Punk Inspired IPA

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TonyF

Reaction score
Gday folks,

Had a smack pack of 1056 that I had to use up (Mfg 18/05/17... currently making a 2.5L starter to harvest some for later use and some for a brewday) and was kind of stuck with what to brew. Was thinking that I might like to try the Ahtanum hops I picked up a few months back and while looking through the DIYDog PDF from BrewDog I made the happy discovery that Punk IPA actually uses both this hop and yeast, so I kind of bastardised it to what you see below... any comments?

Knocked up with BrewMate:
Recipe Specs
----------------
21.0 L Batch
OG: 1.057 FG: 1.014 ABV: 5.60 %
Colour (SRM): 6.3 (EBC): 12.4
Bitterness (IBU): 45.7 (Average)

5.000 kg Barrett Burston - Pale Malt (90.09%)
0.400 kg Joe White Caramalt (7.21%)
0.150 kg Carapils/Dextrine (2.7%)

10.0 g Chinook Pellet (12.6% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (0.5 g/L)
10.0 g Magnum Pellet (13.8% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (0.5 g/L)
15.0 g Ahtanum Pellet (3.9% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil) (0.7 g/L)
15.0 g Chinook Pellet (12.6% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil) (0.7 g/L)
15.0 g Ahtanum Pellet (3.9% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Aroma) (0.7 g/L)
15.0 g Chinook Pellet (12.6% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Aroma) (0.7 g/L)
15.0 g Motueka NZ Pellet (6.5% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Aroma) (0.7 g/L)
25.0 g Ahtanum Pellet (3.9% Alpha) @ 0 Days (Dry Hop) (1.2 g/L)
25.0 g Chinook Pellet (12.6% Alpha) @ 0 Days (Dry Hop) (1.2 g/L)
25.0 g Motueka NZ Pellet (6.5% Alpha) @ 0 Days (Dry Hop) (1.2 g/L)

Single step Infusion at 65°C for 75 Minutes with 16L of Strike Water
Mash out at 77°C for 15 Minutes. Sparge at 75°C with 17L and then a
60 Minutes boil

Fermented at 19°C with Wyeast 1056

This is being done on a RoboBrew not that it makes much difference I guess.

I'm kind of keen to give this a bash (unless somebody points out where this might got sour, so to speak or end up tasting like shite) but I am definitely open to suggestions :)

Thanks all!

Depends what you're going for.

I love chinook but mostly use it early plus a small amount late to balance fruitier hops. Grist looks fine - slightlier heavier on the caramel than I use but have used that and more before and enjoyed. Will certainly lend a sweetness to balance the resin.
I reckon the motueka might get lost but really - looks solid enough to just brew and tweak for next time, depending on tastes and results.

Thanks Manticle.

To be honest I didn't have anything in particular in mind just wanted to brew something to use the 1056 and Ahtanum I have (I guess being an alcoholic has it's advantages :p ).

I guess with this recipe I was going for a "Punk" kind of taste and aroma. As you might be able to notice it mostly follows the old Punk recipe but with the addition of the caramalt like the new recipe and a little carapils for shits and giggles, missing the crystal hops and dry hopped like the new Punk recipe).

I've never used Motueka (or Motueka for that matter :p) and am not sure what to expect. Do you think possibly up the Motueka and drop some of the Ahtanum and Chinook (or maybe drop the Motueka all together and save it for another brew at a later date... maybe a Motueka SMaSH to see what it's like)?

should go fine. well within the spectrum of the many flavour dimensions of an IPA

Thanks Coodgee! I guess, as you say IPA does have many flavour dimensions. Some IPAs are awesome drops and others a a bit meh...hopefully this one will be pleasing to drink :D

Back