Mini Keg Discussion / Mods / Show Off - Dedicated Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just wanted to shout out for ATHB as our local supplier. I had a leaky keg and within 3 days had a replacememt keg at my front door. Cant beat that service. For that reason alone I wouldnt buy anywhere else.

On a seperate and more ontopic note, Im rigging up a 300micron ss filter for my 5L keg so I can dry hop directly in the keg. Fresh keg hopped beer incoming..

Are there any issues with storing one of these kegs sideways in the fridge with the ball lock head. I'm thinking of taking it out when I need a glass, then repressurising from my main co2 cylinder before returning to the fridge.

Cheers.

bingggo said:
Are there any issues with storing one of these kegs sideways in the fridge with the ball lock head. I'm thinking of taking it out when I need a glass, then repressurising from my main co2 cylinder before returning to the fridge.

I am planning a double ball lock head, picnic tap, a sodeatream bottle and one of these https://www.co2art.co.uk/products/advance-adapter-for-sodastream-cylinder-to-use-with-standard-aquarium-co2-regulators plus one of these https://www.ikegger.com/collections/accessories/products/full-size-co2-bottle-adaptor-for-professional-mini-regulator and that should save having to remove the keg every time to pour and then re-gass it.

Having had some spillage due to accidental bumping of the tap handle - does anyone (Yob) have any more information on the spring loading of these taps?

what I was told was that you can place a spring between the screw connection to the disconnect and the back of the tap, if its pulled apart you can easily see where this will go..

sorry, I dont have pictures and I suspect there is a bit of ******* about to get the right size SS spring too.

Yob said:
what I was told was that you can place a spring between the screw connection to the disconnect and the back of the tap, if its pulled apart you can easily see where this will go..

sorry, I dont have pictures and I suspect there is a bit of ******* about to get the right size SS spring too.
There was a hbt thread that described this, also mentioned the effin about to get the right spring. Don't have the link handy though.

Yeah, that's how the autoclose springs work, they push the shuttle on one side and the collar/shank on the other side. The tricky part is finding the right spring. You need to get the diameter, length and stiffness right for it to work well. I was hoping that Yob might have a tip on where to find the right spring. The standard Intertap spring is too long.

peteru said:
Yeah, that's how the autoclose springs work, they push the shuttle on one side and the collar/shank on the other side. The tricky part is finding the right spring. You need to get the diameter, length and stiffness right for it to work well. I was hoping that Yob might have a tip on where to find the right spring. The standard Intertap spring is too long.
If it's the right diameter and stiffness, it's nothing a dremel with a cutting wheel can't fix

They are, but I'm thinking the end would possibly need to be flattened/smoothed so there's nothing stabbing into seals or whatnot

I haven't got around to cutting the silicon tubing for the dip tube yet What's the optimal length?

Sounds like we need some sort of bulk purchase option for custom-made springs from overseas, for the AHB community

mtb said:
Sounds like we need some sort of bulk purchase option for custom-made springs from overseas, for the AHB community
Plenty of springmakers in Aus

nic0 said:
I haven't got around to cutting the silicon tubing for the dip tube yet What's the optimal length?
Just short of the bottom...

Depends of which tank eh? 2,4 or 5?

peteru said:
im going to a company tomorrow that specializes in springs , I'll take a tap and get it fitted properly and let you know how I go, if I can get the right ones I'll post the dimensions so you can all source the right ones!

Latest posts

Back