Mini Keg Discussion / Mods / Show Off - Dedicated Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well then, I don't need to buy any zinc cream sunblock anytime soon.

I'll give the zinc supplement a good go. Of course, if someone can come up with a better alternative that is cost effective, I'm all ears, but for now, I'll just go with what I've got...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiHdpAVIHgo

Noobie mini kegger mistake today, filled her up, burped with co2, all good till I realized I'd screwed the head on and forgotten to attach the dip tube [emoji51][emoji51] not a big one but annoying enough[emoji23][emoji23]

I think I have found an alternate (to the $29 shipped from ikegger) source of adapters to go from a standard co2 bottle to the mini regulators but need confirmation on thread size for the mini regulator, from what I have read they take both 16g and 74g bulbs but I believe these to be two different threads (3/8 and 5/8). Do they come with an adapter to fit one or the other? if so what would be the better thread to connect to the mini regulator, the 16g/3/8" or the 74g/5/8" ?

Did anyone manage to find a spring that fits?

I've just been using a rubber band to help from accidental knocks

TJP said:
I think I have found an alternate (to the $29 shipped from ikegger) source of adapters to go from a standard co2 bottle to the mini regulators but need confirmation on thread size for the mini regulator, from what I have read they take both 16g and 74g bulbs but I believe these to be two different threads (3/8 and 5/8). Do they come with an adapter to fit one or the other? if so what would be the better thread to connect to the mini regulator, the 16g/3/8" or the 74g/5/8" ?
Correct, two different thread sizes. There's a little adapter that should've come with your kit. I shamelessly plagiarised the below from EalingDrop's post in the MKII bulk buy thread which may help;
s-l1600.jpg

mtb said:
Correct, two different thread sizes. There's a little adapter that should've come with your kit. I shamelessly plagiarised the below from EalingDrop's post in the MKII bulk buy thread which may help;
s-l1600.jpg
Thanks, that's exactly what I was after. I haven't got mine (regulator) yet, it's coming in MKIII (or maybe it's MK2.5.) I had initially thought about using the soda stream bottle horizontally like I plan to with the mini keg but then realised it would kill the regulator, so now thinking of a more squat paintball bottle or maybe one with an anti syphon tube but not sure that would 100% save the regulator. I might even undo the valve on the SodaStream bottle and see if I could put an anti syphon tube in there as I already have the bottle.

The good news is the supplier on Alibaba has SodaStream(Aus), paintball and normal co2 bottle adapters to 5/8 for the mini regs.

Hey there, I've been filling my mini kegs and just leaving them in my fridge as a convenient indoor dispense option. However, I'm finding that after a week or so the beers get a metallic taste which is very similar to the flavour beers pasteurised in the bottle get - that kind of coppery, bottle-y taste, or just plain metallic. I don't get this flavour from my normal kegs when the beer sits in there for months. As I recall from my Whip-Its days (all four or so of them before I recognised the massive brain-cell death per experience), gas from this type of cartridge has a metallic flavour. Do you reckon it's the gas from the cartridges that is giving this flavour? Anyone else experiencing this?

There's zero flavour degradation when the beer is left in the original corny keg, gassed from my main 6kg cylinder. The flavour doesn't come on until a week or so after the beer has been transferred to the mini keg. The mini kegs are gassed from my main cylinder, bled, and gassed again before filling, just like for my normal kegs. Based on the flavour stability in the corny keg I'm confident it's not brewing or fermenting process. I've checked pressure-level stability and the mini-kegs hold 10psi for a couple weeks with no sign of loss. I'm confident it's not that they're gassing out and oxidation is starting. My beer transfer process into the mini keg is the same as my transfer process into the corny. The cartridge gas is the only thing I can come up with.

BTW, I don't leave the gas cartridges connected (hence the pressure-holding tests I mentioned). I only connect the cartridges when serving to ensure the gas level remains correct without leakage.

Any input, experiences or other ideas?

BTW, I stopped smoking crack years ago, so I'm not just smoking crack ;)

Not sure , I've been filling mine on the day or day before use with no issues yet.

I've just filled one 5 ltr today after filling 2 cornies with my latest lager all pressure fermented and pressure filtered/ transferred from a 45 ltr batch from my kegmenter.
I won't be drinking these beers till next weekend, so I'll try a glass from 6 days in mini keg and one out if cornie to see if I see a diff...

Excellent, cheers. Yeah, I've filled and emptied a keg on the same day, and no flavour change whatsoever. It seem to become noticeable after a week or so.

Mardoo said:
Hey there, I've been filling my mini kegs and just leaving them in my fridge as a convenient indoor dispense option. However, I'm finding that after a week or so the beers get a metallic taste which is very similar to the flavour beers pasteurised in the bottle get - that kind of coppery, bottle-y taste, or just plain metallic. I don't get this flavour from my normal kegs ...
... or other ideas?

BTW, I stopped smoking crack years ago, so I'm not just smoking crack ;)
Fwiw, I found the kegs (& maybe the reg) had a slightly metallic aroma & flavour, maybe from a tiny amount of residual oil, etc. I found that using a brewing-appropriate detergent (from Brewcraft?) then hitting it with sod perc fixed it right up. So I'd suspect residue from the manufacturing process is the culprit.
I think your CO2 bulbs will be fine.

Good to hear it's not just the crack talking.

Yeah, I just now ran Boddington's Best's PBW clone through the taps. I had previously just run Starsanthrough , although I had cleaned the kegs with both hot Tricleanium and hot PBW clone, then Starsan, before ever putting anything in them.

Not quite sure how I'd clean a reg...is such a thing possible, or even necessary?

Latest posts

Back