mild-wanting to brew in morning

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lukasfab

Reaction score
how does this mild look guys?
wanting to do this in the morning

cheers

b]dark mild[/b]
Mild

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 21.0
Total Grain (kg): 3.318
Total Hops (g): 50.00
Original Gravity (OG): 1.034 (°P): 8.5
Final Gravity (FG): 1.009 (°P): 2.3
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 3.34 %
Colour (SRM): 20.5 (EBC): 40.4
Bitterness (IBU): 20.4 (Average)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 70
Boil Time (Minutes): 60

Grain Bill
----------------
2.709 kg Pale Ale Malt (81.65%)
0.483 kg Caraaroma (14.56%)
0.126 kg Chocolate (3.8%)

Hop Bill
----------------
20.0 g East Kent Golding Pellet (4.7% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (1 g/L)
15.0 g Cascade Pellet (4.1% Alpha) @ 20 Minutes (Boil) (0.7 g/L)
15.0 g Cascade Pellet (4.1% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil) (0.7 g/L)

Misc Bill
----------------

Single step Infusion at 69°C for 60 Minutes.
Fermented at 18°C with Danstar Nottingham

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

have roasted barley if there is to much caraaroma?

OK, my 2c so take it with as many grains of salt as you will...

Malt bill looks ok. You haven't specified what Ale malt you're using, so I assume it's something Australian, not MO or GP. I'd be tempted to add a bit of munich to boost the malt profile a little if that's the case, but each to his/her own. I like a large chunk of crystal in a Mild, and Caraaroma is nice.

Hops. Cascade? If you're looking for an English style Mild, finish with the EKG. I wouldn't even add much flavour hops, Mild is a malt and yeast driven style. If you've got absolutely nothing else to use, bitter with Cascade and flavour with the EKG. Or just bitter with EKG and leave the Cascade out altogether. Or if you have the means, use all EKG or some English hops. If you're looking at doing something off the wall, by all means, stick with what you have. There's no rule that says you can't do what you're doing, and it may turn out amazing. If you're looking to stick to style guidelines, consider omitting the Cascade.

Yeast. Nottingham. I'd suggest not. Nott is a fairly neutral ale yeast, and contribute any of the English flavours you're after in a Mild. Given that you want to let the malt and yeast do the talking, Nottingham will add very little to this beer, and you could end up with something pretty bland. If you have any English yeast (liquid, Windsor, S04) use that instead. I hate S04 and I'd rather use that in a Mild over Nott, just because it has some character. Nott is great for some beers, just not this one.

If you're planning on brewing tomorrow, I can't help you out with yeast - mine are on slants and need a few days to be stepped up. I can help you out with hops though if you'd like some Styrian Goldings. I'm in Bayswater so PM me if you need any.

thanks KS!

sorry its windsor that i have not notto!

i'm using bb ale malt. i have munich, would you just add it to the grain bill or sub some with another?

was looking at doing something bit different with the cascade but maybe i will take your advise and just finish with EKG
for a more true to style. been doing apa's for while so will take the cascade out of this one.

cheers for the offer mate but should be good for hops!

I'd sub about 3-400g of the BB Ale for Munich personally. Windsor will be much better, so that's good. Might be better to ferment it around 19-20C to let some of the character shine through.

cheers KS

adjusted recipe

b]dark mild[/b]
Mild

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 21.0
Total Grain (kg): 3.509
Total Hops (g): 37.00
Original Gravity (OG): 1.036 (°P): 9.0
Final Gravity (FG): 1.009 (°P): 2.3
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 3.54 %
Colour (SRM): 20.8 (EBC): 41.0
Bitterness (IBU): 20.4 (Average)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 70
Boil Time (Minutes): 60

Grain Bill
----------------
2.600 kg Pale Ale Malt (74.1%)
0.483 kg Caraaroma (13.76%)
0.300 kg Munich I (8.55%)
0.126 kg Chocolate (3.59%)

Hop Bill
----------------
22.0 g East Kent Golding Pellet (5.4% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (1 g/L)
15.0 g East Kent Golding Pellet (5.4% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil) (0.7 g/L)

Misc Bill
----------------

Single step Infusion at 69°C for 30 Minutes. 72c 10min - 78c 10min
Fermented at 19°C with Danstar Windsor

i will have an apa with 1272 fermenting at the same time as the mild, 1272 will be all good at 19-20c?

That recipe looks good. I haven't used 1272, so probably can't comment on that, but I'd expect fermenting at around 19C would be a happy medium for the yeasts.

1272 will be fine at 20. Wort temp, not fridge temp though.

Recipe looks good although you can get away with half the mash time for this kind of beer.

manticle, I got 69c for 30min then 72c @10min and 78c @ 10min, isn't this what you recommend for a mild?
got that for your post in another mild thread

cheers guys, smelling awesome atm!

Exactly my mash schedule for milds.

I was responding to the first post which mentions 69 for 60 mins.

I got the idea from Bribie who got it from butters and I reckon it provides great balance and body to the low alc.

That's a good idea on the mash schedule. I hadn't thought of that. Will have to try that for my next mild.

Manticle - what's the 72C for? I read it in your other post, but can you explain it a bit more?

72 is a glycoprotein rest. I got the idea from Screwtop a while back as a rest that aids head retention.

Fix mentions it in Principles of brewing science (page 48-49 of 2nd edition) and quotes Melm et al, 1995 as a reference.

Not sure if you're more interested in the science side of things or the experiential - I have noticed that a 55 rest for 5 mins and a 72 rest for 10 generally seems to result in thick foam that is very stable and laces the glass well, glassware slightly dependent. Fix says they (glycoproteins) are polymers of dextrins and middle-high molecular weight proteins. 70-74 is the temp range with 72 being optimum.

I know a few other people use this rest, including mje1980 and have noticed similar results.

ctrl-f for glyco protein on this page brings up a brief mention: http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Theory_of_Mashing and refers to Narziss and Fix.

There is an article here which focuses on the contributing factors to foam in beer and sparkling wine that mentions them a bit (mainly in regard to wine and I have only skim read): http://www.im.microbios.org/1402/01_061_Blasco.pdf

There's also this article: http://kotmf.com/beer/2012/how-to-make-beer-foamier/

Both these articles suggest yeast is a main cource of glycoproteins rather than malted barley so who knows? I believe I see results and it's also a high end dextrin rest which adds to body.

hi manticle

brewed this one and it seems very thin and not a great deal of flavour? any hints
Grain Bill
----------------
2.600 kg Pale Ale Malt (74.1%)
0.483 kg Caraaroma (13.76%)
0.300 kg Munich I (8.55%)
0.126 kg Chocolate (3.59%)

Hop Bill
----------------
22.0 g East Kent Golding Pellet (5.4% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (1 g/L)
15.0 g East Kent Golding Pellet (5.4% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil) (0.7 g/L)

Misc Bill
----------------

Single step Infusion at 69°C for 30 Minutes. 72c 10min - 78c 10min
Fermented at 19°C with Danstar Windsor

What volume?*

The 69 for 30 mins should provide a full bodied beer so check your thermometer but knowing volume will help. Grist wise, I'm not familiar with cararoma but I see mild as a bit of a malt showcase. I like a touch of roast, something biscuity/toasty mid palate and some sweetness and chewiness. I can recommend my recipe that you've probably seen - anything but thin or flavourless although it does push the higher end of BJCP guidelines (if you care about such things - I don't unless I'm judging when I'm supposed to care).

Also I'm not familiar with windsor. What was your FG? Aim for no lower than 1014, 1016 preferred. I use 1469 by preference.

*Just saw volume in your initial recipe. 21 L

Try again with a UK base, UK crystal and a toasted malt (aromatic and biscuit really gives mine a lift - both dark and light versions).

Use good UK liquid yeast.

What volume, OG and FG?

I'm brewing the following later today. I like a some biscuit in there as well as a touch of roast. Loosely based around Manticle's recipe with what I have on hand. Definitely not thin or bland.

Grain Bill
----------------
3.000 kg Pale Ale Malt (78.84%)
0.375 kg Caramunich II (9.86%)
0.150 kg Biscuit (3.94%)
0.125 kg Caraaroma (3.29%)
0.125 kg Chocolate (3.29%)
0.030 kg Roasted Barley (0.79%)

Hop Bill
----------------
15.0 g East Kent Golding Pellet (4.7% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (0.7 g/L)
15.0 g East Kent Golding Pellet (4.7% Alpha) @ 20 Minutes (Boil) (0.7 g/L)

Wyeast 1469 - West Yorkshire Ale

yep 21lt

OG 1039
FG 1017

no i dont give a toss about bjcp, will try again with biscuit and roast

thanks guys

manticle said:
1272 will be fine at 20. Wort temp, not fridge temp though.

Recipe looks good although you can get away with half the mash time for this kind of beer.
So if I had the temp senor attached to the side of the FV with the fridge temp set to 19c, would that have the wort @ around 20c?

Back