Mini Keg Discussion / Mods / Show Off - Dedicated Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mardoo said:
There's zero flavour degradation when the beer is left in the original corny keg, gassed from my main 6kg cylinder. The flavour doesn't come on until a week or so after the beer has been transferred to the mini keg.
Could this be from the brumby tap, if you use one? I read on ikegger that they recommend cleaning their brumby taps every week to avoid a flavour impact.

Thanks for the response. I use the Brumby that came with the mini-keg. I clean it every time I use it. Maybe I'll give my pluto gun a try with one of the metallic-tasting kegs and see whether the flavour is still there.

I used mine for the first time today and I'm a little disappointed.

Typical Chinese manufacturing issues, the threads on the keg weren't cut cleanly so there was a long sliver of stainless that was partially detached, I had to chase the threads by hand to get rid of this.

The two posts are slightly too close together so the fittings interfere, this can cause a small leak from the outlet fitting.

The above is probably exacerbated by the internal O rings in the posts being silghtly oversize so they don't seat well.

Overall a useable but far less than perfect bit of kit, I guess you get what you pay for.

I also note the poor finish, had the burrs etc.. totes agree that as a manufacturer, I'd have to make sure the product is as ready to go as possible and thread burrs is just sloppy.. I suspect par for the course though regardless of the supplier.

not noticed the disconnects touching though but at home I mostly use stainless disconnects and dont have the issue as they are a bit thinner.

didnt notice it last weekend in an 'outdoor' setting, but I was probably too pissed to notice.

I can see where your coming from LB, particularly with the attention to detail you give projects, overall I think they are pretty minor though and not without easy solution..

Im pretty chuffed with the little beasties.. though I did note the 5L doesnt hold 5L by weight, slightly less when I was filling the RIS keg and I can tell you 5kg was overflowing ;)

The finish doesn't bother me, it works good [emoji4] here I go again ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1481329166.563776.jpg

Yea same as pulling the relief valve but with a bit more control. I vent and pressurise my mini keg to 8psi then hook my jumper cable up to my cornies which are at 10psi. Then just crack the inline valve until I get a slow steady flow.
Edit: gotta have the mini keg at a lower pressure than the corny or the mini keg will blast c02 into the corny disturbing the beer

Yob said:
not noticed the disconnects touching though but at home I mostly use stainless disconnects and dont have the issue as they are a bit thinner.
That's a good tip, thanks. Mine leaks slightly if the dispense tap is left connected, I think this is due to the interference as above. I'll try to find an appropriate SS fitting and see if that solves the problem.

I should make it clear these are minor issues and as I said, fairly typical of Chinese sourced product.

Lyrebird_Cycles said:
That's a good tip, thanks. Mine leaks slightly if the dispense tap is left connected, I think this is due to the interference as above. I'll try to find an appropriate SS fitting and see if that solves the problem.

I should make it clear these are minor issues and as I said, fairly typical of Chinese sourced product.
I noticed the disconnects just touched on one keg, was not a problem.
Since I have changed the beer out to a stainless fitting, and these are 90deg. so the tap sits at the correct angle as well. Plenty of room between the disconnects now.

Surely the beer being a "La"ger adds your "missing" "La"? ...

I sing as a *. Although I hate carols ("The Holly and the Ivy" excepted) along with every other aspect of Xmas, I've had to sing a lot of them.

* I used to say I was a second rate countertenor, then I heard Andreas Scholl and I knew it was third. His breath control is extraordinary: that crescendo in that first line is incredibly difficult to do, most people run out of breath and have to shorten the last word.

Last edited by a moderator:
so using my working regulator, I went through a co2 bulb and only dispensed ~3.5L of a 5L keg...which seems low. And this is with the regulator off and disconnected for the majority of the time..took it off everytime it went into the fridge

how many dispenses should I get from a bulb? and where should i start looking for leaks?

considering the other reg is dead, im having a poor run :)

When you screw in the bulb does it burst out around the thread before the face of the bulb compresses against the nylon seal?

Latest posts

Back