Mini Keg Discussion / Mods / Show Off - Dedicated Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bevan said:
Has anyone had any issues with the beer out disconnects (black one). Other than the ones supplied (which have "keg king" on them) I can't get the cheap ones I've got from my LBS to go on. No problems getting them on my corny kegs.
I'm using a stainless steel Keg King disconnect (90 degree) and have had no issue.

Man, these things work great if you get the disconnects on the right posts! Derp...

And I'm in for some Bandicoot swag too if it comes along.

peteru said:
I'm using a stainless steel Keg King disconnect (90 degree) and have had no issue.

I like the look of these, they would keep the tap at the correct angle. I have heard people having issues with them, like the lock-in balls rusting? That's the main reason I haven't bought them.
So you are finding them OK?

The one on the mini keg is about a week old, so too early to tell. I have three pairs of these disconnects inside the KK4 and those are about 6 months old. I have taken the three beer disconnects apart for cleaning and lubrication about a month ago. I did this because two of them were getting harder to put on / take off. There were no visible issues anywhere and once they were lubed and put back, they are easy to work again.

If you do end up using one of these disconnects on the 5L minikeg, you'll find that the supplied tap sits nice and low and the end of the spout reaches just past the end of the rim. Pretty much exactly far enough so that any tap drips run down the side of the minikeg.

I'm now seriously contemplating one of those inline flow control adaptors that fit behind the tap. It should make the tap reach just that little bit further so that any drips clear the keg.

Got to keep that bling shiny! It certainly looks a lot smarter with the black disconnect replaced by a metal one. The grey gas disconnect looks fine.

yummybear: Stickers look great, they're transparent?

This is how I transfer since I don't have a spunding valve. Just use a ball or needle valve to let out a bit of pressure for flow.
20160705_150302 (Medium).jpg

The keg was blocked from a dry hop, so that's why its on it's side and I'm transferring out of the gas post.
Another great use for our mini-kegs, transferring the last of a blocked keg.

Redman9 said:
yummybear: Stickers look great, they're transparent?

This is how I transfer since I don't have a spunding valve. Just use a ball or needle valve to let out a bit of pressure for flow.
20160705_150302 (Medium).jpg

The keg was blocked from a dry hop, so that's why its on it's side and I'm transferring out of the gas post.
Another great use for our mini-kegs, transferring the last of a blocked keg.
To prevent blockages, release the pressure, take the poppet out of the post and the pin out of the disconnect and it will flow no worries.

I dry hop around 100g into a corny keg and after 3 days pressure transfer to the serving keg using no poppets and pins, I run the first bit with hop debris into a jug, back off the pressure then connect and no worries.

Pin out of the disconnect? I've got to figure out how to do that

^ ^ the top of the disconnect has a spot to fit a big flathead screwdriver, you can just undo it and the pin/spring will pop out then just screw it back in. There is a oring as well that needs to stay on to seal it up.

I took peteru's advise and tried the K.K. 90 Deg. disconnect. So much better than having the tap on some stupid angle. :super:

mmmyummybeer said personalized stickers on the kegs were the go as well.

Just need beer to put into them, just a few days........

DSCF7363.JPG

DSCF7362.JPG

Hey Batz,
Looks great. Thanks for the font today really impressed, can't wait to kit out my set up this weekend and the beers at the Bonsai brewery were great. Matt deff knows how to brew. Great to see someone giving it a red hot go , I will deff be dropping back into there for a few next time we pass that way. Your property was really tranquil.... Now I'm back down to the rat race....

And yes, I will save a nice spot somewhere to put your sticker:)
Cheers mate

Coldspace said:
Hey Batz,
Looks great. Thanks for the font today really impressed, can't wait to kit out my set up this weekend and the beers at the Bonsai brewery were great. Matt deff knows how to brew. Great to see someone giving it a red hot go , I will deff be dropping back into there for a few next time we pass that way. Your property was really tranquil.... Now I'm back down to the rat race....

And yes, I will save a nice spot somewhere to put your sticker:)
Cheers mate
Great to meet you and have a few beers Matt. Lets do it again soon. :drinks:

Batz said:
I took peteru's advise and tried the K.K. 90 Deg. disconnect. So much better than having the tap on some stupid angle. :super:

mmmyummybeer said personalized stickers on the kegs were the go as well.

Just need beer to put into them, just a few days........
Gold... :kooi:

bevan said:
Has anyone had any issues with the beer out disconnects (black one). Other than the ones supplied (which have "keg king" on them) I can't get the cheap ones I've got from my LBS to go on. No problems getting them on my corny kegs.
yes, me too but my liquid disconnects are not cheapies. they fit all my cornies no probs, but will not fit the mini kegs at all. I guess I'll have to get some 'special' ones to fit the minis

So I forced carbed an ordinary bitter and forgot to vent the pressure before hooking up the regulater and pretty sure it's fucked. As no pressure is getting through (changed canister just in case and it iced up when I undone it.). So to keep me and the misses entertained I had to use my big bottle for the arvo. ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1479534338.912860.jpgImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1479534375.454103.jpg

A few of these in a bigger esky with through wall tap kits with a smaller gas bottle would be pretty good I reckon.

Kingy said:
So I forced carbed an ordinary bitter and forgot to vent the pressure before hooking up the regulater and pretty sure it's fucked. As no pressure is getting through (changed canister just in case and it iced up when I undone it.). So to keep me and the misses entertained I had to use my big bottle for the arvo.
attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1479534338.912860.jpg
attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1479534375.454103.jpg

A few of these in a bigger esky with through wall tap kits with a smaller gas bottle would be pretty good I reckon.
Before you chuck it, you want to send it to me to have a look at? No charge if I can fix it.

Latest posts

Back