around for alternatives and given the low pressure cask type ale have been considering these
https://www.supercheapauto.co.nz/p/...tre-blue/340673.html?cgid=SCN01040902#start=3
Not sure if Halfords or camping/ caravan supply in UK would have one.

A floating dip tube from the bottom port and an adjust to the lid to fit a corney keg bulkhead fitting ( ideally a gas and liquid post ) would allow closed filling, agreed not that necessary for cask conditioning but useful in some cases, can use a pressure gauge or spunding valve on the post it and inject gas.

A little bigger than the 5 litre kegs but food grade as water container and could be propped up at an angle so the yeast accumulated below the exit bung.

It's worth a try. What do you think?

Hello,
I've been using the Kegland mini kegs for the past twelve months. I have 2 x 2L, and 2 x 5L, all with tapping heads. I pressure transfer from my cornys kept in a fridge in the shed into the minis to keep inside the house. I find the KL minis to be extremely well- finished, with no deliterious effects on the beer whatsoever.

@Oz_UK
So it appears I'm on the other side of this issue you have. I'm wanting to use small kegs for cask conditioning of beer and then dispense via beer engine. I'd thought about using the 5 litre kegs that you have used a lot but they aren't available down here in NZ. Covid and brewery use in the rest of the world has stopped their export here.
I have one of the 5 litre kegs which I use for carry arounds but it does seem an expensive option and would cost a fortune really for managing 25 litre batches.

I have been looking around for alternatives and given the low pressure cask type ale have been considering these
https://www.supercheapauto.co.nz/p/...tre-blue/340673.html?cgid=SCN01040902#start=3
Not sure if Halfords or camping/ caravan supply in UK would have one.

A floating dip tube from the bottom port and an adjust to the lid to fit a corney keg bulkhead fitting ( ideally a gas and liquid post ) would allow closed filling, agreed not that necessary for cask conditioning but useful in some cases, can use a pressure gauge or spunding valve on the post it and inject gas.

A little bigger than the 5 litre kegs but food grade as water container and could be propped up at an angle so the yeast accumulated below the exit bung.

It's worth a try. What do you think?
That's what I use with the hand pump, well not exactly them but the no chill cubes.
002.JPG

@wide eyed and legless
That's good, the polypin is that just a CO2 reservoir collapsing as the beer is drawn ?
Can't quite work out if the bench is low or the Engine is quite high up. I'm thinking low bench given height of the crates.

@wide eyed and legless
That's good, the polypin is that just a CO2 reservoir collapsing as the beer is drawn ?
Can't quite work out if the bench is low or the Engine is quite high up. I'm thinking low bench given height of the crates.
The collapsible water carrier is full of co2, so yes, as the beer is drawn off the vacuum is replaced by co2.

If you don’t have bottled co2 you can fill the bag from your fermenter, just connect it to the airlock or whatever while you are fermenting.

Thanks for the replies chaps. I'll see how I get on with my new keg before getting any more. Would prefer to stick to a SS set up for its longevity.

I thought this might be a bit more lively. Some of the UK forums are not so busy these days as people have presumably drifted over to facebook and the like to pose their questions.

Happy brewing!

Back