Mini Keg Discussion / Mods / Show Off - Dedicated Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That does seem low unless you are dispensing at high pressure.

16 g of CO2 is about 8 litres at STP.

If you had a top pressure of 20psi =~ 140kPa, that's an absolute pressure of 240 kPa, the volume would be reduced: 8 litres at STP becomes 3.3 litres at 240 kPa.

Zorco said:
When you screw in the bulb does it burst out around the thread before the face of the bulb compresses against the nylon seal?
nope
screws in without any noticeable leakage

sbob. try contacting them I've already had one of my regs replaced. see if its doing the same thing as it.

I'd try another couple of bulbs and see if it is consistent. To be honest, I sometimes notice a bulb emptying prematurely but I don't care. I just reload and start firing off more beers.

Interested in how your leak tests go though. I might try the same.

When taking the 5L keg out, I fill it and match the head pressure to the serving pressure of the big kegs. Once I arrive at the venue, I use the PRV to completely vent the 5L keg, then connect the regulator with the dispensing bulb and slowly increase the pressure until it flows right. I am on my first bulb and have dispensed two kegs. No idea how much gas is left in the first bulb, but it was certainly enough to push out two loads of 5L.

I agree with Peteru. On my first attempt I emptied a full keg and had gas left over even with a bit of wastage as well due to setting too high an initial pressure and venting

Gave a keg to my son who had no keg experience whatsoever and he had no trouble emptying the keg with 1 bulb and found the setup easy to use

I did an experiment when mine arrived, first I just added water to the keg (5lt model) and gassed it and left for over a week. This was to check for leaks, I poured some water each day and it worked well, no leaks at all and bulb still had gas.

Next I used beer and removed the regulator after a pour and put the keg in the fridge, only just finished a keg on an empty bulb. (was a new bulb)

This does not really worry me as my idea was to use these as party kegs so I expect to finish one in a session. It would be great if removing the regulator each time did not somehow waste gas. ( yes I dialed the regulator right back each time before removing)

The 5lt keg filled to the top of the parallel walls holds 4.7lt out of interest.

Batz

Kingy said:
I pretty much get 1 bulb per keg
A couple of pours from the next keg and it's done
yep, but around $1.00 per bulb it's not a biggie for me.

barls said:
i did 2 4L with one bulb.
Did you leave it connected all the time?

it was swapped between the two as needed but connected the whole time apart from when transported

The Coleman cooler bags on wheels that hold 2 x 4L kegs (without head fittings) are on a BCeffing decent special this week, should come in at around the $42/43mark with the 20% off.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1481453622.387674.jpg
Used mine for the first time today. Filled 2 days ago and left in fridge with head on till today. Found an esky at home that fits 1 5 l jobbie with the bulk head on, a 2 litre frozen milk bottle and a vino for swmbo. Turn up to the barbie and clip on the tap and co2. Works like a charm. Close fit with the plastic disconnects hitting each other but works fine. Prob go for the ss right angle connector next.

gezzanet said:
Close fit with the plastic disconnects hitting each other but works fine. Prob go for the ss right angle connector next.

Worthwhile small investment IMO

Plenty of room between the the disconnects, and the tap looks so much better at 90deg. Looks a little close in the picture but it's fine.

post-198-0-60108200-1479459033.jpg

Hey guys just a reminder to tag 'The beer Can' on Facebook in any photos you take with the unit. I have a sneaky suspicion that which ever photo gets the most likes before new years will get some sort of PRIZE!!!!

Good Luck

Anyone had any issue with gas leaking out of the hole on the side of the pressure relief valve? First time using it, I've got 5lt of beer in there that i cant carb. Every time i turn the gas on it pisses out of the relief valve. If i push down slightly on the valve it shuts of the leak. Cant see where to pull this bit apart, and not sure even if i did that i could fix it. Any suggestions before i hit up ATHB for a replacement?

gasvalve.png

Is the pin spring loaded? Just wondering if a spring or 'o' ring has been left out.

It is spring loaded, i can feel the spring in there, it just doesn't contract enough when you let it go. Pushing down on it shuts it off.

If you can, I'd disassemble the valve, lube the oring with food grade silicone grease, reassemble and rotate the valve a little to bed it in
may just be a raised bump on the oring not letting it seat quite right without extra pressure
rotating sometimes fixes this I've found

Latest posts

Back